Menu

Can anyone help me come up with Physical science topics???

Dd12 will be 8th grade next year and wants to do Physical science. I would love to have dd9 tag along. I have looked at a ton of different programs and I am not fond of any of them. So I am trying to build my own. I need to start with a basic list of what should be covered in Physical Science for a typical 8th grader. It seems even the different programs can't agree on this. Just throw the topics at me!!!

http://www.deltaeduc...bID=5&menuID=68

Science in a Nutshell has some great Physical Science kits:

Bubble Science

Charge It! Static Electricity

Clever Levers

Crystal Creations

Detective Lab

Electrical Connections

Electromagnetism

Energy and Motion

Flight! Gliders to Jets

Gases

Gears at Work

Liquids

Magnetic Magic

Physical and Chemical Changes

Pulley Power

Simple Machines

Sound Vibrations

Water Physics

Wheels at Work

Work: Plane and Simple

These are designed for younger kids, but it should give you a solid idea of what's usually covered.

Have you looked at Holt's Physical Science book?

http://www.rainbowresource.com/product/Holt+Physical+Science+with+Earth+and+Space+Science+Package/029602/4e8acd938a89dd5816946a34?subject=11&category=9276

Just wanted to add--for your younger tag-a-long--we have been using and absolutely loving the K'Nex Education sets. They have several sets based on simple machines (gears; levers and pulleys; wheels, axels and inclined planes are the ones we have.) The kids love building the objects and really see and understand how the simple machine in question helps do work, and the included TM has a lot of good material to extend the builds.

As far as I am concerned, "physical science" is a code word for science-with-a-touch-of-math-or-equations-so-that-they-are-prepared-for-high-school. It is basically anything except biology. So Chemistry, Physics, Earth science, and astronomy. Typically, kids have some biology already by the time they hit 8th grade even if it is just exploring nature and noticing stuff. But chemistry is hidden from sight, and physics is often counter-intuitive to kids or just too esoteric to understand. Astronomy is more complicated than 'oh, here is a constellation', and earth science becomes very technical when you get beyond the basics of earthquakes and volcanoes. So physical science is the bridge to high school. You are really looking to fill gaps.

So, where are your dd's gaps? That will inform what she should study.

Ruth in NZ

As far as I am concerned, "physical science" is a code word for science-with-a-touch-of-math-or-equations-so-that-they-are-prepared-for-high-school. It is basically anything except biology. So Chemistry, Physics, Earth science, and astronomy. Typically, kids have some biology already by the time they hit 8th grade even if it is just exploring nature and noticing stuff. But chemistry is hidden from sight, and physics is often counter-intuitive to kids or just too esoteric to understand. Astronomy is more complicated than 'oh, here is a constellation', and earth science becomes very technical when you get beyond the basics of earthquakes and volcanoes. So physical science is the bridge to high school. You are really looking to fill gaps.

So, where are your dd's gaps? That will inform what she should study.

Ruth in NZ

Hmmm that is a great question. This year she is doing Biology so yes you are correct we have that covered. We have touched on Earth Science and Astronomy but not in depth at all. She has had no Physics and very little introduction to Chemistry. She is looking towards a medical career so I want to make sure she is up to speed. I have the Apologia Physical Science here but it seems so dry! I really am at a loss where to go once I read your above post. I had not looked at it that way before. Most of her science exposure has come from unit studies that we have done and most of them where in the life science field.

Based on the small amount of exposure she has had in the topics you mentioned where should I go from here? She is doing very well with Lial's Pre-Algebra this year and will move into Lial's Algebra next year so hopefully the math skills needed are there. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I have been pouring over your previous threads trying to get my head to quit spinning!

I use Mr. Q Physical Science as a spine. It would be perfect for your 9 year old. I add in additional resources (videos, activities, kits) to correlate with the topics.

The topics in Mr. Q are:

Forces, Motion & the Metric System

Newton's Laws of Motion

Simple Machines (Engino Simple Machines kit)

Energy (Solar powered car)

Heat

Light (Thames & Kosmos Optical Science & Art kit)

Sound (The Story of the Orchestra website)

Electricity (Snap Circuits, TOPS electricity)

Magnetism (TOPS magnetism)

For the 8th grader, you could add in CK-12 Physical Science for Middle School. Just choose the chapters you want and make a flexbook.

Physical Science is a lite overview of Chemistry and Physics topics. Check out the table of contents in various middle school physical science textbooks for topic ideas, but below are a few ideas. Also look at the Rader's Science 4 Kids websites for topics and basic text for your 9yo: Chem4Kids; Physics4Kids; Geography4Kids (earth science and weather); Cosmos4Kids; Biology4Kids. The Reader's Digest: How Science Works has great 2-page spreads on chemistry and physics topics, with lots of great ideas for experiments. And some of the TOPS units and Educational Insight's Adventures in Science kits are good.

MATTER

solid

liquid

gas

atom/molecule

mass

density

CHEMICAL REACTIONS & SOLUTIONS

periodic table of elements

chemical bonding

mixtures

solutions

compounds

suspensions

crystals

acids and bases

thermodynamics

ENERGY FORCE & MOTION

inertia

potential energy

heat

expansion/contraction

conduction

convection

radiation

friction

action/reaction

velocity and acceleration

gravity

forces

laws of motion

work

LIGHT & SOUND

electromagnetic spectrum

reflection

refraction

color

lenses

waves/particles

vibration

pitch and tone

AIR & WATER

pressure

water cycle

floating and sinking

surface tension

cohesion/adhesion

ELECTRICITY & MAGNETISM

poles and fields

static electricity

current

electrical chemistry

charge

resistance

SIMPLE MACHINES

FLIGHT / ROCKETRY

Wow Lori, when you type it out like that the first thought that comes to my mind is how am I going to cover all that in one year!! :ohmy: :svengo:

LOL! Well, of course you DON'T try and cover it all! :laugh:

I misunderstood -- I thought you were looking for a list of topics to CHOOSE from! :thumbup1:

Just go and have FUN and hippity-hop through the list, skipping past spots of non-interest, and pausing here and there, where your DC have interests. Enjoy! Warmest regards, Lori D.

Oh great! I am actually thinking if it takes a little more than a year that should be fine. Dd12 is doing Abeka's Biology this year and she is really enjoying it and getting alot out of it. So if we do Physical science in 8th and 9th that will leave her 10th for Chemistry, 11th for Biology advanced and 12th for Physics. I think that will cover everything.

I really like the looks of the CK-12 Flex book linked above. I am thinking of using that as a spine and then pulling in alot of hands on from some of the resources everyone has listed. I want to keep the last 6-9 weeks reserved for a good science project for them. All of the suggestions have really got my wheels turning now!

• 1 year later...

Physical Science is a lite overview of Chemistry and Physics topics. Check out the table of contents in various middle school physical science textbooks for topic ideas, but below are a few ideas. Also look at the Rader's Science 4 Kids websites for topics and basic text for your 9yo: Chem4Kids; Physics4Kids; Geography4Kids (earth science and weather); Cosmos4Kids; Biology4Kids. The Reader's Digest: How Science Works has great 2-page spreads on chemistry and physics topics, with lots of great ideas for experiments. And some of the TOPS units and Educational Insight's Adventures in Science kits are good.

MATTER

solid

liquid

gas

atom/molecule

mass

density

CHEMICAL REACTIONS & SOLUTIONS

periodic table of elements

chemical bonding

mixtures

solutions

compounds

suspensions

crystals

acids and bases

thermodynamics

ENERGY FORCE & MOTION

inertia

potential energy

heat

expansion/contraction

conduction

convection

radiation

friction

action/reaction

velocity and acceleration

gravity

forces

laws of motion

work

LIGHT & SOUND

electromagnetic spectrum

reflection

refraction

color

lenses

waves/particles

vibration

pitch and tone

AIR & WATER

pressure

water cycle

floating and sinking

surface tension

cohesion/adhesion

ELECTRICITY & MAGNETISM

poles and fields

static electricity

current

electrical chemistry

charge

resistance

SIMPLE MACHINES

FLIGHT / ROCKETRY

Are  Chem4KidsPhysics4KidsGeography4Kids (earth science and weather);Cosmos4KidsBiology4Kids. enough with some Science documentaries for Grade 4 and 5(STEM Career)?

Are  Chem4KidsPhysics4KidsGeography4Kids (earth science and weather);Cosmos4KidsBiology4Kids. enough with some Science documentaries for Grade 4 and 5(STEM Career)?

First, gently, and JMO: at grade 4/5 I REALLY don't think you need to worry about STEM career curriculum. ;) I personally don't think I'd worry about getting STEM-career-serious until high school. What I WOULD do is use these years to delve deep into science topics of interest, do science fair projects, and do lots of experiments, read lots of books from the library, what science videos, and keep that love of learning alive. [End of my opinionated aside. LOL]

I think you could certainly use the Rader websites you linked as a "spine", and enjoy going deeper with documentaries, library books, and experiments. The Rader websites make a nice list of topics to make sure to hit on in each subject area, but they don't go very deep. Have fun adding on. And enjoy your science adventures together! Warmest regards, Lori D.

First, gently, and JMO: at grade 4/5 I REALLY don't think you need to worry about STEM career curriculum. ;) I personally don't think I'd worry about getting STEM-career-serious until high school. What I WOULD do is use these years to delve deep into science topics of interest, do science fair projects, and do lots of experiments, read lots of books from the library, what science videos, and keep that love of learning alive. [End of my opinionated aside. LOL]

I think you could certainly use the Rader websites you linked as a "spine", and enjoy going deeper with documentaries, library books, and experiments. The Rader websites make a nice list of topics to make sure to hit on in each subject area, but they don't go very deep. Have fun adding on. And enjoy your science adventures together! Warmest regards, Lori D.

Thanks Lori D.

I need your opinion about Time4learning Middle school Life Science curriculum .Kindly have a look and are these enough for Grades 4-6(Though they are meant for Grades 6,7 and 8 for T4L Users).

Chapter 1: "Introduction to Living Things" Lesson Activity Name Type LA# Worksheet Characteristics of Living Things: Students will be able to differentiate between living and nonliving things based on characteristics common to living things, including growth and development, reproduction, cellular organization, use Characteristics of Living Things   MSSC165   Authentic Task: Viruses   MSSC634   Lesson Quiz: Characteristics of Living Things quiz_icon.gifquiz_icon_ak.gif     Life Cycles: Students will be able to distinguish between the different life cycles of various organisms, including complete and incomplete metamorphosis and human life cycles. Life Cycles   MSSC166   Authentic Task: Life Cycle Examples   MSSC721   Odyssey Writer: Research a Life Cycle   MSSC516   Lesson Quiz: Life Cycles quiz_icon.gifquiz_icon_ak.gif     Stimuli and Behavior: Students will be able to predict how an organism will change its behavior given an external stimulus. Stimuli and Behavior   MSSC167   Lesson Quiz: Stimuli and Behavior quiz_icon.gifquiz_icon_ak.gif     Homeostasis of Organisms and Feedback: Students will be able to predict how an organism's internal environment will respond given a stimulus. Homeostasis of Organisms and Feedback   MSSC168   Lesson Quiz: Homeostasis of Organisms and Feedback quiz_icon.gifquiz_icon_ak.gif

Sorry am unable to paste all lessons here:(   but if anybody used T4L MS Science then suggest me.....Thanks.....

Chapter 2: "Cells"

Chapter 3: "Unicellular and Multicellular Organisms"

Chapter 4: "Ecology"

Chapter 5: "Population Ecology"

Chapter 6: "Genetics"

Chapter 7: "Evolution"

Chapter 8: "Classification"

Chapter 9: "Organs and Organ Systems"

Chapter 10: "Human Health"

Chapter 11: "Plants"

and for Physical Science:

Chapter 1: "Physical and Chemical Changes"

Chapter 2: "Atoms, Elements, and Compounds"

Chapter 3: "Mixtures and Solutions"

Chapter 4: "The Periodic Table"

Chapter 5: "Chemical Formulas and Reactions"

Chapter 6: "States of Matter"

Chapter 7: "Motion"

Chapter 8: "Force"

Chapter 9: "Gravity and Weight"

Chapter 10: "Density and Buoyancy"

Chapter 11: "Energy"

Chapter 12: "Heat"

Chapter 13: "Waves"

Chapter 14: "Light"

and many subtopics under main Topics.....