Menu

Used book on Amazon..Updated..I have heard from seller directly.

KatieJ

I recently ordered two of the same book off Amazon. BOth used and condition listed as Good. I paid the same for each of them.

One looks like it has hardly been opened, and there is writing on the first page.

2nd book is somewhat dirty, dog eared, writing, underlining with colored pens in the first half of the book. Cover is creased, etc.

I have never really been unhappy with a purchase on Amazon before, but this one is just, well, more used than I prefer.

THe seller with the more used book just says that Good is listed as used. Nothing else.

I am not sure what to do next? It is a bible study book and I would be making my own markings and writings in the book so this is pretty unacceptable for my purpose.

UPDATE: Sellers customer service emailed me after I posted my neutral feed back. I stated the facts that book was not in good condition. Seller told me to contact Amazon, but the phone numbers did not work. Amazon is refunding my money.

Seller (different signature than the first email from them) asked me to please email them the facts so they could take care of the situation and to please remove my feedback. I emailed them the facts and added I thought my neutral feedback was fair since it took me several hours to get my refund.

Their response was that since the book was sold thru Amazon, their hands were tied, they would look into why the phone numbers they were given by Amazon didn't work. Have a good day.

I repled again and said I was curious, since the problem really was the condition of the book, who made those decisions, seller or Amazon.

Today's emal from seller said that the infact the seller made those decisions and then admitted that would be then their fault if the book was listed incorrectly. And they were working to weed out the bad seeds and get intelligient caring individuals for that job.

AS a side note, I caved and spent 10.00 ( prime shipping) on a " new" book. It was not new. Probably not been read, but definately shelf worn and battered. At least now I know how to get a refund!

Won't the seller take it back? Check with Amazon and see what their description is of *Good*. Will Amazon help you? If you don't get any results then write the nasty review of the seller. I've never had a book arrive in that condition that was labeled good.

I'm a low-volume Amazon seller. Let me just suggest that you gently correspond with the seller, stating your dissatisfaction with the condition.

I'm sorry that it was such a disappointment . . . and I'm not suggesting that you do "nothing" . . . but just remember that it is somewhat of a judgment call.

And yes, if it was a high-volume seller, they were likely not as careful in the description.

Have you looked at their Seller Rating?

Yes, you will need to correspond with the seller, and then return the book, paying for the postage yourself. Then they should refund the money you paid.

Do all correspondence on the Amazon site, courteously, and you should not have any trouble getting refunded (because eventually Amazon will step it).

However, if this was a $2 book, it frankly is not worth the effort and I would just let it go & use it. It's just the nature of buying used books without seeing them first.

Just trying to encourage you--I'm sorry for your disappointment.

I'm a low-volume Amazon seller. Let me just suggest that you gently correspond with the seller, stating your dissatisfaction with the condition.

I'm sorry that it was such a disappointment . . . and I'm not suggesting that you do "nothing" . . . but just remember that it is somewhat of a judgment call.

And yes, if it was a high-volume seller, they were likely not as careful in the description.

Have you looked at their Seller Rating?

Yes, you will need to correspond with the seller, and then return the book, paying for the postage yourself. Then they should refund the money you paid.

Do all correspondence on the Amazon site, courteously, and you should not have any trouble getting refunded (because eventually Amazon will step it).

However, if this was a $2 book, it frankly is not worth the effort and I would just let it go & use it. It's just the nature of buying used books without seeing them first.

Just trying to encourage you--I'm sorry for your disappointment.

Thank you for your thoughts.

I have emailed the seller thru Amazon. I don';t consider highlghting on almost every page of the first 100 pages of a 250 page book limited. The highlighting is almost every single line, with notes in the margin. It really can't be used as a study guide and that is what it is.

It was a 4.00 book, but I could have bought it new for 8.00.

Banging my head on the desk.

I sometimes hold my breath and pick when I'm buying "good" condition. Amazon does state that good condition can have marking, "very good" cannot. So if it's something I know I need to study or ds to study I either look for very good or splurge for new.

I also weigh my time, if it's going to cost more to ship it back than the book cost and the seller won't refund shipping, then I'd just keep and leave neutral feedback. I'm very picky about condition of books, I've learned that many sellers are not as particular.

It was a 4.00 book, but I could have bought it new for 8.00.

Banging my head on the desk.

Feeling your pain . . . but I would just not invest more time (or more importantly, emotional energy) on a $4 book. :)

ETA: Also, it is considered unfair to leave negative feedback on a seller if you did not TRY to work out the problems with them.

ETA: Also, it is considered unfair to leave negative feedback on a seller if you did not TRY to work out the problems with them.

Yes Maam. I have contacted them.

Letting it go now and ordering another book. I really can't use the one they sent me.

It's just too gross.

Yes Maam. I have contacted them.

Letting it go now and ordering another book. I really can't use the one they sent me.

It's just too gross.

I wouldn't drop it. If the seller won't refund your money + shipping, I would go through Amazon's help center. They've always been very helpful and corrected the problem. I know it's only $4, but it really bugs me when I'm sold something that clearly violates the condition guidelines.

Seller referred me back to Amazon. I finally found a place on Amazon where you could leave your phone number, they called me back have sent a prepaid label. I will get a full refund after they receive the book.

Interesting note. At Christmas I ordered a book for my SIL that he already owned. When I tried to return it, they notified me to just keep the book and issued a full refund.

When I'm buying a used book in "good" or "acceptable" condition through Amazon that I need to have not marked, I only will order from sellers that put extra description of that particular book, like "tight spine, no markings or inside clean, light cover wear, bent edges" or something similar. I don't like buying from the places that aren't describing an actual book, but just sell lots of used books - their descriptions are something more like "used textbook, may have some markings, may not include original CD" (when the book didn't even include a CD to begin with) - that's just a generic description that could cover any book they sell. The more detailed description usually means they are describing a particular book, and I have gotten even "acceptable" books in very good condition (which to me means unmarked with intact spine) that way.

When I'm buying a used book in "good" or "acceptable" condition through Amazon that I need to have not marked, I only will order from sellers that put extra description of that particular book, like "tight spine, no markings or inside clean, light cover wear, bent edges" or something similar. I don't like buying from the places that aren't describing an actual book, but just sell lots of used books - their descriptions are something more like "used textbook, may have some markings, may not include original CD" (when the book didn't even include a CD to begin with) - that's just a generic description that could cover any book they sell. The more detailed description usually means they are describing a particular book, and I have gotten even "acceptable" books in very good condition (which to me means unmarked with intact spine) that way.

I was limited by having to buy 4 copies of the book as it is a study I am doing with my DDs and wanting to use Amazon Prime to get them here quickly. I didn't have a lot of choices. I reordered new for myself as there were no more Amazon Prime eligible books available. Sigh

I rarely buy used books for myself but my DDs have a more limited budget and all wanted to use the used books.