Menu

Tell me about First Language Lessons

Mom28kds

I've noticed alot of people use this for the younger years. I'm currently using CLE LA but not sure I like all the dictionary marks like the schwa that it has them do. I think it is overkill. Next year I'll have a 1st, 2nd and 3rd grader and am reconsidering my curriculum. Can you tell me about FLL?

I'm not fond of it, the scripting was extremely annoying. I found myself loathing it, but figured it was just MY issue as so many LOVE it. We switched to Rod & Staff English and couldn't be happier. My son says it's "more fun" than FLL, he enjoys having his own book and lessons are quick/easy.

I'm not fond of it, the scripting was extremely annoying. I found myself loathing it, but figured it was just MY issue as so many LOVE it. We switched to Rod & Staff English and couldn't be happier. My son says it's "more fun" than FLL, he enjoys having his own book and lessons are quick/easy.

Any idea if Rod and Staff has the kids do all the dictionary sounds (I forget the name of them). Having the kids remember all those is making it harder on the kids.

We like it over here. Here's the links to my blog posts about lessons 1-40 to see the sort of things you can do with it.

Thank you for this link and for the posts on your blog! We are working through FLL 1 orally here for Kindergarten, and the girls love it! These ideas will add to our lessons. :)

OP --

With my oldest, we worked through FLL 1 (orally) in Kindergarten, then FLL 2 in 1st grade (mostly oral/some written work).

This year for 2nd grade, we started off with Rod and Staff English. We quickly came back to FLL, and are working through FLL 3. I am pleasantly surprised at how much she has retained and has been able to apply from Levels 1 & 2. They were definitely worth doing, the lessons were gentle and simple, and even the younger children learned the songs/chants from listening to the CD (recommended). I think the work we did in Levels 1 & 2 has made Level 3 a breeze (so far) for my oldest.

We plan to finish Level 1 this year with the K'ers and Level 2 next year with them in 1st grade. Now that I've taught through Level 1 once, I don't really need the script much. In fact, I typed out a list of the grammar concepts taught and I work from that. I don't pull out the teacher guide, but instead teach the lessons with a small white board (for me) and notebook paper (for the students). It's very simple and surprisingly effective. HTH.

Edited to add: We don't do the picture narrations, dictations, story narrations, or poetry memorization in FLL. All we do is the grammar. HTH.

Narrations = WWE

Dictations = WWE + AAS

Poetry Memorization = Beautiful Memories (our own choice of similar poems)

Thank you for this link and for the posts on your blog! We are working through FLL 1 orally here for Kindergarten, and the girls love it! These ideas will add to our lessons. :)

OP --

With my oldest, we worked through FLL 1 (orally) in Kindergarten, then FLL 2 in 1st grade (mostly oral/some written work).

This year for 2nd grade, we started off with Rod and Staff English. We quickly came back to FLL, and are working through FLL 3. I am pleasantly surprised at how much she has retained and has been able to apply from Levels 1 & 2. They were definitely worth doing, the lessons were gentle and simple, and even the younger children learned the songs/chants from listening to the CD (recommended). I think the work we did in Levels 1 & 2 has made Level 3 a breeze (so far) for my oldest.

We plan to finish Level 1 this year with the K'ers and Level 2 next year with them in 1st grade. Now that I've taught through Level 1 once, I don't really need the script much. In fact, I typed out a list of the grammar concepts taught and I work from that. I don't pull out the teacher guide, but instead teach the lessons with a small white board (for me) and notebook paper (for the students). It's very simple and surprisingly effective. HTH.

Edited to add: We don't do the picture narrations, dictations, story narrations, or poetry memorization in FLL. All we do is the grammar. HTH.

Narrations = WWE

Dictations = WWE + AAS

Poetry Memorization = Beautiful Memories (our own choice of similar poems)

Which would I use for my next year 1st and 2nd grader? Would I use if for my 3rd as well?

I will let others with more experience speak to which level is best. However, each one does include quite a bit of review, so you're probably okay going with grade level - just not sure about combining.

However, I wanted to say that FLL has been perhaps my biggest and best surprise in our homeschool journey.

I hated it at first! You can probably find old threads where I was complaining about the thing and begging people on here to give me permission to drop it (they did, but I didn't). And then, gradually, I grew to love it.

The scripting was WEIRD at first. None of our other subjects is as thoroughly scripted because I don't like it, but in this case, it's awesome, and I don't know exactly why I have come to love it so much. I am strong in language and okay explaining the concepts, but I love the fact that I could be half-asleep or even out of the house and my dd's still going to have a great lesson (even dh, who has no background in education or language can teach the lessons when I'm not here). I love the brevity of the lessons as well. None of the dread that accompanies some of our more complicated subjects.

So I would suggest going with this program even if it doesn't seem like "you" at first. Of course, your mileage may vary; mine's been great!

I really liked FLL 1 & 2, I followed the scripts loosely. I, however, HATED FLL 3 and we moved over to R&S English 3 and it's working out beautifully. In the future with my daughters, I plan to follow the same sequence, FLL 1&2 and then R&S English 3.

I am about to begin the FLL sequence for the fifth and final time and I really, really like it. The scripting was awkward for me at first, but I muscled through and now I love the "open-and-go-ness" of it. My oldest 2 only benefitted from FLL 1&2, and my third-born used through FLL3, since the others had not come out yet. My fourth-born is benefitting from all four volumes and, I have to say, the kid is a whiz at grammar. His definitions are solid. He is able to find prepositional phrases (including adjective phrases and adverb phrases), he diagrams really well, and his dictation and narration are great. No curriculum is for everyone, but this one is thorough, easy to implement, and efficient (we seldom spend more than 20 minutes/day on it...as little as 5-10 minutes/day at the younger levels.)

HTH,

I discovered TWTM when my dd was in first (she is now in 9th) and bought FLL 1&2. I lovesd it and it worked great. As soon as she was finished I started to use it with dd2....and that is when I realized that I would be using it every year for 7 years in a row. I panicked and sold it. Fast forward 6 years later and trying many different Grammar curriculum and failing, I find myself back with FLL using it with my (what would have been 6 years ago) youngest son and regretting having ever left it. I love it. Love the scriptedness, love the open and go, love the short, straight forward yet thorough lessons. We are very happy with it, I am only sorry that ALL is not available yet.

I will let others with more experience speak to which level is best. However, each one does include quite a bit of review, so you're probably okay going with grade level - just not sure about combining.

However, I wanted to say that FLL has been perhaps my biggest and best surprise in our homeschool journey.

I hated it at first! You can probably find old threads where I was complaining about the thing and begging people on here to give me permission to drop it (they did, but I didn't). And then, gradually, I grew to love it.

The scripting was WEIRD at first. None of our other subjects is as thoroughly scripted because I don't like it, but in this case, it's awesome, and I don't know exactly why I have come to love it so much. I am strong in language and okay explaining the concepts, but I love the fact that I could be half-asleep or even out of the house and my dd's still going to have a great lesson (even dh, who has no background in education or language can teach the lessons when I'm not here). I love the brevity of the lessons as well. None of the dread that accompanies some of our more complicated subjects.

So I would suggest going with this program even if it doesn't seem like "you" at first. Of course, your mileage may vary; mine's been great!

:iagree: Yes, and it's worth noting that when we first start out, we don't think we will have these half-asleep days... but we do. ;) :closedeyes: (Me, doing FLL one mid-winter morning).

About your surprise, Jayfer, I was just thinking the other day how FFL + WWE have surprised me. I think it's because they have substance. There are times when I think, "Now, what are we accomplishing here?" The programs are incremental, so you don't observe many light bulb moments, KWIM? But the students are still learning, at a pace that is just right. All that to say, there have been times when I looked for something else or wanted to put FFL or WWE in the recycling bin, but we kept at it, and now I'm glad we did. The longer we use Peace Hill Press products, the more impressed I am with them. HTH.

Didn't work for us at all - it was too scripted, too repetitive, and able to be done without the concepts sinking into the child's brain at all. We switched to Grammar Land and then MCT and we're much happier. I know this is a minority opinion, but am putting it out there so that you don't feel like a lonely only if it doesn't end up working for you!!

We didn't use FLL 1 & 2, but probably will with youngest DD. Using FLL 3 now with DD3 and love it. I would think you could combine your younger two in FLL 1 (or do both 1 & 2) and put your third grader in FLL 3. All together, it could be done in 30 minutes or less most days and would give you very solid results.

Would I need anything other than the teacher book?

Some lined paper.

Occasionally, some blank paper for drawing a picture.

A pencil.

[eta: in many cases, the pencil and paper are only needed for the enrichment, not the core lesson]

Really, truly, this is the "lightest" curriculum we have... and yet.

Oh, Jolanthe at HomeschoolCreations has printable poems to go with FLL... if you want something prettier you can print and display.