Menu

What are you doing for memory work?

Anyone care to share what they are doing for memory work? We started this last month and have been working on the serenity prayer, basic latin phrases and the FLL poems. I'm looking for inspiration on what to do next. :)

Bible verses, catechism, hymns, short poems, history timeline, science facts, Latin grammar, geography (states, countries, etc.), books of the Bible, names of the twelve apostles ... We did the Pledge of Allegiance and I'm wondering if we should do the anthem ... this is about all currently, though.

We've only been working on this for a few months, after I realized that my dd10 was retaining absolutely NOTHING, and it drove me crazy to review every little thing. We started slowly, using the Charlotte Mason notecards method, and she actually loves doing it. We picked some key history dates and names based on what we were learning. In science we did a unit on classification and so memorized some of that stuff. For math we included different cards on measurement ("measurement: US, length" for example, and "measurement: metric, length"). I'll add more of those as she masters what we've got. We also put in a card for squares, but I stayed away from "all of your multiplication facts." I'd like to add some Bible verses next.

Just to say again: she loves doing memory work. It's giving her such a sense of mastery and confidence. She also is better able to make connections now that at least this information is more readily available.

Thank you for all the replies. Living Memory is on my wish list but I am trying to be frugal. You have all given me lots of ideas to pursue and keep us going for awhile. I had never heard of Linguistic Development Through Poetry Memorization before. I really like that Linguistic Development has CDs that we could listen to as we drive around town.

Living Memory is on my wish list but I am trying to be frugal.

If you sign up for email updates from Lulu they occasionally send coupons. When I bought Living Memory I purchased the download and used a coupon for either 20 or 30% off (I can't remember for sure). So it ended up being very affordable and I will use it for many years to come.

Poems and songs comprise most of our memory work, but here are some other things that we have done:

The 13 orginal colonies

Family dates (everyone's birthday, parents' anniversary, etc.)

U.S Presidents

Math and science stuff: Prime numbers up to 60, symbols of common elements, boiling and freezing point of water, measurement (e.g., 1 Tablespoon= 3 tsp, 1 mile = 5280 feet). I try to stick with science facts that I consider fundamental to scientific literacy. I don't want science to become a hoard of trivia.

Right now, we are working on Greek and Roman mythology facts as preparation for the National Mythology exam.

DD is doing our weekly Scripture verses and the pieces in FLL.

The boys learn a poem a month (this month it's "Stopping by Awoods on a Snowy Evnong" by Robert Frost.). They also learn weekly Wcripture and for history they are memorizing the Presidents and the Declaratn of Independence.

We've done a lot of Bible memory in the past: the Lord's prayer, the 10 commandments, Psalm 1, Psalm 23, Psalm 139, the Beatitudes, sons of Jacob, apostles, books of the Bible. We've also done a lot of grammar:definitions of the parts of speech, list of linking verbs, list of helping verbs, list of prepositions. We just finished memorizing the first half of the Classical Conversations timeline and some of their math facts. For the rest of the year we'll memorize some of their history sentences (but I rearranged them because I don't like their order), the rest of their math facts, and get started with their science facts.

eta: I forgot to mention that we memorized the countries of South and Central America last year, we're doing the countries of Africa this year, and we'll do the states of the U.S. next year along with the U.S. presidents.

dds 8 and 10:

Books of the Bible for our ancients history list this year.

US presidents in order and US states in alphabetical order (this is review from last year)

latin prayers from PL

Science: they memorized the classification system this year and the body parts of an insect. That's all I can think of this year so far that we practiced ongoing

occasional Bible verse. The ones in MP CS are too long for us w/everyting else we have going on, so we aren't consistant with them. But sometimes a verse from S.S.

A few poems a year. Each spring they both learn a Shakespeare sonnet, so that will be coming up soon. Each has learned 2 poems from WYXGNTK (corresponding to their individual grade) so far this year, along with a preschool one w/my dn when I have her learn one. They all have to learn one when we do it, but we practice together, so they usually pick up the others'.

Their R&S math and English has them memorize a lot each year like the pronouns, parts of speech, math facts, and measurement conversions and such. I just use their oral review each day to do that.

Specifically for the almost 4 yr old:

Days of the week, Poetry and nursery rhymes and songs and the parts of an insect. This week her song was The Ants Go Marching. And occasional very short Bible verses. This week it was 'Thy Word is Truth' John 17:17.