Menu

what LATIN curriculum for a 5th grader

pjssully

HI, My 5th grader wants to learn Latin and I have no idea of where to start. I have no background in Latin myself so I would be learning with him. It has to be something that goes slowly -for me!-and reasonably priced.

I would love ANY suggestions

thanks

pam

My rising fifth grader will use the next level up in Latin for Children. Doing LFC with my older kids was also my first Latin course. CAP is awesome. We had the whole set of LFC products, and regularly used Headventureland.com, too. There was only one time that my kids had a question I couldn't figure out with the resources I had. In that case we used that Ask the Magister button on their website, and received an answer back from the author himself within a couple days.

We have really enjoyed using The BIg Book of Lively Latin, books 1 and 2. I had no previous experience with Latin and this curriculum has allowed me and my two oldest to learn from the ground up. It is parts-to-whole style instruction. There are very good audio files online to teach both ecclesiastical and classical pronunciation. There are also teaching videos online for book 1. The teacher is pleaant,knowledgeable and clear in her instruction; the videos are shot with good lighting and sound. Because we purchsed the PDF versions, we have found it economical to do studies for 3 of us at one time.

My children and I have really enjoyed the Latin history, picture study, and mapwork that comes along with the L:atin language study. This text has also been a quality asset to our grammar study. My daughter and I like diagramming sentences. Yes, we do. :)

here is a link--http://www.livelylat.../site/index.php

We are using Latina Christiana I w/DVDs by Memoria Press with my 5th grader. Other than reviewing with him, he mostly does it on his own (I don't know Latin either. )Next year we plan on using their First Form Latin.

We also really like the Memoria Press latin curriculum