Menu

MCT Any Level, who assigns writing topics/ assignments as/is?

Elfknitter.#

In Island, I would choose 2-3 and we would do them together. Many of the assignments are written for partners, so it worked well. Paragraph Town is similarly set up. I found it useful to use colored tabs to mark the chapter in the front and then teachers notes in the back so that it was easy to flip back and forth.

Voyage assumes a more independent student and the assignments are at the end of the chapter. We only used this for a couple months, but dd did the assignments on her own.

Well, I didn't, so I have no business posting on this thread :D

However, the reason we didn't do most of the Paragraph Town exercises written (we discussed them all) was that dd was doing WWS concurrently, which was 1) plenty of writing, and 2) covering the same concepts, but with much more detail and direct instruction.

In retrospect, I think it would make a world of sense to do WWS after completing the Town level. In this case, I would have the student do the written exercises in PT. It will make WWS much easier, too - WWS kind of jumps in assuming the students know how to do paragraphs and topic sentences without much direct instruction. PT's direct instruction on paragraphs is much better, IMO. So with my second dd, I will have her do Town level with the writing, and then do WWS after completing PT.

>>>>>In retrospect, I think it would make a world of sense to do WWS after completing the Town level. In this case, I would have the student do the written exercises in PT. It will make WWS much easier, too - WWS kind of jumps in assuming the students know how to do paragraphs and topic sentences without much direct instruction. PT's direct instruction on paragraphs is much better, IMO. So with my second dd, I will have her do Town level with the writing, and then do WWS after completing PT.<<<<<<<

Chrysalis Academy Thanks for this tip! I was thinking of doing WWS with MCT Town next year, but with your retrospect and what you said about WWS, I hold off.

To the OP, we are currently going thru Sentence Island, and so far, I have done the writing exercises orally, just because he does get writing in other areas. If I wasn't, I would use the writing assignments. I have a 9 yr old.