Menu

Singapore- Did I miss something?

Kathy G

Hi

I went to the SIngapore site to order a book. I realized that a bunch of stuff - Science and Math is being clearanced out or is out of stock permanently. What is the deal? Are they going to a different format? The NEM is going by the wayside? I had been thinking of using that for one of my kiddos- not a big deal because we can use AOPS too. Can someone fill me in?

Kathy

MPH science is changing. They update science curriculum every couple of years. I posted asking on the boards at singaporemath.com and Jenny said that change was happening.

I think there has been a change with the upper level math but I don't remember...but the boards there should have the answer.

And alight with common core is so much better because US is so much superior in math than other country.. :).... Just a bit sarcastic...

Yes, DM is aligned with "common core" which I don't quite understand how that works since Singapore is integrated.?.. I thought common core is separated into algebra and geometry?

Who has used DM? Have you liked it? Is it as rigorous? I too am a bit concerned with anything that is aligned to US standards (hate to write that) My DD would rather have the singapore feel than AOPS, but if it isn't as rigorous as NEM I will go with AOPS. I am assuming it is integrated like NEM- is that correct?

Thanks

And alight with common core is so much better because US is so much superior in math than other country.. :).... Just a bit sarcastic...

Yes, DM is aligned with "common core" which I don't quite understand how that works since Singapore is integrated.?.. I thought common core is separated into algebra and geometry?

Our local schools are switching over to integrated math this fall in order to align with the "common core". Students who have already taken Algebra or Geometry will be permitted to finish the traditional sequence, but students just finishing Pre-Algebra will be required to take Integrated Math I instead of a traditional Algebra course. The sequence will now be Pre-Algebra, Integrated Math I, Integrated Math II, Integrated Math III, Pre-Calculus, Calculus. I think this is happening statewide for us (on the east coast). I haven't looked at the new standards closely, but all of the local media coverage on this switch has made it sound like integrated math is required for "common core".

Our local schools are switching over to integrated math this fall in order to align with the "common core". Students who have already taken Algebra or Geometry will be permitted to finish the traditional sequence, but students just finishing Pre-Algebra will be required to take Integrated Math I instead of a traditional Algebra course. The sequence will now be Pre-Algebra, Integrated Math I, Integrated Math II, Integrated Math III, Pre-Calculus, Calculus. I think this is happening statewide for us (on the east coast). I haven't looked at the new standards closely, but all of the local media coverage on this switch has made it sound like integrated math is required for "common core".

Just curious- do you know the reasoning for the change?

That's interesting. I have not follow the common core closely. In NY, they are doing integrated math, but I always heard that they will change. i have no idea that common core is flowing integrated rather than traditional algebra, geometry..

I was using a different upper level singapore - New Syllabus math - and I finished levels 1 and 2 and they were discontinued. I switched to DM and i actually really like it! The chapters are a more uniform size and format. The problems are grouped more logically. The harder problems are in a different section instead of mixed in. (we skip them because my son has math anxiety and some issues - we also are using level 3 in 11th grade, so . . . )

Just curious- do you know the reasoning for the change?

The only reason they have given for switching to integrated math is that they are doing it in order to align with the "common core" math requirements. I suspect that it's a way to further water down math instruction. Our district now requires that all students take Algebra in 8th grade. Only remedial students who fail the qualifying exam can wait until 9th for Algebra. This has resulted in a slower paced Algebra with a much higher failure rate. Integrated math seems like an easy way to hide lower standards from parents who are unfamiliar with it.

Our local district also eliminated math acceleration at the elementary level at the beginning of this year. Again, they claimed that they were doing it in order to align with the "common core" math requirements. The reasoning was that children would no longer need acceleration, because the "common core" math requirements go "deeper". There was a lot of negative coverage in the local paper emphasizing the fact that accelerated children would be required to repeat a year of math. For example, a 4th grader who was working a grade ahead to complete 5th grade math would have been required to complete 5th grade math again in 5th grade to undo the acceleration. The negative media coverage forced the district to back down. They are now fazing in the "no math acceleration" rule, but allowing previously accelerated students to continue on the path they were already on.

I can't figure out whether these are really issues related to the "common core" or whether our district is just using it as an excuse to further eliminate gifted services and acceleration. They have already eliminated accelerated classes in middle school (4 yrs ago) and are currently raising the cut-offs for gifted identification to lower the number of children qualifying. The "integrated math" has gotten muddled up with all these other issues.

FYI: I live in a very large, affluent, urban school district on the east coast. Our county is filled with transplants from all over the country (and world) working in specialized computer, tech, and university professions. This is not a rural area where mathematically advanced students are few and far between. Quite the contrary. Unfortunately, most of the professional educators running our school district are locals who resent the input of parents who are "newcomers". The conflict in our school district often gets national coverage and it is a lot bigger and deeper than just math or gifted services or "common core" requirements.