Menu

What style of glasses are "in" for an 8-year-old boy?

My ds has been complaining of things being blurry. Today at his routine dr. visit I asked them to check his vision. He was 20/50 in one eye and 20/30 in the other. Soooo, we have an appointment with the eye doctor on Monday. I'm wondering what type of glasses are even in style for boys this age. Of course, his face, etc. will make a difference. I thought some ideas would be helpful. Thanks!

Well, we went thru the eyeglasses thing this past spring. My son is 12 and we ended up going to a clinic that offered a pretty good variety of kids' lenses. We didn't want to spend a great deal on his first pair(great advice of the eye care consultant) until we saw how he handled taking care of them. We went for a wire frame with a small lens. He looks great!!! You know, some people just have the face for glasses.

Oh, bit of advice coming from a mom that is technically blind. I encouraged my son to try contacts. He balked but I told him to try them just for those occasions when he would be in the water, or out in the sun and need his sunglasses(golfing).

Well, now he is a pro at putting them in but he has his glasses for days when he doesn't feel like wearing them. They are disposable...very reasonable for the convenience of them.

My nephew is 10 and I love his new glasses. They're kind of Harry-Potterish, but not so round (face-shape). Medium thick wire frames - his are navy blue. They should be able to give your son lots of ideas when he goes to pick out frames.

Navy Blue wire framed. I think they were made by Timberland. There is not a plethora of choices really. A few styles and a few different colors. I think he looks really good in his.

the frame-less or half-frame kind. My son loves them (my mom wears them, so he was influenced by her style). I've noticed that the lenses pop out of them easier. I've learned a few tricks on how to reinsert them by watching the people at Costco repair them. BTW, transitional lenses at Costco are $96. Regular lenses are around $30. My son it very hard on his glasses, so we've ended up buying 1 pair a year. Can't wait for him to agree to contact lenses!! However, he's very cute in glasses (Looks like Ralphie from "A Christmas Story").

K