Menu

My amaryllis bloomed, now what?

Renthead Mommy

Walgreens had amaryllis bulbs, in rocks in a vase for about $13. I remember these from when I was kid so bought one. It is beautiful. Much better than I ever expected for $13 at pharmacy no less.

It bloomed six huge blood red flowers with two more possible buds to come. It got so tall my husband had to move it off the coffee table as it was blocking the TV.

But I've never done anything with bulbs before. When it's done blooming, what do I do with it? Will it save for next year? Do I plant it? Do I plant it now or wait for spring? (The ground is currently thawed, so I could do that if that's what I'm supposed to do.)

I wish we could upload photos, because they are just beautiful!

My mom always planted them outside in the spring and then dug them up after the first frost. Then she would keep them in the fridge for about 2 months before pulling them to put in their little pots inside. I realize that's not very specific, but I'm sure you could find other information on it. She usually has about a dozen in various places around the house at Christmas. So pretty!

My mom plants them in Michigan outside for the summer. They are lovely. Drys them out and they bloom for Christmas. I'm trying it on my own this year for the first time too! She says the secret is to dry them out and store in a cool dark place. I think the refrigerater sounds great.

At our house, after they bloom, you forget to water them or put them in a room without heat when you leave for a weeks vacation. Then next year your family buys you another box of rocks and bulbs and you try all over again.......But that's probably not what you wanted to hear. :blushing:

After it blooms it needs to store energy for next season. There are variations in instrutions, but the last person I spoke with said trim the leaves, take it out of the soil and store it in a cool dark place for 6 weeks then start over. My mil has been super successful. She has gotten blooms for at least 5 years. I don't have that kind of attention span.