Menu

Encouraging a math & science GIRL

alisoncooks

I have a young GIRL who seems to be showing aptitude for MATH & SCIENCE. DD is 6.5 and her science interest leans toward life sciences/biology. Next year, we are using Elemental Biology. Math we're using SM and MM concurrently, but may move on to MiF if it proves easier for mom to teach. ;)

I'm looking products/curriculum/toys to encourage this passion/interest. What have you used that were big hits in these subjects? I am *not* math/science oriented (I've always preferred language arts) so what I *want to do* is not working for her...

Feel free to share what worked for your young boys, too...

Thanks!

I studied human biology in college, and I personally much prefer Mr. Q to what I've seen of ES. I know ES is designed to follow TWTM suggestions for teaching science but I am not at all a fan of using a boring encyclopedia as "spine". Mr. Q's writing is very engaging, and my science-loving kids eat it up (even the one who is beyond it loves to listen in). Best of all, the life science is a FREE download.

When your DD is older, look into Ellen McHenry's programs because those are great as well.

Blocks of all kinds. In the WTM there' a recommendation for a jug of geometric shapes, that I followed. My daughter has been making pretty and complicated patterns for years with them. Also interlocking unit cubes have been a hit. Legos are also in this category, although my daughter isn't a big fan.

Dd is a math/science girl. Biology is not her thing, though. She loves legos and snap circuits. She adores pbs's Design Squad/Design Squad Nation and Sci Girls and BBC's Bang Goes the Theory. She also loves MEP and any kind of logic book. Give your dd lots of puzzles, tangrams, thinkfun games. She may soon like Muggins games and Hands-on Equations and Paper Patty Geometry. Learning Resources has some great math games.

I agree with the Magic School Bus, Brain Pop, Mr Q and Ellen McHenry suggestions! All loved here. Some other ideas:

Kratt's Creatures episodes

One Small Square books

Cornell Lab of Ornithology's Great Backyard Bird Count

The Story of One

Keep a Nature Journal

Go on long walks

Jean Craighead George books

Education Unboxed videos with Cuisinaire rods

Brian Cox's Wonders of Life

A box filled with materials with which to build

Also to point out, don't push it on her. Teaching and exploring as interested as you homeschool is really great. And then have science activities/toys she can choose to use during playtime/freetime, but don't continue directing her there or she may just get tired of it. My ds is 8, and he got a microscope for his birthday. Your dd may be a bit young, but a microscope is really a fun tool for scientific exploration. So is a telescope. My ds also loves snap circuits and he has taken engineering with lego classes through a local lego program. There are also outdoor ed programs here (they even have a homeschool class) that teach about plants, animals, as well as survival skills and such. If there is something like that in your area that might be really fun for her (and gives you a few hours off). Plus, just have lots of books about different science topics available.