Menu

how long w/o a poopy?

Pamela H in Texas

Monday night I picked up a baby from another fostermom. We call her Potato. She is 3months old;but she is the size of newborn.

Her development seems off, way off. Her fostermom mentioned giving her bananas; but we don't agree that is appropriate.

Other than being tiny, she seems healthy and the fm said she is.

Anyway, she didnt poop yesterday or today. That doesnt seem right,but I can't seem to find a rule or what to do past a dr. visit.

Any info?

Thanks y'all. I have two hands to type so maybe can give a little more info.

Potato is just staying with us temporarily. Her fostermom had surgery so needed someone to care for her.

FM told me that they only use this one formula but have tried many different ones.

FM's dad brought me a different kind; but I went and bought the kind she originally sent with me instead.

Potato is eating well (4oz every 2½ to 3 hours) and sleeping beautifully (including mostly throught the night).

She doesn't seem in pain or anything. She is a super easy, sweet baby.

I will text FM in the morning. And the insurance has a nurse and even a dr. line now I can try too.

It just seemed odd to me; but what do I know? My kids were babies many many years ago (almost 2 decades!)!

I figured she probably hasn't had the banana since Monday....at least.

I did want to mention a few things to the FM; but I'm afraid of offending her. For example, I think feeding bananas to a 3 month old is inappropriate. I also don't understand why ECI hasn't evaluated her when all kids are referred from the get-go and she is in need of it (also, it bothers me because there is one issue that has to be caught before 2 months old so now she won't get services based on that). Additionally, there is definitely something wrong with this baby. For example, another mom told me that she would have said, "really?" had I told her she was 3 WEEKS old because she doesn't seem even that. One good thing is that my agency worker was out yesterday and saw her; so she noticed my concerns also so maybe can encourage a staffing to help this FM get Potato appropriate services. But I do want to gently mention things myself. FM has never had an infant before and was not a mom before fostercare so there just may be a bit of a learning curve for her (though it seems her first two kids are doing well in her care and she's doing well with the 6yo brother who is autistic...she worked with autistic students in the past).

Anyway, sorry to ramble. She's beautiful and an easy baby.

Anyway, sorry to ramble. She's beautiful and an easy baby.

This is what bothers me. New mom, new house, new lights, new smells...my kids would be the opposite of "easy" in this set of circumstances.... BUT you sound like your wheels are already turning - Potato is lucky she got you to look after her for awhile.

Formula fed babies generally go every 1-2 days, babies on breastmilk can go a week easily with a bm. I would suspect either the bananas or teh formula. Ds's severe constipation was caused by dairy. It started at 4 months old when we started formula and lasted until 9 years old when we finally figured it out. Baby may do better on soy based formula if dairy is causing the constipation. If baby is still happy and not fussy I wouldn't worry too much until you see the stool. (DD13 was also taken off dairy at 3 months for for different reasons). Dd5 had to go off dairy recently when we realized that the constipation she has had since weaning was due to the dairy.

I agree with you about the banana's, baby should not be on any solids for at least another 3 months and the stress on the gut at this young age could be causing constipation. If she was feeding bananas because baby still seemed hungry shortly after a feeding I would again think sensitivity or allergy to the formula. Icky tummy makes them want to suckle more and can lead an inexperienced caregiver to assume hunger.

It sounds like potato is very lucky to get some time with your family and hopefully get the wheels turning to get her some interventions early on.