Menu

history and science, correlated in a unit study--does this exist?

kristin0713

My kids are approaching 7 and 5. We're currently using HOD Beyond (for my almost 7yo DD). I think I want something more hands-on, and I really only need history and science. We do our own thing for math, spelling, language arts, and Bible. I like that HOD encourages growth in things like narration, poetry, copywork, etc., but I can easily bring those elements into our schooling. I may start DD in DITHOR in the fall regardless of whether we use HOD next year. So I don't need an all-inclusive curriculum at this point. I'd like them to do notebooking, lapbooking, and timelining but I also want to do activities that they will remember and enjoy during these younger years. (Is that too much in one curriculum?) If I could find something that was done like a unit study and that covered history and science for the elementary years, that would be great. I feel drawn to Konos but also intimidated by it!

Would MFW be what you want? You don't have to use their LA or math recommendations at all, and you could cut out their Bible. It's hands-on, and I think it correlates history and science as much as possible. Ancient history goes with unit studies in science based on creation. You read about Archimedes as well. 2nd year of history goes with 2 topics in science, the human body and astronomy, what people would have studied around then in history. You read about Galileo. 3rd year of history is botany and animals. 4th year (modern times) is chemistry and physics. It sort of follows WTM suggestions for when to study which subjects in science.

I've looked at MFW a lot but for some reason I always decide against it. Maybe that is the right balance for us though. They do notebooking, right? I don't know why I am turned off to it. When I look at Konos, that seems like the most fun and the program that will yield the most retention. My kids love to do crafty things, my DD is a strong reader and writer, but they also love to act things out, etc. The non-linear nature of Konos goes against my style. Ugh, I just don't know. I was looking last night at the Konos History Heroes and I might get that just to give it a try. They have a set that goes along with the early American History that we've been doing.

Vol. 1 of KONOS would be my first recommendation. :-)

Ignore the lesson plans. Decide how much time you can devote to KONOS activities. Read through the volume and check off the activities that will fit in your alloted time, so that you can a character trait for a month or two. Write them in pencil on a calendar. The end. :-)

The library books are completely optional; if you have time to go to the library, then do it; if not, don't choose activities that require the library books. The vocabulay words...be familiar with their meaning and use them yourself in conversations as much as possible, even when you're not doing KONOS.