Menu

Anyone in South Carolina? Near Charleston area

Joyfullyblessed

Hello,

I am hoping that there are some people in the South Carolina area who can give me some advice. My husband may be offered a job in South Carolina very soon. We currently live in Georgia and have been here most of our lives. This job is in the Daniel Island area, but we know that most likely we could not afford to live on Daniel Island. I don't know anything about what areas are good and safe to live in there. I would assume that there are nice areas around the Charleston area that would be suitable.

Please, if you are from this area, could you offer any advice or information about South Carolina and living there. We will really have lots of big decisions to make soon and we don't want to uproot the family if this is not a good place to live. ANY helpful information is appreciated. Thanks soooo much!!!

Everyone have a wonderful day! :)

My dad lives there in the Mount Pleasant area and it is *beautiful*. If you like the ocean and history, I can't imagine a better place to live. Mt Pleasant is nice and safe and very close to the downtown area. And downtown Charleston is amazing. Fort Sumter, the aqaurium, Battery Park, all the shops and parks and little museums. Just wonderful. If we weren't so rooted in Texas, I would love to live there. :)

With the expressway going through Daniel Island, apparently the commute isn't that bad. I grew up in N. Charleston -- near the Air Force Base, then near the paper mill, then on the old Navy base. There is so much history in and around the city -- I really took it for granted as a kid, but to have grown up with the old forts and plantations and the old city itself ... now, I think back and just ... wow.

Charleston is wonderful! If you go one more exit on the Mark Clark Freeway, you get to Mount Pleasant. They have real estate for all budgets. We lived there and loved it! A lot of neighborhoods have pools, and there is wonderful and inexpensive beach access on the Isle of Palms. Driving into Charleston is easy after morning traffic and before or after 5pm people get home.

North Charleston and West Ashley are probably cheaper, but West Ashley is a good deal away and North Charleston isn't as safe.

I haven't been to Daniel Island in a while. They host the Family cup tennis tournament and have Charleston's pro soccer team. There is so much to do in and around Charleston!

The only warning I have- if you don't like bridges, you won't like it!

We were going to move there in June (dh lives there through the week), but he's taking another position, so the move isn't going to happen. I'm a bit sad, actually lol. Charleston is so beautiful, and full of history. There is always something to see/attend/do! We were looking at Mt Pleasant, and also Summerville. Summerville is smaller, and maybe a bit farther, but it still only took about 20 minutes to get into Charleston. If you want to be really close to everything, Summerville probably won't be for you, but it's safe, and a nice area. Daniel's Island is gorgeous, but was way out of our price range. We still enjoyed visiting though! :)

We lived there, lived in Summerville, I worked on Daniels Island and DH worked downtown CHAS. Mount Pleasant is the pricey side of town, though you can find some affordable housing if you look really hard. West Ashley has some "troublesome" spots, in terms of crime, but has a lot of nice spots too. . Summerville is a cute little town, but it will be 30-45 minute drive. The problem with Daniels island is that there is only ONE way on/off, ie the bridge. One accident and the backup gets bad. North Charleston is going to be the closest, and cheapest, but is also known as the worst for crime, although it has pockets of nice too.

If it were me, I'd do Mount Pleasant if I could afford it.. If not, I'd go up to Summerville, for the family.

After doing a bit more looking, I really like the looks of the houses in either Goose Creek or Summerville. The homes in Mount Pleasant are quite expensive for what you get ( compared to Ga.). However, when looking in the other areas mentioned above, the homes were much more in line with what we enjoy & expect (square footage, land, etc...).

I know these areas are a bit farther out, but still do-able. I will be working from home & also possibly homeschooling my son again, so I really want to enjoy my home.

So much to consider with a possible move. Uprooting our family from an area we have lived our entire lives (and all our family lives in) & going somewhere completely new with no family around is both exciting & scary. Decisions, decisions.

None of this is definite yet, but I am a planner & like to know what we may be getting into, so I research like crazy. :)

Anyone ever heard of a company called BenefitFocus on Daniel Island? If so, what have you heard about the place?

Thanks so much! :)

After doing a bit more looking, I really like the looks of the houses in either Goose Creek or Summerville. The homes in Mount Pleasant are quite expensive for what you get ( compared to Ga.). However, when looking in the other areas mentioned above, the homes were much more in line with what we enjoy & expect (square footage, land, etc...).

I know these areas are a bit farther out, but still do-able. I will be working from home & also possibly homeschooling my son again, so I really want to enjoy my home.

So much to consider with a possible move. Uprooting our family from an area we have lived our entire lives (and all our family lives in) & going somewhere completely new with no family around is both exciting & scary. Decisions, decisions.

None of this is definite yet, but I am a planner & like to know what we may be getting into, so I research like crazy. :)

Anyone ever heard of a company called BenefitFocus on Daniel Island? If so, what have you heard about the place?

Thanks so much! :)

I don't know anything about the company. Sorry!

Just be sure you know that Daniel Island is about 25 miles away from Summerville. Charleston does have some traffic, so be prepared for a commute.

Did you look at Daniel Island real estate? We have family there and it is beautiful. When we were there last it seemed like they were building newer less fancy subdivisions. You might find something. The yards are tiny. We have other relatives in Mt Pleasant and as close as it is to DI, it still takes us 25min to go house to house. I think Summerville might feel longer than you expect because in town traffic is also slow. If it were me, I'd want to live on one of the islands- Mt Pleasant, Isle of Palms, or Sullivan's Island, and avoid going through Charleston traffic every day. I know it's a pricey area, but you'd be saving a lot of time in traffic and money in gas by being closer.

I hated Goose Creek, it was just essentially urban sprawl...no real "town"... Just a lot of neighborhoods, and the Weapons Station is there (military). Summerville is a cute little town , with a real downtown, and a neighborhood feel....of course it has its sprawl too.

Thanks again, everyone. :) One of my favorite shows, House Hunters, is actually featuring a couple purchasing a home near the Charleston, SC area on the show tonight! Fun! Good timing too. :)

My husband has a pretty big interview tomorrow morning that may tell us much more as to whether this move will actually happen or not. He has been out of work for eight months now, so we are praying for good news IF this is the best thing for our family. :)

Thanks again, everyone. :) One of my favorite shows, House Hunters, is actually featuring a couple purchasing a home near the Charleston, SC area on the show tonight! Fun! Good timing too. :)

My husband has a pretty big interview tomorrow morning that may tell us much more as to whether this move will actually happen or not. He has been out of work for eight months now, so we are praying for good news IF this is the best thing for our family. :)

Praying for you. I understand how hard the economy can hit a family.