Menu

Wheelock's Latin is it a two year high school or college course?

Dd has just started looking at a copy of the main Wheelock's book and she likes it. I remember reading somewhere on the forum that it was a two year course, so 20 chapters per year. But I also remember reading that it is college/university level. So 10 chapters per university semester? Basically I am trying to figure out how this compares to Henle especially in terms of high school credits. Dd has completed the first half of Henle book one using the MODG Syllabus. Loves latin.

Any help would be appreciated. Not sure that she wants to switch completely. I think she is just intrigued with the more classical lierature basis of Wheelock's as opposed to the more biblical Henle.

Dd has just started looking at a copy of the main Wheelock's book and she likes it. I remember reading somewhere on the forum that it was a two year course, so 20 chapters per year. But I also remember reading that it is college/university level. So 10 chapters per university semester? Basically I am trying to figure out how this compares to Henle especially in terms of high school credits. Dd has completed the first half of Henle book one using the MODG Syllabus. Loves latin.

Any help would be appreciated. Not sure that she wants to switch completely. I think she is just intrigued with the more classical lierature basis of Wheelock's as opposed to the more biblical Henle.

As it is generally used, roughly 2 years of high school Latin classes will cover the 40 chapters (probably most courses require a bit more time), or 2 semesters of college Latin classes at 4 or 5 credits each semester. So, roughly 20 chapters per college semester, or a bit more than one chapter a week.

My dd is currently using Wheelock's at university. They award 10 credits for the full book and the 38 Latin Stories book. The class is usually split over three semesters (4 cr, 3 cr, 3 cr.) I am issuing her 1.5 high school credits as well (as per the Florida state guidelines.)

Thanks for responding. I thought 10 chapters a semester was really light for college level but my memory said 2 year college class. I knew someone here would be able to help!

I didn't know Athenaze was used at college level. We looked at an old copy several years ago. We should probably take another look at it.

Just did a google search and there are tons of supplements for Athenaze. She probably will want it. I just wish the first edition of the book would work! Much cheaper ;)

We have found lots of Wheelock supplements online also. Dd is having great fun with her new "toy". It looks like I will have to buy one for her because she is using a library copy.

As it is generally used, roughly 2 years of high school Latin classes will cover the 40 chapters (probably most courses require a bit more time), or 2 semesters of college Latin classes at 4 or 5 credits each semester. So, roughly 20 chapters per college semester, or a bit more than one chapter a week.

:iagree:

Generally it is used over two years for high school or one year, two semesters, for college.

Lukeion went up to chapter 9 in the first semester. It was a breakneck pace from my point of view. But part of that was because of needing to wrap up new material by the end of Nov and review for a final in the beginning of Dec.

If I had any advice it would be to commit to a few weeks of English grammar review including diagraming before starting the Latin. When my sons are struggling with a translation I can look at it and say that the sentence begs for a direct object so what is in accusative. That isn't so obvious to them.

My dd is currently using Wheelock's at university. They award 10 credits for the full book and the 38 Latin Stories book. The class is usually split over three semsters (4 cr, 3 cr, 3 cr.) I am issuing her 1.5 high school credits as well (as per the Florida state guidelines.)

Thanks for your comments! I think covering Wheelock in 2 years for a high school student is a lot of material. I know a Latin teacher (was it Beth in Mint Hill?) posted on this board a while back that in her opinion covering Wheelock in 2 years is a stretch and doesn't seem to be done in anymore in b & m schools (I am paraphrasing).

I've tried finding course syllabi for b & m high schools that use Wheelock over two years or cover Latin grammar over 2 years. So far, I haven't found any, even at top tier private prep schools--though maybe they are out there and I haven't found them. It seems that grammar is usually not finished in the second year of Latin study but goes over into the third year of Latin study.

My daughter takes Lukeion Latin and is in her second year. It's an intense course. She loves it and it is one of the best online classes we've found. I would not expect the level of commitment this course takes unless a student was really interested in Latin. My daughter had some Henle before she started Lukeion. She did not like Henle FWIW.

My daughter takes Lukeion Latin and is in her second year. It's an intense course. She loves it and it is one of the best online classes we've found. I would not expect the level of commitment this course takes unless a student was really interested in Latin.

Good heavens!! Don't tell my son! He's in Latin I with them, not a big Latin fan, but he didn't like Spanish in ninth grade so here we are. He is slated for two more years.

Good heavens!! Don't tell my son! He's in Latin I with them, not a big Latin fan, but he didn't like Spanish in ninth grade so here we are. He is slated for two more years.

LOL. My lips are sealed. ;) For us, we can't do all classes equally. I hope I didn't imply my attitude should be everyone else's. Lukeion's Latin classes so far have been fabulous. I'm amazed at how much my daughter has learned and has been able to do with strictly the instruction Amy gives. I'm sure any student who completes three years with Lukeion will certainly reap a lot of benefits. Best wishes!