Menu

Is CLE math enough?

Momofeat

My 8th grade dd has dyscalculia, and she has struggled with math all the way through school. Over the years we have tried many different math curricula, and finally this year we've settled on a combination of ALEKS math, which is online, and CLE math, and she is making steady progress. She is 2 years behind in math, even though she is a very bright child and is above grade level in other areas.

It's tempting to keep this combo, but it is very time consuming for her to complete 2 programs at the same time, and ALEKS math involves a monthly fee that I would love to drop. I also feel like CLE is helping her more, because of the built-in review. I like ALEKS, too, because it gives her problems in a different format.

Soooo...would CLE be enough? How does it rate as a math program for the average (or even below average) math student?

I would love to hear from those of you who are familiar with CLE and have older students.

Thank you!

We don't have older kids, but have really found that CLE helps our girls who struggled with mastery based programs. The review and overall approach is fantastic. You can find many threads on the forum describing success stories from families using CLE. I don't think you need two programs unless she is just not getting what CLE is teaching. In those cases you could always use a supplimental program vs. another full spine. For example Khan Academy, Math Mammoth,etc... can be used without the higher cost of Aleks.

Here's a good thread on CLE usage: http://forums.welltr...one-love-it-so/

I'd be very comfortable using CLE as a sole math program for a child that needs the spiral setup. My friend uses it with her DD, and it has been amazing how her DD went from math-phobic to actually good at math. That's all they use - CLE. This child just started the 5th grade LU's, but I've only heard similar good things about all of the Sunrise Edition levels (they have up through algebra now, I think?).

Are you trying to get her caught up or just trying to gain a regular year? I have a daughter in a similar situation (few years behind) and in order to try to get her caught up, I'm doing a combination of online (we use Dreambox but I was checking out ALEKS), xtra math (5 min day), and Miquon (I watch the education unboxed videos for help) and a problem solving supplemental workbook (like a juggling act).

I know it sounds crazy and sometimes I feel like that's why I'm becoming :)

She also learns very differently and this combo works depending on her mood.

Good luck!

Are you trying to get her caught up or just trying to gain a regular year? I have a daughter in a similar situation (few years behind) and in order to try to get her caught up, I'm doing a combination of online (we use Dreambox but I was checking out ALEKS), xtra math (5 min day), and Miquon (I watch the education unboxed videos for help) and a problem solving supplemental workbook (like a juggling act).

I know it sounds crazy and sometimes I feel like that's why I'm becoming :)

She also learns very differently and this combo works depending on her mood.

Good luck!

Right now, I'm happy to report that she's progressing slightly faster than a year each year. I don't know if she'll get caught up, but we want to get her as far along as possible. She is borderline gifted in other areas, so college is a definite possibility for her.

By the way, I do like ALEKS. It's just that we're having a hard time doing both, and I think that CLE is doing more for her.

We are using just CLE, and trying to get caught up to grade level. I was adding in other programs, but that was just adding to ds's dislike of math. Now that we are just doing CLE we are making good progress, and ds is liking math a bit better. We school year round so we just go straight into the next level, but skip the first book.

We are using just CLE, and trying to get caught up to grade level. I was adding in other programs, but that was just adding to ds's dislike of math. Now that we are just doing CLE we are making good progress, and ds is liking math a bit better. We school year round so we just go straight into the next level, but skip the first book.

That's what I'm hoping for.

However, I told dd that we were thinking about dropping ALEKS and just doing CLE tonight, and she had a meltdown! She wants to drop CLE and just do ALEKS. I finally realized that we have a major psychological thing going on here. According to ALEKS, she's just a year behind, but in CLE it's 2 years. I think CLE is the better program, though, so I'm not willing to drop it. We may have to keep them both after all!

That's what I'm hoping for.

However, I told dd that we were thinking about dropping ALEKS and just doing CLE tonight, and she had a meltdown! She wants to drop CLE and just do ALEKS. I finally realized that we have a major psychological thing going on here. According to ALEKS, she's just a year behind, but in CLE it's 2 years. I think CLE is the better program, though, so I'm not willing to drop it. We may have to keep them both after all!

Well, if she doesn't mind doing them both, then like they saying goes 'if it aint broke don't fix it.' :D

My friend's DD was using CLE a year behind when she took her first standardized test (SAT10). This is a child who was terrified of math. Well, she scored ABOVE average on the test... again, using CLE a year behind. My friend has also paid attention to what her DD's public school friends are doing in math, and they are not doing what this girl is doing in CLE. So maybe you could tell your DD that CLE is a year ahead of most programs? ;)

Once you get to high school, there are no more grade levels, thankfully! Do you have specific high school goals? Maybe discuss those and how you plan to get there, showing that those goals are doable even if your DD is "2 years behind" the grade level on the book.

I think I would just stick with CLE. If any of the math facts or the 4 operations are slowing her down, you may want to back up to level 4 or 5. I understand she may not be happy about the lower levels but perhaps you could try to get through them quicker. DS was able to get through level 400 in about 4 months by doing a lesson everyday and doubling up on some days. You may be able to get her up by 2 or 3 levels in a full year. You could try one lesson in the am and one in the pm on some days too. Also, if there are problem types that she has really mastered, then you could cross out some of them.