Menu

Suggestions for the rest of the year for Third Grade

umsami

DS1 is simply miserable in school. While I suppose I could let him suffer another 3 months (we're in Florida...so they get out in May), DH and I have decided to pull him.

Would it be totally fine if I spent the rest of the year focusing on making sure his multiplication/division is down-pat... reading...doing some Form drawing/cursive work... and that's about it? We'd go to the zoo and focus on the outdoors for science... maybe engage in cheese making or other practical stuff. I'm thinking really low-key... two or so hours per day max. He's had bullying issues at school, and issues at home as well...so I think he just really needs some time to regroup.

I'd love to buy Oak Meadow's Third Grade---but $200 for a syllabus for two months is a bit much. I have other Waldorf stuff that we've used on and off for after schooling which I can draw from if I need to.

I think it sounds great! One thing I would add is to look ahead to what you plan to use for Fall to see if he will be caught up with the history you plan to use. I say this because we use a Waldorf program for the early years but now my oldest is in 3rd and we are transitioning to more CM methods. The history is very different, so we are adding read Alouds to our schedule so he can begin 4th grade with the full CM schedule I plan to follow.

There are some great history read Alouds that you might enjoy adding to the above.

So, I forgot that I had bought a bunch of stuff at the Scholastic $1 sale last Spring. Found two great multiplication resources that DS really likes.

One is multiplication fortune tellers/cootie catchers. DS1 and DS2 have been playing with these--and love them. Found it free online at http://cbolding.wikispaces.com/file/view/FunMathFlaps.pdf

Found a free template on Guardian too for those who are interested http://teachers.guardian.co.uk/teacher-resources/6295/Multiplication-Fortune-Teller

The other are multiplication and division riddles. You solve the problems which help you solve the riddle. http://www.amazon.com/Solve-Riddle-Math-Practice-Multiplication/dp/0545163269

I also found the Inspirational Quotes and Jokes & Riddles in Cursive. $4 curriculum. Mom win! :hurray:

I think taking time to regroup is really important. We moved 3 years ago and began our homeschooling journey with 3 months left of school. We didn't do full curriculum. Just a few workbook type things to keep skills fresh. Lots of reading and lots of transitioning, down time. That made a difference in our start in August then.

Your being in Florida, I would check into HSLDA (Homeschool Legal Defense Association) They have great resources and information about state requirements. I remember when we were looking at a move to Florida last year, that testing or an evaluation of some sort is required. I would check and see if that is something you would be required to do with only 3 months of homeschooling.

good luck and enjoy your new journey! :

:hurray:

I would do exactly what you said - but I'd add a daily read aloud (great for bonding) and a great book list for him to read through during a daily quiet time. You'll need a daily break from him and it'll get him used to you assigning books. Make sure you travel, do field trips, hike, sleep in... :-)

I agree that your plan sounds fine. You also may want to do some sort of writing, such as have your son write in a journal. I print out journal pages from here. There is a blank section on the top half of the page and lines on the bottom for writing a few sentences. Or you could buy an inexpensive journal (Rainbow Resource offers various choices).

I also used the Winning with Writing grade 3 workbook (only the workbook for the second half of grade 3) to teach my son how to write a solid paragraph in 3rd grade. That was not difficult, but it helped his skills greatly. Just an idea to consider which may help him be ready for 4th grade in the fall...

We are in the same pickle with my oldest son. PS has become a nightmare for him and he needs some down time to detox, but we still have to get in an equal # of days to the PS districts in our area. Our other problem is that he's 1 1/2 to 2 years behind grade level in reading, grammar, spelling, writing skills, penmanship and math and 1 to 2 years ahead in history, geography and science. He also needs work in social skills and life skills because he has autism, so we have to work that in. I am trying to build around the history, geography, science themes to build interest in Reading (etc) and math in order to motivate him (also using these subjects as reward breaks in getting the dread subjects done.) We are trying to keep school short and sweet until late spring, but as he needs a consistant schedule, we will school year round (as will his younger brother and sister). (We determined that this was also appropriate for him due to some of the lagging areas that need so much work.)

We are far up north compared to Florida, but as soon as we are able to get into the garden this spring, much of our plant science will be hands on and outdoors. Right now we are beginning to start a few transplants, like tomatoes and herbs, indoors.

For what it's worth your plan seems well on target to me too.

I think taking time to regroup is really important. We moved 3 years ago and began our homeschooling journey with 3 months left of school. We didn't do full curriculum. Just a few workbook type things to keep skills fresh. Lots of reading and lots of transitioning, down time. That made a difference in our start in August then.

Your being in Florida, I would check into HSLDA (Homeschool Legal Defense Association) They have great resources and information about state requirements. I remember when we were looking at a move to Florida last year, that testing or an evaluation of some sort is required. I would check and see if that is something you would be required to do with only 3 months of homeschooling.

good luck and enjoy your new journey! :

:hurray:

Thanks for the reminder about laws. Florida is actually pretty lax compared to NY where we used to live. You can do basically any standardized test administered by a teacher or a licensed teacher evaluation. (You can also chose to have your kid sit for the FCAT). A lot of the homeschooling groups will offer deals on these with membership. I would have until next February to comply as far as I can tell (one full year).

FL even allows homeschooling kids to be awarded their Bright Futures scholarships, if they perform well enough on the ACT or SAT.

Thanks for the reminder about laws. Florida is actually pretty lax compared to NY where we used to live. You can do basically any standardized test administered by a teacher or a licensed teacher evaluation. (You can also chose to have your kid sit for the FCAT). A lot of the homeschooling groups will offer deals on these with membership. I would have until next February to comply as far as I can tell (one full year).

Yep, your eval is due on the anniversary of starting homeschooling. I pulled my son last February and just did the eval a couple of weeks ago. The nice thing is that the evaluators aren't slammed now like they are at the end of the traditional school year.

I think you have a great plan. I'm in a similar situation, we have always homeschooled but this year we tried something new by enrolling in a homeschool charter that provides a set curriculum and has some site based classes. While it has worked fine-we made the decision we are not enrolling next year due to philosophical differences. I was fine to plow through till the end of the year, but was just notified we are moving out of the county in just a few weeks. So I'm not given much choice but to pull them from the charter. I'm at peace with doing so; but now I have to figure out what curriculum to use for the remainder of the year. I have 9th, 8th, 4th and 2nd graders so quite a job ahead. For the olders I'm going to do everything I can to have them complete the same courses they were doing, the youngers I'm doing similar to what you're doing. Just hammering home key concepts with lots of focus on reading and writing. You could add some lap booking or something creative just for fun-might help him realize HSing is exciting. :)