Menu

Can you play football if you wear glasses?

Renthead Mommy

My 10yo wears glasses. He also wants to play football. Personally, I think he would HATE it. Too many clothes, pads, long hours in the sun. He has only ever played K and 1st soccer. I see it turning into a season of dread. He has it in his head and saw a sign for youth flag football the other day. Seeing as how he has never played, we don't watch football or even care about sports really, I'm sure he has romantized ideas about the game. In truth, he can't catch, can't throw and isn't built for it. He's built like a kicker, and even if he could kick, how often do kickers get to play in 10yo leagues?

He's too young for contacts, and I won't buy him those swim goggle type safety glasses. And he does need to wear them, especially if he wants to see a ball coming.

UPDATE:

My kid is brillant!

YES!!! I looked it up and found out they have practice M-F from 6-8 from July 29 till school starts in September. Then they have practice M, T, Th after school begins, with a game every weekend.

Once he found out it was that much, he figured out on his own that it wasn't his thing.

YES!!! I didn't even have to go into how hot and buggy it would be, itchy sweaty uniform pants, pads, cups, being there EVERY night meant giving up so many other things.

So glad he is so brilliant to come to that conclusion on his own. I would have felt guilty for a few minutes as I pointed it all out to him!

Around here, plenty of 10 year olds wear contacts. My DD9 is on a cheer team and many of the girls prefer to wear contacts rather than glasses.

Another option is always sports approved shatterproof glasses. If you have your sons prescription you can order them online, or most glasses shops offer them as well.

It's flag football so I would think he would be fine wearing his regular glasses with a strap attached. However, I would think there would be a fair risk of them getting broken from either a ball to the face or a incidental collision with another player.

I know you said you didn't want to buy the sports goggles but that is the choice we made for our oldest son. Now that we have discovered how cheaply we can get kids' glasses at Wal-Mart I would possibly pick up a cheap pair for the purpose of sports.

Yeah... I'm not getting him contacts. And I really don't want to buy 'special' glasses. Mainly because I really think he is not going to like it. While I want him to find something he wants to do, I don't think football is it. And truthfully I hate the idea of dealing with organized sports. Practices at night, muliple days a week. Sitting through boring games... Okay I know that is not supportive, but I dread the thought of sitting in the heat to watch sports. Any sports. Even sports with my kid in it.

But the other thing is, at this age (10), having never played at all, I just see him sitting a bench because he's not good enough to keep them scoring.

I'll talk to them and see what they say about the glasses. He's got the bendable orth wire type glasses. I just wondered (okay was hoping) there was a rule that says no glasses for playing.

YES!!! I looked it and found out they have practice M-F from 6-8 from July 29 till school starts in September. Then they have practice M, T, Th after school begins, with a game every weekend.

Once he found out it was that much, he figured out on his own that it wasn't his thing.

YES!!! I didn't even have to go into how hot and buggy it would be, itchy sweaty uniform pants, pads, cups, being there EVERY night meant giving up so many other things.

So glad he is so brilliant to come to that conclusion on his own. I would have felt guilty for a few minutes as I pointed it all out to him!