Menu

Cute maxi dresses for a reasonable price?

Janie Grace

I absolutely love the maxi dresses in the Athleta catalog. I opened it today and thought, "oh, I could wear these every day all summer and never get tired of them!" Pretty, comfy-looking but feminine and cute. HOWEVER, they are around $100 each! That is just way more than I would want to spend on a cotton tank dress (am I cheap? I'm not sure, that just sounds like a lot). So, where have you seen cute maxi dresses for not so much money? I don't want Old Navy quality (looks stretched out after three washes) but I don't want to spend upwards of $70 per dress either...

I think other people look very cute in maxi dresses, but when I put them on, I always end up looking like I went to the store in a nightgown.

Not exactly the look I'm going for. :glare:

Uh-oh. What kind of figure makes them look like a nightgown? Do you have to be tall to wear them?

I think it depends on the style, and also on what kind of shoes you wear with them.

And then there's the issue of choosing something that falls in between the "nightgown" look and the "stopped at the A&P on the way to the wedding in my ill-chosen new evening gown" look.

I'm 5'5" and if I don't wear heels with long dresses, I look like I'm a short retro hippie chick in her nightgown wandering around looking for Woodstock, but if I wear high heels, I feel like I look kind of formal, or like I'm just really, really, really old for the 8th grade semi-formal. :tongue_smilie:

Clearly, maxi dresses were not made for me. Other people look so nice in them, but they're just not my thing.

I think it depends on the style, and also on what kind of shoes you wear with them.

And then there's the issue of choosing something that falls in between the "nightgown" look and the "stopped at the A&P on the way to the wedding in my ill-chosen new evening gown" look.

I'm 5'5" and if I don't wear heels with long dresses, I look like I'm a short retro hippie chick in her nightgown wandering around looking for Woodstock, but if I wear high heels, I feel like I look kind of formal, or like I'm just really, really, really old for the 8th grade semi-formal. :tongue_smilie:

Clearly, maxi dresses were not made for me. Other people look so nice in them, but they're just not my thing.

Shoot. I'm 5'4" and I'm worried this might be how they look on me, too.

You're hilarious, BTW.

Guest inoubliable

This. I have several CK maxidresses I got for $20 at TJMaxx. Eeta: I jave some with adjustable shoulder straps so I can make them shorter. I'm 5'4 and can wear them with flip flops just fine.

Yep! I lived in them last year from spring to fall. 5'8" here and I still have to adjust them sometimes. My girls aren't lacking so my major problem is finding dresses that I won't have a wardrobe malfunction in.