Menu

How long after you have the flu can you get the flu vaccine?

momto10blessings

We had the flu over Christmas and after being out of commission for 2 weeks I am considering getting the vaccine. I am pregnant and also got Bronchitis after the flu. I've seen people get the flu more than once a year. I've never had the flu vaccine before. Can I get it when I have bronchitis and just 3 wks after I had the flu? Thanks in advance

I would talk to your doctor about this. I know one of the questions before receiving the vaccination is "are you currently ill?" Since you have bronchitis the answer is yes. But you also have the need to be protected during pregnancy -- doctors decision. IMO

I hope you feel better soon! :grouphug:

Definitely talk to your doc. The reason for not getting a vaccine while you're sick with something other than flu (according the local news radio today) is that your body won't be able to make enough flu antibodies, so the flu vaccine won't be as effective.

Since you've already had the flu once this year, at least you've had one of the strains going around. But you *could* have a bout with another strain. Aaaack. I hope not.

We did that last year. Flu A and B the first go round, then norovirus, then "EuroFlu" ... It was a nightmare. The last round was the worst, I have never been so sick. EuroFlu kicked our American flu out the stadium last year. Yikes. Or maybe our immune systems were just so low by that time, we were sicker than we would have been.

I would definitely talk to your doctor about how to time the vaccine, if you opt for it.

Pregnancy compromises the immune system so you are more at risk. One of those things that doens't get advertised, but that's how nature prevents your body rejecting a genetically different embryo.

with my last pregnancy, I had pneumonia so was doubly compromised. I chose to get the flu shot and my ob supported and agreed with me. I didn't think I needed it, but thought all things considered it would be better safe than sorry. I didn't get flu that winter.

I had only had the shot once before in my life - and I was *very* immune compromised at that time. (I will add - that "little voice" in my head was DEMANDING I get the shot) I even got the flu TWICE that season. (I hardly ever get the flu). the first time I was as sick as I"ve ever been with the flu, that little voice in my head kept saying "If you hadn't had the shot, it would have been worse. and you'd have been in the hospital with no medical insurance." the second time that season wasn't very bad, just really annoying.

that said - fewer places will give the flu shot to a pregnant woman because they are afraid of liability. I would wait a few weeks after all symptoms have gone before thinking of getting the shot. I had the flu shot three MONTHS after I was medically declared over the pnuemonia.

eta: - you're not supposed to get the flu shot during the first trimester.

I agree that this is your OB's call. I know that if you are 3rd trimester during flu season they definitely want you to get the flu shot. Flu is a big risk of premature delivery. I was just reading today that the baby will get some of the protection from the vaccine too. I don't know if the recommendation is different for 1st or 2nd trimester, but of course your OB will know. Pregnant women are a vulnerable population flu-wise. They were top priority when the H1N1 vaccine was in limited supply 3 years ago.

Thanks for the responses, lots of food for thought! The only vaccine I give my children is Tetanus since we live on a farm. Of course I would never let them get their Tetanus vaccine while sick, so I should go by those rules too. I'm just freaked out that I will be out of commission again. I havent had the flu in a few years and I guess it hit me so hard because I am older and more out of shape?

I have an appointment with my OB next week and will discuss it with her then.

Thanks again!