Menu

emma serl...like or dislikes...also other vintage books...

genny

I'm looking at her 'everyday number stories", "In The Animal World" and her "primary and intermediate language lessons" (especially curious about the last). Her downloads are not available where I am but dh will be on business soon in the states and can download things for me there.

Any opinions?

Any other suggestions for the following:

readers (I don't like mcguffey)

grammar

writing

composition

I would like to make a list for him before he goes.

TIA

I have used the Primary and Intermediate Language Lessons. They did not suit me or my family. I felt like the lessons were random instead of building on each one (they might have but there was a lot of stuff in between like dicatation, picture study, poems etc). Also I needed a little handholding for myself as the teacher and I like more of a workbook format. I know that there is a company who has now come out with a workbook format available and maybe even a teachers book but not when we were using.

We use and really like PLL and ILL. We are Charlotte Mason style homeschoolers, so they fit us well. My only complaint is that sometimes the lessons are irrelevant to today's culture. One example is a lesson that asks all about farming tools. That's all I can think of off the top of my head.

We used PLL with two kids. For each, they did PLL, a separate grammar, and seperate handwriting.

For all the dictation, we used it Beechick style which is to use it as copywork for 5 days followed by dictation. Especially for my son, it proved to be a very productive year. It didn't challenge my dd enough so we moved on to WWE.

I think they are wonderful books for the price, but you may have to supplement more than you really care to.

I'm looking at her 'everyday number stories", "In The Animal World" and her "primary and intermediate language lessons" (especially curious about the last). Her downloads are not available where I am but dh will be on business soon in the states and can download things for me there.

Any opinions?

Any other suggestions for the following:

readers (I don't like mcguffey)

grammar

writing

composition

I would like to make a list for him before he goes.

TIA

Everyday Number Stories is cute, but it does advance very quickly. I can see it being a nice diversion from the same ol curriculum, and a great supplement. There are 136 page and 108 lessons. In that space it moves from adding numbers through 10 all the way to multiplying and dividing through 144. It includes money, fractions, measurements (pint, yard, peck, pounds, etc), +-/x, skip counting, square inches. It has delightful illustrations and fun word problems. I can see it being a full curriculum over a couple of years if you are diligent branching off and providing additional work. It is fun to use this with hands on approach. My dd thoroughly enjoys it when we use it and she is NOT a math person.

In the Animal World is very nice. You have both poems and stories. Sections include cats, dogs, seals and sea lions , bears, gnawers, monky, thick skinned animals, cud chewers, and horses.

We have both PLL and ILL. For those who love variety, and feel good with CM methods these books are delightful. PLL is for 2nd-3rd grade and ILL is for 4th-6th.

PLL doesn't focus on labeling sentences or learning grammar terms. Proper usage of the English language is taught with lessons which cause the child to think for themselves. They are given sentences to read and evaluate. From that they are to figure out when there or their is to be used; when to use go, went or gone; most or almost. Picture studies are light and fun. Poetry memorization, letter writing, compositions, observations, contractions, and more.

ILL requires more of the student. Picture studies and memorization is continued. Compositions become more complex, irregular plurals taught, parts of speech are named (and used of course), and more.

Have you looked at the Treadwell readers?

Thanks for the info! I would love a list of readers for beyond the learning to read stage that have good story lines and teach morals. DD is 6 but is advanced in reading. I pretty much have an at home library of beginner readers for when my other kiddos are ready to learn.

We're using Singapore but I thought her math book looks cute as a supplement. Wow...it really covers all that...cool!

Based on pp's I'm started to think it might not be so great for LA....arghhhh...I can't seem to find anything that fits! Guess I'll be posting a new topic on the subject and see if someone can help me find something that will work.

I would love to hear what vintage books are beloved/tried and true for any subject. My opportunity to download them will basically only be while dh is away so if you vintage lovers get a chance please post your suggestions!

TIA:)

I'm definitely looking for something light for grammar...nothing rigorous. Basic and fun is what I'm looking for. I'm also looking for some basic and fun copywork. Since she's a little slow with her motor skills (she's made leaps and bounds with her printing...taken a lot of practice) I don't want to give a lot to copy....short and sweet until she's gets a little faster with her printing.

She's advanced in reading though and would love some good readers for her to enjoy and learn positive character traits from. Thanks Susie for the links!

Keep the suggestions coming :laugh:

A nice vintage botany book with lovely illustrations: Plants and Their Children by Frances Theodora Parsons

http://books.google....ved=0CDAQ6AEwAA

A nice biology (insects) book: Dame Bug and Her Babies by Edith Marion Patch

http://books.google....ved=0CDYQ6AEwAA

Little Nature Studies for Little People: A Primer and a First Reader by John Burroughs

http://books.google.com/books?id=yawXAAAAIAAJ&printsec=frontcover&dq=Little+Nature+Studies+for+Little+People&hl=en&sa=X&ei=66USUf2OBdOp0AG-uYGoAg&ved=0CDAQ6AEwAA

Little Nature Studies for Little People: A Second and Third Reader by John Burroughs

http://books.google....der&pg=GBS.PA48

One thing I have noticed is that vintage books were often written in a series and the teacher taught the entire series in a private home or one room school house. Just because there were no instructions in the lower level student textbook instructing the student to use techniques and vocabulary taught in the upper levels, doesn't mean the teacher wasn't expected to know and begin to use those techniques and vocabulary with the younger students.

Some of us are gradually learning to be better teachers by studying TWTM, CM, Waldorf, Principle Approach, etc., and then we too use lean textbooks in a way that a less experienced teacher don't know how to.

I have to study in general and study ahead to use most early level vintage texts successfully.