Menu

Hunger Games birthday party ideas?

Joker

Older dd has an upcoming birthday and wants a Hunger Games party. We found some neat invitations online we can print. We just need some fun ideas besides just watching the movie. It will probably be too dark when everyone arrives to do anything outside and they will be sleeping over. Most of the girls will be 13 years old.

You could have party favors attached to silver balloons like the parachutes in the book.

There could be a makeup session to see who could do the best camouflage like Peeta.

You could have them try strange foods like what they might have to eat in the wilderness. You could get those suckers with crickets in them or those nacho and barbecue flavored larva.

Maybe a scavenger hunt for prizes.

You could hide prizes all around and then have them all hunt at the same time like the cornucopia.

Capitol District costume/makeup contest (most outlandish presentation wins)

There are probably HG trivia contests, if all the girls have already read the book (if not, maybe you can make teams)

I don't even know if such a thing exists, but some kind of Nerf archery?

Cupcake decorating (no frosting anybody to death...).

Sounds like a great idea for a party.

Thanks! These are awesome ideas! Dd really would like to do some sort of Nerf battle, but I'm not sure how that would work inside (our entire house is only 1000 sq ft). She thinks we could set up something outside, but we have a reservoir pond in the back and it makes me a bit nervous to think of a bunch of kids running around back there in the dark.

I see on Amazon they have a few board game type things for HG, so I'll look into that as well.

I definitely want to try and make the food fit with the HG idea.

I taught a Hunger Games class at our co-op and one thing the kids really enjoyed was making bow and arrows. similar to this http://www.skiptomylou.org/2012/07/24/diy-pvc-bow-and-arrow/ WE used pencil erasers on the end and they each had their own tiny cup of paint. The target was a huge tarp with two body outlines taped on and a pig with an apple in its mouth. They would dip their arrows into the paint first so we knew who was actually hitting the targets and where. THe kids liked this so much that we did this activity twice.

They also really liked doing this "panem to panem" game- totally worth the $5 to have a fun, themed game to play

http://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Product/Hunger-Games-Panem-to-Panem-game-similar-to-Apples-to-Apples