Menu

Questions for Accountants...

Hunter's Moon

I posted recently about career options, and Accounting seems to be the best option for my plans. I am really enjoying my Accounting class :)

If you wouldn't mind, I would appreciate if you could answer a few questions.

1. Was your school AACSB accredited? I understand it is not necessary, but it gives one a boost when it comes to applying to MBA programs and jobs.

2. What did your career look like after graduation? What kinds of companies did you work for, etc?

Also, has anyone here got a BS in Accounting at an online school? I am doing this and wondering if it will affect employment opportunities. The school is regionally accredited and well-respected, so I am sure that helps.

I'll start. I have a BS double major Accounting/Bus Admin from a small but fully-accedited Christian college 25 years ago. Loved the coursework, then graduated early & got married instead of sitting for the CPA exam. I interned at a small local CPA firm during college, and loved it. (I would have been a Math Major, but hated Calc in twelfth grade.)

After graduation, I worked 5 years in the business office of our local comm college, handling accounts payable and all the books, making reports for the campus heads. Then I quit to stay home (& homeschool) our 5 kids. I would consider returning to the same job when our nest is empty. Also would consider tax return prep, or working in a small CPA office as a support person.

Regardless of accreditation (which is essential), check on the pass rates of the graduates!

When I get home I'll have my husband reply.

He has a BS in accounting from an AACSB accredited university. I think, though, he'll say the big thing is graduating able to pass your CPA. I guess the AACSB might matter for certain positions perhaps.

He is in governmental accounting. He audits those entities receiving taxpayer money like cities and schools. That's what is interesting about accounting. His career is so different from someone in tax accounting. And either of them would be different from a Chief Financial Officer for example. But they all need the CPA to progress. I think the test is easier than when he became a CPA. I think you can focus on one section at a time now.

Edited to add:

My husband felt the type of school you attend would matter for some types of positions and not for others. For example, the State of Indiana gives a test to potential hires. People with accounting degrees, including online, and even those with related experience or knowledge who can pass the pass the test would be candidates he assumes. A big firm might have a problem with the same institution that a hospital hiring an accountant wouldn't blink an eye at. He was talking about getting experience/exposure in related fields if you can. He said good written and verbal communication skills and the ability to structure and bring a task to completion in a timely manner were important no matter what type of accounting field in his opinion. He's super tired and went to bed before I could get more out of him!

I thought I'd add that he has been in the same organation since graduation. They do promote upward so his title has changed but he has been auditing that entire time. I know he did consider a CFO type position offered to him at one point a long time ago but he's been happy in governmental accounting/auditing. He checks financial records for compliance and, of course, makes sure there isn't fraud/theft. I think what my husband likes the most is that he gets to help those people in the units he audits when they have questions or difficulties with their work. He likes fraud audits the least for obvious reasons. He's had too many of those in recent years.

My husband is an accountant. He did attend an AACSB school for undergrad but did not major in accounting. He went back to get a Masters in Business Taxation later from a highly rated school.

He works for one of the Big 4 Accounting firms as a Senior Tax Manager.

His firm does not tend to hire graduates of online schools, although if you attend an online school that is also a B&M school they may not know. I am not sure how that works.

For what he does you need an MA.

• 11 months later...
Guest nessie45

Hi everyone! I just recently began studying accounting and I must say I enjoy it. I am a freshmen in college and I would like to know, can you have a BS in Business and still become a CPA? or must you have the master's degree?

I would also like for those experienced if they would not mind sharing information on how the job of a CPA or accountant is like.

I would like to pursue a MS major in business with a concentration in accounting. I would also like to study forensic accounting. Can anyone provide me with how I would go along with studying forensic accounting? Like are the courses similar to accounting do I graduate with a certificate in forensic accounting or associates degree how does it really work?

Thank you for your time. 

I am not quite sure how this is your first post.  It would be best if you introduce yourself first, start with telling us about your family, how long you have homeschooled, what curriculum you use, etc….

However, that said, a quick google search turned this up:

http://education-portal.com/articles/Forensic_Accounting_Career_Information_and_Education_Requirements.html

nessie45,

Your college adviser should be your best friend.  :>  They are the ones in the best position to guide you into the coursework you need to follow your interests.  It would be a good idea for you to do some job shadowing also to see what might interest you.

You do not need a master's degree to sit for the CPA exam, in fact some people take it before they are even finished with their undergraduate work.  The requirements for CPA certification vary by state also, so again, your adviser should be able to help you with that.  

My path was very similar to BethS a pp. Where you take your classes does not matter as long as you can sit for the CPA when you are done. Also pass rates from that school -- remember people frequently take it multiple times to pass all sections. That is what I would be asking about. I never sat for it(and wish I had for no other reason now then I did prepare for it and would like to know if I would have passed easily, taken it multiple times etc.). I have no real regrets I went corporate because thanks to an internship I knew audit was not something I wanted to do for 2 years.

That all being said many accounting firm doors are open to someone who has passed the CPA. It doesn't matter nearly as much where you went to school after you pass that exam. You become equal (unless we start talking MBA etc).