Menu

The fantastically perfect and so appropriately priced rental that I wanted

Guest inoubliable

Guest inoubliable

Indeed. :(

Any suggestions on where to look for rentals? I look at Realtor.com and Hotpads.com all the time. We've driven around town and called numbers that are outside of rentals but we've NEVER heard back from even one of those. Same for anything listed on Craigslist. Is there another website out there? Do realtors help with finding rentals anymore?

Any suggestions on where to look for rentals? I look at Realtor.com and Hotpads.com all the time. We've driven around town and called numbers that are outside of rentals but we've NEVER heard back from even one of those. Same for anything listed on Craigslist. Is there another website out there? Do realtors help with finding rentals anymore?

In every town I've lived in, the best place to look was the newspaper. It's too hard to sort out the scams and the loons when you look online.

Guest inoubliable

That military site is neat! Too bad I don't live anywhere near a base. Nothing on there for me. I'll keep it in mind, though, for some couples that I know who could use it.

Good suggestion, Mergath. I don't subscribe to our local paper and without that subscription you can't view their online stuff, so I never thought to look. Just now, though, I saw that I can view the classifieds without a subscription. I've got a few numbers to call tomorrow already.

I live in a small town and most of the rentals here are listed a small paper that comes out weekly. It is called The Ad Bulletin and while there is no cost to list your item (to sell, rent, or trade), there is a nominal fee for the paper (I think $1.25). These papers are sold at local gas stations.

Ugh. I got one of my rentals off of Craigslist. One with a realtor who had listings for rentals. And one (in a complex) from someone whose job is to find you a place to rent.

Guest inoubliable

Thanks everyone. We're going to take a few drives on Sunday and see if we can find anymore signs. I'm not holding my breath, though. We've called on so many places with signs out front and never heard from anyone. It's so disappointing. I did get a response from a place on Craiglist. Asking me to wire over the security deposit and first month's rent to a place in South Africa because the owners were on a mission. *sigh* And a little more digging found that the house was actually for rent, but by a real estate company asking for twice what the CL ad listed. Figures.

Our area just isn't very friendly to renters. It's that whole "we're a suburb of D.C." mentality. *snort*

If you are a suburb of DC, then do look on the military site. DC area is full of military and some of the places people work aren't bases so people end up living everywhere. When my dh was stationed at the Pentagon, he knew people who lived out in Loudon County, near Fredericksburg, out in Maryland, everywhere. We were lucky and found a great rental close in but we were renting in late 2008 when the market for sales had just plunged and we were paying high rent (3K but we got 2900 for housing allowance so we thought it was worth it to have such a nice house in a great neighborhood only 20-30 minutes from the Pentagon).

Guest inoubliable

We're actually 75 miles outside of D.C. I have no idea why anyone thinks we're a "suburb of D.C." but that's what people say when quoting housing or rental prices. It's ridiculous. If anything, we're a suburb of Martinsburg, WV. LOL. I'd check Loudoun Co, but it's even more expensive than here. :(