Menu

Is LOF Algebra enough/complete?

If your child has used LOF exclusively for Algebra I would love to hear your review. Was it truly enough?

We are using LOF Algebra for my ds freshman year math....he seems to be doing well I am just hoping he is truly getting what he needs for Algebra.

FYI....he is doing ALL the zillions of practice problems. I surely hope this is all he needs because i have yet to hear him complain about math...he LOVES Fred. I am also contemplating having him go through Key to Algebra to assess when he's done with Fred but I'm not sure if that is the best route to go???

Debbie

I don't know about Freds Completeness but I have no reason to doubt it. If your son is loving LOF keep using it. Depending on how much practice is in those Zillions of Practice Problems, I think the Key To...series is an excellent idea.

Or else a similar workbook series. I know that the Humongous Book of Calculus Problems Translated for People Who Don't Speak Math is excellent because the first 8 chapters are all Algebra and Trig. I imagine getting one of the Algebra themed books in the same series would be helpful because each problem is worked out explicitly.

We are huge LOF fans too. Just so you know the subject order is not the same as the typical Algebra 1 so he may not know everything algebra 1 at your local high school teaches but he will know a couple of algebra 2 topics. When he finishes algebra 2 he will have completed both courses. With Fred Algebra 2 comes before geometry, we learned the hard way! We have done supplemental things like key to....I bought the aogebra book before the supplemental problems came out.

My daughter did not use Life of Fred Algebra, but my husband (who tutors math) has overseen two students through LoF's Beginning Algebra. (This was prior to the Zillions book.) My husband's thoughts, as I recall, were that some students did need more practice than the book and the companion book provided.

Rather than checking your son's comprehension with the Keys to Algebra book, which I feel is less than a complete Algebra course, I'd suggest picking up an inexpensive copy of Lial's Beginning Algebra and having your son work through the chapter reviews or the final exam.

Regards,

Kareni

Rather than checking your son's comprehension with the Keys to Algebra book, which I feel is less than a complete Algebra course, I'd suggest picking up an inexpensive copy of Lial's Beginning Algebra and having your son work through the chapter reviews or the final exam.

We're using LoF Algebra as our main text and Lial's intro. To Algebra as extra practice when needed. They are a great combo! Also got the Great Courses algebra for $34 at Christmas and he watches those occasionally.

LoF Algebra is complete. Most use just the home companion, but there is even and additional book you can purchase for more problems if you need them. If he is doing ALL the problems in the books then he is getting plenty.

There are good videos on Khan Academy and Art of Problem Solving if you need additional explanations for topics.

FYI: Take from this whatever you will.

DD struggled MIGHTILY with Algebra I. She couldn't complete Saxon or Lial's. In desperation we turned to Fred. She completed Fred (and the Home Companion) and felt she truly understood Algebra. I wasn't so sure. We "checked" it against Teaching Textbooks. She completed that course with an A as well. Granted, we did not go back to Saxon as she is now phobic of anything remotely labeled Saxon, however, an A in Fred and an A in TT leads me to believe she "gets" Algebra.

We used LoF Algebra with the Home Companion years ago. This was before the zillion book. It was a challenging book. He could have used more practice. I would label it complete especially with the zillion book for those that need it. It did not fit ds's learning style, but for those that it does fit, I would have no qualms about it. And I wouldn't bother with Key to or any other secondary curriculum. FWIW, I have a degree in math and ds is strong in math.