Menu

Any secular logic books?

Since we've had so many logic questions on the board lately, I thought I'd toss another on it. We are currently using BTS and Philosophy for Kids, but next year I'd like to add in something like Art of Argument or Fallacy Detectives, but I'd like a secular version, not one written from a strictly Christian world view. Does anyone have any suggestions?

You might look at the samples for Art of Argument, CAP puts a nice size sample on their site. We used an older version and there only a few areas that might be grey for secular use. Cathy Duffy discusses it briefly here. We used Discovery of Deduction last year and it was pretty neutral, IIRC. My opinion is that CAP tries to stay neutral and teach logic, not theology, through their logic books. I don't know their official stance, however.

Another source I've seen referenced, but have not seen, is The Snake and The Fox.

Anita Harnadek's Critical Thinking book 1 and 2. They are by Critical Thinking Press and made to be used in a public school situation.

Pretty much anything by Critical Thinking Press should be fine, as far as I know. However, i do not find their products to be particularly well organized. You sort of have to just jump in, which drives me batty.

They make a new program called The James Madison Critical Thinking Course, that looks intriguing. I am assuming it is secular, like its other products, but it seems to be written to the student, unlike Critical Thinking. I wish it weren't so new, because I am very interested, but I need more info.