Menu

Adults with Autism

With 1 in 88 kids in America being diagnosed with Autism Spectrum Disorder, I have to wonder what’s going to happen in the future when these kids grow up and outlive their parents. I’m curious about what other people across the county think about this issue. What are other people hoping for the future?

My hope would be that we start building multi-level care facilities where there would be a super-attractive independent living option. An adult with ASD could have his/her own apartment, but perhaps get help with driving, laundry, etc.

I wrote a column in support of this idea, in our local newspaper. It got retitled, so please don’t think that I’m implying that people with Asperger’s Syndrome are suffering! I wrote every word with good intentions, but I bet there are a thousand ways I could be misinterpreted.

:bigear:

What are you hoping for?

As the parent of an ASD teen, I just want to say thank you for caring.

My hope is that my ASD kiddo will live independently and work productively and find the life that is right for him. He just got his driver's permit today!

My fear is that he may not be able to take on the world or that the world will reject him for being different.

What I know is that he will develop in his time and in his way, not on anyone's time line. Patience and perseverance have been keys to our success.

Unfortunately our jails are full of people with things like RAD, and other disorders that your solution could have saved. I so badly would love to see our society come together and help people who cannot function as completely independent adults for different reasons. Care homes for independent living are a good thing to talk about. My grandparents employed a hired man who was mildly retarded. He lived in a small house on their farm that no one else would have lived in, but he was happy. My grandmother fed him breakfast and dinner as part of his wages and he fed himself dinner in his two room house. He could drive and went to church by himself. I bet there were a lot of hired men like that in rural America. It would be great to see answers that treated people with that much dignity today.

I think that there are many people in the 1 in 88 who will be able to live independently. I know a number of young adults with high functioning autism who are studying, working and living alone or with roommates. Are they as engaged socially as some of their peers? Not generally. But they are leading productive, independent lives. The number of people with autism who are incapable of independent living is way smaller than 1 in 88.

That said for those not able to live alone, it would be great for thereto be more and better options for them rather than what we have now- homelessness, group home, nursing home, jail or mental hospital.

Unfortunately our jails are full of people with things like RAD, and other disorders that your solution could have saved. I so badly would love to see our society come together and help people who cannot function as completely independent adults for different reasons. Care homes for independent living are a good thing to talk about. My grandparents employed a hired man who was mildly retarded. He lived in a small house on their farm that no one else would have lived in, but he was happy. My grandmother fed him breakfast and dinner as part of his wages and he fed himself dinner in his two room house. He could drive and went to church by himself. I bet there were a lot of hired men like that in rural America. It would be great to see answers that treated people with that much dignity today.

Bolded. Yes! I hope we can find answers that treat people with dignity. I love the story about your grandparents btw.

I think our society places too much emphasis on independence. Extended families and tribes used to live together all pooling their unique resources, and supporting weaknesses without labeling and stigmatizing.

Our society is sick, not the individuals.

I think our society places too much emphasis on independence. Extended families and tribes used to live together all pooling their unique resources, and supporting weaknesses without labeling and stigmatizing.

Our society is sick, not the individuals.

Well said, Hunter.