Menu

Okay, NOW tell me about hsing in WA

Mom in High Heels

I'm from there and they're pretty easy.

1. File a Declaration of Intent for kids over 8 - name, age, address.

2. Annual testing for kids over 8 - either a standardized test of your choice or an assessment by a certified teacher.

3. A non-specific requirement to keep records.

My favorite part of WA is that state law requires school districts to allow homeschoolers equal access to public school programs - extracurriculars like sports and individual classes in middle school/high school (long-term I'm thinking foreign language and science).

Enjoy the move!

I'm from there and they're pretty easy.

1. File a Declaration of Intent for kids over 8 - name, age, address.

2. Annual testing for kids over 8 - either a standardized test of your choice or an assessment by a certified teacher.

3. A non-specific requirement to keep records.

My favorite part of WA is that state law requires school districts to allow homeschoolers equal access to public school programs - extracurriculars like sports and individual classes in middle school/high school (long-term I'm thinking foreign language and science).

Enjoy the move!

:iagree:

Go to the WHO website.

What kind of things do you kids like to do? I'm sorry the WA social group is gone the way of all groups, because you will have A LOT of neighbors, with great ideas.

The Nisqually Marine camp in the summer is fun and educational. Wolf Camp ditto (they are out of Puyallup and have a website). There is a fine, fine ice skating rink near Ft Lewis, skiing in the mountains, and sail/boat camps, etc. etc. low tide days at the city park of Tacoma, a children's museum and much historical stuff in Olympia. And that isn't scratching Seattle with the youth series at the concert hall and the Asian art museum, zoos, old growth forest, ferry rides, etc.

Washington is easy-peasy, like an above poster stated. There is a college credit minimum required to homeschool that one of the parents has to meet, or you have to take a homeschooling parent class. I've never taken the class, but I hear it is a joke. The yearly testing is also a joke. They will never check up on you or ask for the scores. There is also a homelink program, but that differs by location and school district. Some are run by homeschool parents and work just like a very well organized co-op, while others are managed by the local school district and vary in quality.

So no Charlottesville? That's too bad.

But like others sad, Washington is no problem. We lived there for a few years after living in two very low-stress states and overseas where there were no rules, and I worried that it would be annoying, but it wasn't at all. It's actually very similar to Virginia, except you don't have to submit the annual testing/assessment to anyone. The testing is just for your records.

Western Washington is wonderful. There's so much to see and do there. You'll have a wonderful time!

very easy. You have to file a declaration of intent with your district (use the one from the state, and get a stamped received by district copy). you have to test/assess every year, but YOU keep the results and don't have to show them to anyone. You need to have at least a year of college, or attened a one-day homeschool class that is put on by members of the homeschool community.

depending upon where you settle, there are some strong homeschool communities here. Up in kirkland (about an hourish north of ft lewis) there is even a homeschool bookstore. (homeschoolpotpourrie) they have lots of used, consigned and new.

It has been pretty easy in this state to homeschool. We are on our first "official" year. The form we filled out for our district asked their name/date of birth/age/grade, and had more spaces to eventually add all my children on the same form.

The Seattle/Olympia/Kitsap areas have a lot of different activities. There is a lot of hiking or beach combing you can get into around here, if you don't mind the cold or wait till warmer months. There are homeschooling groups on Yahoo Groups that I belong to that are pretty active.

As for the records, you need to keep your yearly test or assessment but as far as I know and asked around, nobody asks to see these. They are for your own personal records. There are 11 subjects that are required, but a lot of the topics can be covered quite easily. The Washington Homeschooling Association website lists out the current law and also has a lot of other useful information:

http://www.washhomes...ooling/law.html

My favorite part of WA is that state law requires school districts to allow homeschoolers equal access to public school programs - extracurriculars like sports and individual classes in middle school/high school (long-term I'm thinking foreign language and science). Enjoy the move!

This is great to know! I was going to start looking into what access we had to the public schools!

Up in kirkland (about an hourish north of ft lewis) there is even a homeschool bookstore. (homeschoolpotpourrie) they have lots of used, consigned and new.

I was just up there today! I will be sure to sneak off next time to check it out.