Menu

BJU $99 Online Sale until Jan. 25th

Thanks! I was wishing it was still available. Now I have a decision to make. :)

You're not alone. It's funny b/c two weeks ago I was certain that if only we hadn't gotten sick during break and missed the deadline, I would definitely have signed Ds up for one. Now that it's available again I am not sure. What is wrong with me? Ugh!

I know the $99 seems like a deal, but when you look at $299 and getting the whole student kit with it, it breaks even. And if someone has a few kids or splits with a friend and gets the grade level or does the 6 classes for 1/2 price deal, it really comes out fair. I can't imagine not having the books. I actually PLANNED on doing it this way (doing 1/2 the book without the videos and then adding them in with the sale), and frankly I don't think I saved any money, not in my case.

I know the $99 seems like a deal, but when you look at $299 and getting the whole student kit with it, it breaks even. And if someone has a few kids or splits with a friend and gets the grade level or does the 6 classes for 1/2 price deal, it really comes out fair. I can't imagine not having the books. I actually PLANNED on doing it this way (doing 1/2 the book without the videos and then adding them in with the sale), and frankly I don't think I saved any money, not in my case.

If someone already owned the books from an older child using them, or had a place the get used for a very good price, the total price would be a real savings. I think it just depends on how many courses you want to do and the price of the books. I was able to buy the 3rd grade books last year for used for about $35 (included an unused student activity book, too). $134 was much better than $299. I only wanted the one subject, though.

Something to think about. That makes me pause. We do have the Student books for Biology (though it is 2nd edition, so not sure if it would line up with the course) and History (both old editions of world & American)

I was thinking it's a lower cost way to try BJU online to see if we might want to do it in the future. But, if you don't have books, it does seem like it's not such a deal.

Something to think about. That makes me pause. We do have the Student books for Biology (though it is 2nd edition, so not sure if it would line up with the course) and History (both old editions of world & American)

I was thinking it's a lower cost way to try BJU online to see if we might want to do it in the future. But, if you don't have books, it does seem like it's not such a deal.

They give you a pdf of the tm and student text. Most courses have student activity pages either in the back of the text or as separate lab books or both. If you have the student books, you could probably make do with the pdf of the tm. Just gotta crunch through the numbers for the particular course and what you have and what you will need. We're not really using the entire physical science course. I decided with her to put our energy into the labs. So I use the tm for the labs a TON. The tm for the text I don't use so much, because we aren't using the text a ton. With the videos, now that we have access to them, what I'm having her do is just watch *select* videos. I'm looking for the videos that provide the background for the labs. The lectures are 45 minutes long, which is turning out to be really long/tiring for her. She likes Mr. Harmon a LOT, but the lectures wear her out. That's why we agreed we'd use them selectively (to fit the components we've decided to use of the course) rather than watching everything.

That might not fit someone else's situation, but it fits ours. The online version is turning out to work well for that, because all the videos are listed by chapter and then as lessons within that, with complete lecture summaries. So we can quickly pick out the ones we need and move on. There's a lot there for someone who wants to use the entire course, and I'm very impressed with it, moreso than I thought I would be. I love how easy it makes it to keep track of completions. I think they've got the assessments online there (just looking at the things in the list). Dd likes the blog/discussion features. It's just all incredibly well-done. In our case it's a matter of harnessing that without wearing her out in the process. And like you say, $99 is the right pricepoint to try it and decide for yourself. You'd be really skunked if you paid $300 and it didn't fit. At $99, you're much happier. I'm sure that's part of their logic with the $99 pricepoint. I'm definitely impressed.

Thanks, Elizabeth this is helpful. I'm leaning toward the Biology since it's been quite a stretch for him. I messed up--we have 3rd edition, not 2nd. That should be closer to current. Not sure when the class was recorded, but it may even have been before the 4th came out? Will have to check into that. I just can't see sitting a history loving kid in front of DVDs for stuff he most likely already knows. Though, Dd would probably be able to pick up a few things too, so that's a plus. Still debating.

Are the blog/discussions only for the class being taken or are they more like a general forum.

• 3 months later...

They're giving 10% off at the conventions right now. The $99 was no books and that is at Christmas, sort of a rescue me from the hole I fell into kinda thing. You can price it out, but it doesn't necessarily save you much if you already bought the books new (which you end up doing for these new editions). But price it out and see.

You asked about teaching it in your other thread. You're not going to have a problem teaching through the gr 7 book (new edition). The algebra 1 *I* wouldn't want to have to teach. I could, but I wouldn't want to. (explaining the thought process, etc. to someone who thinks very differently from me, ugh) When we do the C level problems and dominion math from the books, the answers in the tm are very clear and worked out enough that I have no issues.

You are so helpful! I will be honest, I'm freaking out a little. I have 3 boys, 6, 11 and 16. BJU has been a good fit because the TM have been so helpful to me. It was a struggle with my oldest because I'm not great at math. We outsource for high school math because that's my limit. The idea of the books getting more difficult has me wondering if I should switch everyone! My 11 year old makes 95-100 on every test. When I showed him a cle book, he said it looked like scrambled eggs. That made me laugh but he was saying that he doesn't care for the spiral. Also he is doing so well that I have a hard time switching. So if I can get him through 7th grade, then I can certainly put him in the co op a year early if I feel prealgebra will do me in. ;) the 6th grade samples look good.

My youngest is finishing K and I have already bought Rod & Staff and CLE 1st grade in addition to the BJU that I already own. (Can you tell I am in panic mode?)

I was worried that I wouldn't be able to teach the middle school level of the new edition. I'm a bit math phobic and have heard that it's considerably different. I think I will stay the course and if I get stuck, maybe add online or DVDs for my 11 year old. Thanks for your help!