Menu

Geography/Map coloring books?

Sarahkay

My DD9 3rd grade and DS11 5th grade could use a little geography help. I'm not looking for a huge, in-depth curric, but a little enrichment to help them with continents, states, Euro/Asia countries, etc.

They play the Stack The States/Countries apps and Scrabbled State of America board game. I know coloring books are a little juvenile for this age, but any suggestions on little trivia books or workbooks? Something that takes just a few minutes to provide a little enrichment?

You could also try using the methods described in The Core by Leigh Bortins http://www.classicalconversations.com/articles/globetrotting-the-core-of-geography

The atlas she recommends is bargained priced at amazon right now, I can't get the link to the product to work for some reason, DK Compact Atlas of the World. If they like drawing this would be perfect, it's simple and cheap.

Instead of coloring I teach students to draw the continents in Draw Write Now and color them in according to the biome maps in National Geographic Beginner's Atlas.

I don't teach students to draw countries. I just have them learn to draw the continents and major landforms and biomes.

I don't have a printer, but this semi-Waldorf

technique is worth watching.

Which Draw Write Now book has the continents in it?

7 and 8 are the main geography texts. 6 covers the water biomes. 4 covers the polar regions. There are bits in all the books, though. If you can only afford one book, buy 7. If only 2 books buy 7 and 8.

I waited a year to buy these books, so I could buy the complete set at once when on sale. I use them more than I thought I would. Most libraries can get the books with interlibrary loan. I highly recommend scanning, cropping, and printing the maps from library copies, for cash strapped families.