Menu

Do we have a 7th grade thread for next year yet?

I do a variation of this as well. We alternate history and science weeks. We also alternate Latin and German weeks. However, we do the "basics" of math, writing, spelling, grammar, logic, and memory work every day. So it's only science, history, Latin, and German we alternate. When the kids get older I'll look into doing even more weeks on and off scheduling.

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Interesting, we do "block" scheduling, and we double up on our History lessons, so History is about 1/2 day 2x week. Science has been lacking but I hope to change that this fall with the 1 or 2 half-days. I agree all that switching in one day has not been good for mine. It reminds me when I taught school and we were just getting deeply into a subject when the bell would ring. I have also found that 3 seems to be the limit to number of subjects my guys can handle in a day, not counting music. It started off as Pick 3 and has evolved to being 3 every day. Sometimes this means a little Sat morning "homework" but they much prefer that over a 4th subject in a day.

Anyway, just wanted to say, huh, hadn't thought of every other week. The language thing... I can't really imagine how that works, how they retain it... Curiouser and curiouser...

• 2 weeks later...

In case anybody else has a seventh grader on a more average level- we will NOT be doing Algebra before 9th grade.

Thinkwell Math 7

Words Aptly Spoken/Creative Writing at a local cottage school

Growing with Grammar 7

Truthquest AHYS3/MOH1 with TQ Ancients titles (mostly SL and WP resources)

Atelier Art

WinterPromise Jiggle, Jostle, Jolt science

Community Bible Study (Deuteronomy, Job, 1 Peter)

Some kind of foreign language- not sure about this.

Bit of a cop-out this year for my rising 7th grader, but we're doing Oak Meadow Grade 7 and K12 Middle School Spanish. I'm adding in Cover Story from the One Year Adventure Novel people and Mapping the World by Heart. I'm going to get some nice craft kits from Paper, Scissors, Stone and some beading projects for art and lots of books for independent reading.

We are moving twice next year (both international moves) so this keeps it a bit simple and suits my independent, check the box, creative writing girl.

I've just about figured out both 7th and 8th grade for DS12, so these 7th grade plans are unlikely to change much before September. Over the summer, he'll continue with math, work through LOF Physics and take a few music courses through Coursera.

Math:

AoPS Introduction to Geometry (finish)

AoPS Introduction to Counting and Probability

Science:

Physics - A friend is teaching this to her two sons, DS and another boy. She hasn’t picked a textbook yet, but I’m glad the decision is out of my hands!

History:

K12 Human Odyssey, Volume 3

English:

5 units from Excellence in Literature: Introduction to Literature

8-10 other novels, a few speeches, essays, poems, etc.

Writing With Skill 2 (possibly only half)

Caesar's English 1

Arabic:

CTY online course in the fall, just reviewing after Christmas.

French:

En bonne forme/Grammaire progressive/La portée des sons

A few novels and films

I am scaling back next year to enjoy our time more and combining 7th with 4th & 3rd for most things. As of right now...

Math (M, T, H & F)

Finish LOF Pre-Algebra & start/do LOF Algebra, possibly going back to John Hopkins CTY

Spanish (M, T & H)

Maybe The Easy Spanish, not sure yet. Did GSWS last year and GSWL the two years before that...having a hard time finding a curriculum I love to continue with :/

Handwriting (M, T & H)

Pentime 7

Health (F)

LifePac HealthQuest

History (M, T, H & F)

POE with middle school supplement and independent reading from Hakim

World Geography (M, T, H & F)

Trail Guide to World Geography

Science (M & F)

MP Astronomy (M)

MP Insects (F)

Language Arts (M, T, H & F)

POE with Middle School Supplement daily (M, T, H & F)

BW & MP combined (T & H) with the following books:

Unit 1

-Read Aloud (RA): Swiss Family Robinson & Poetry

-Independent (IR): Gulliver's Travels & Robinson Crusoe

-POE: already read Carry On, Mr. Bowdich so going to skip an extra independent to ease into school

Unit 2

-RA: D'Aulaire's Book of Greek Myths & Poetry

-IR: Black Ships Before Troy & The Girl Who Helped Thunder

-POE: Pocohontas

Unit 3

-RA: Murder at the Rue Morgue & Poetry

-IR: The Hound of the Baskervilles & Murder on the Orient Express

-POE: Almost Home

Unit 4

-RA: The Wind in the Willows & Poetry

-IR: The Call of the Wild & White Fang

-POE: The Sign of the Beaver

Unit 5

-RA: The Story of King Arthur and His Knights

-IR: Black Horses for the King & The Sword in the Stone

-POE: The Captain's Dog

Unit 6

-RA: Around the World in 80 days (with the TGWG guide)

-IR: Just So Stories

-POE: Bound for Oregon

Activities

Running (M, T & F)

Boy Scouts (M)

Guitar (T)

Taekwondo (W)

Gymnastics (H)

UMYF (Sun)

I changed a lot from my first post so I am reposting.

LA: WWS, Kilgallon Grammar for Middle School, Wordly Wise 7

Logic:Art of Argument

Math: MUS Pre-Algebra and AoPS Pre-Algebra. Need to cover some concepts in MUS that AoPS assumes knowledge of.

Science: Apologia Finish General Science and start Physical Science

History/Literature: Omnibus 1 with Primary and Secondary Reading. We are going to take this at whatever pace DD needs.

Latin: Latin Alive

Bible: How to study your Bible by John MacArthur and Fundamentals of the Faith also by John MacArthur.

I changed a lot from my first post so I am reposting.

LA: WWS, Kilgallon Grammar for Middle School, Wordly Wise 7

Logic:Art of Argument

Math: MUS Pre-Algebra and AoPS Pre-Algebra. Need to cover some concepts in MUS that AoPS assumes knowledge of.

Science: Apologia Finish General Science and start Physical Science

History/Literature: Omnibus 1 with Primary and Secondary Reading. We are going to take this at whatever pace DD needs.

Latin: Latin Alive

Bible: How to study your Bible by John MacArthur and Fundamentals of the Faith also by John MacArthur.

I think I've got everything decided now:

Bible: Awana Trek, *A Young Person’s Guide to Knowing God, *Tales of Persia, *Trial and Triumph, *In God We Trust

Math: Saxon Algebra 1

History: *My Father's World 1850-Modern Times

Science: Apologia General Science

Language Arts: Progeny Press (Johnny Tremain, Swiss Family Robinson), All-in-One English, Writing Strands 4, Letter Writing

Vocab: *English from the Roots Up Vol. 2

Art: *Draw and Write Through History, *Home Art Studio, Co-op Class

Music: *Introduction to U.S. Composers CDs (Foster, Sousa, and Gershwin), *America’s Favorite Patriotic Songs

Foreign Language: Florida Virtual School Spanish

Logic: The Fallacy Detective, Perplexors: Level A & B

PE: Co-op Class, Football

Extras: Survival Skills (Co-op), Dance Mat Typing

*combined with siblings

We have our co-op on Friday mornings for three hours for about nine weeks where he'll be in p.e., art, and survival skills classes for the fall semester. I'm not sure what spring classes will be offered but I count these as fun extras anyways.

This will be our first time using the Florida Virtual School (for Spanish). If it's a good experience, we'll likely use them for more elective classes in the future for as long as we live in Florida.

I'm also having him read the Hobbit/Lord of the Rings books this summer and school year and MFW schedules several read-aloud books that we read throughout the year.