Menu

Online Interactive Foreign Language Course

Are there specific languages that you are interested in? That info might help with giving recommendations.

Not sure yet. All I know is that we don't want just a computer-based program like Tell Me More or Rosetta Stone. We want actually class interaction without going to the community college.

The Potter's School:

http://www.potterssc...474#foreignlang

Currclick:

https://www.currclick.com/

most of the foreign classes didn't show up when I just did a quick search - they usually remove classes that are already started, or full to capacity - but I know they offer various online/live classes for several languages)

Thank you.

We've been pretty pleased with the Spanish 1 class through veritas press. The class meets online twice a week for 90 minutes each time. Ds's teacher is a native speaker who lives in Mexico City. I already signed ds up to take Spanish 2 this fall.

So you pay the course fee ($575) and then have to also buy the kit for apx $70?

I'm going to also recommend Potter's School French. (Don't know if that's the language you want.) My 9th grade dd is in French I with Madame S & French Conversations with Madame Reilly. IMHO, both are excellent teachers. Clear expectations laid out, lots of speaking opportunity in both classes, very good grammar instruction, and lots of real life cultural nuggets about France and other Francophone countries. I took 3 years of French in high school, and they are doing lots more translation work than I EVER did. And, my dd LOVES theses classes. If we continue homeschooling, she'll continue on through AP French. Also, they offer the National French Exam for $20, but that is optional. There are ministry opportunities abroad, too.

HTH,

Jennifer

• 2 weeks later...

On the Lukeion Latin, which teacher did your students have?

My son has Amy Barr for Latin, Regan Barr for Greek, and he's done a short course on Greek Vase Painting with Sue Fisher, who teaches the other Latin classes. All three of them are excellent teachers, and the classes are extremely well organized and well run. They are rigorous and intense, but also really enjoyable. DS has done many of Lukeion's 4-wk workshops, as well as the one semester grammar course (HIGHLY recommended!), and he audited Mythology A. We have been extremely pleased with all of the Lukeion courses, and DD10 can't wait to start next year.

Jackie

My son has Amy Barr for Latin, Regan Barr for Greek, and he's done a short course on Greek Vase Painting with Sue Fisher, who teaches the other Latin classes. All three of them are excellent teachers, and the classes are extremely well organized and well run. They are rigorous and intense, but also really enjoyable. DS has done many of Lukeion's 4-wk workshops, as well as the one semester grammar course (HIGHLY recommended!), and he audited Mythology A. We have been extremely pleased with all of the Lukeion courses, and DD10 can't wait to start next year.

Jackie

Thanks. I signed up dd16 today for Latin 1a and Amy Barr is scheduled to be the teacher. Glad to hear they are all good.

Jackie

What class will your 11yo be taking?

I also had 3 years of French in high school and I can't believe how good my dd's French is. She's in French 3 and has such a good understanding of all the tenses. I'm not sure I was that good! I'm astounded (and thrilled!) that an online class in foreign language can teach so much!

Amy is who we had, too. I didn't even know she and her husband had someone else working with them. She is really nice, but the class is tough in both material and expectations. It was fabulous! I wish your dd luck!

Thank you. I'm really concerned about the work load of the class, but I suspect she may step up to the challenge.

What class will your 11yo be taking?

Well, she would love to do Latin with Amy (we went on the Greek trip with Lukeion last year and I think she was in awe of Amy, lol), but she's definitely not ready for Wheelock's in 6th grade. DS did a bunch of the 4-week workshops in 6th, plus he did Barbarian Diagrammarian the summer between 6th & 7th, which was fantastic prep for starting Greek in 7th. So I'm planning to do the same w/DD — I like that the workshops are short and ungraded, but still provide practice with online courses (reading a syllabus; navigating WebEx and Quia; remembering to check email for class updates, log-in links, etc.; asking in-class questions via the chat box; emailing the teacher with additional questions, etc.). Unfortunately, they've cut way back on the workshops for next year (they used to offer 25 different workshops; next year it's only 14), although I've heard that it's because they're working on developing curriculum, so that would be cool if it works out! I will probably also have her do Barbarian Diagrammarian in the spring (unless they offer it as a summer course again), and then start Latin in 7th.

Jackie