Menu

My apartment is freezing--give me ideas for baking!

melbotoast

Our apartment does not have central heating so we are all huddled around space heaters. We don't have enough for all the rooms though, so I need something yummy to bake and warm up the kitchen. I'm not an amazing baker, and I only have access to basic ingredients, but I would love to get some ideas :)

Pound cake is good. It takes 45min to an hour to bake. There are many recipes on foodtv.com. We just made Gina's chocolate pound cake. It was good. We did not have buttermilk but it still turn out very good. Also if you have frozen berries or canned peaches you can make a cobbler. Muffins, we like donut muffins once in a while easy to make and taste like a plain, old fashion donut. I think the recipe is from hillbilly housewife? Any type of cookie would be good, biscuits, if you have bisquick there is a copy cat recipe for red lobsters cheese biscuits.

Thanks for all the ideas! I had one potato left over from something so I stuck that in the oven. Now I just have to decide what to make next! If I do the baking clay, I can say we did art today. I think I have all the ingredients for french bread on hand. Something sweet sounds really good but I will have to check on ingredients. There's still two more months of winter so I'll have plenty of time to experiment :)

I vote for cookies. Snickerdoodles would be good. Consider doubling the recipe--I think this only makes 30. Only 30 cookies--may not be enough!

Snickerdoodles

• ½ cup butter, softened
  • ¾ cup sugar
  • 1 large egg
  • 1 â…“ cups sifted flour
  • 1 tsp. cream of tartar
  • ½ tsp. baking soda
  • â…› tsp. salt
  • 1 Tbsp sugar
  • 1 tsp. cinnamon

Preheat oven to 400°. Cream butter and sugar. Add egg and mix thoroughly. Sift the next 4 ingredients together. Stir into butter mixture. Combine 1 Tbs. sugar and cinnamon in a shallow bowl. Roll dough into balls and then roll each ball in sugar/cinnamon mixture. Place on cookie sheet. Bake for 8-10 minutes.