Menu

Gingerbread Parthenon

• 1 month later...

We are in the process of assembling our gingerbread Parthenon. A couple of things I've learned ... With our size, we needed a 1 1/2 size batch of gingerbread (based on the recipe in the Activity Guide). I used 350 degrees F for 14+ minutes for half of the pieces & 375 degrees F for 14+ minutes for the second half. (I burned one piece. Oops!)

I was afraid we'd made the walls & such too thin, but so far they are doing fine (except where my decorator/carvers got a little to enthusiastic and cut too deeply).

My roof needed to be just a little bit bigger (longer? wider?), but it should work out okay with enough icing to cover the gaps.

As you can see, we're using cans to make sure the walls (and roof) stay in place until everything sets. The final part of the roof will go on tomorrow, hopefully. Then, the kids can decorate a bit & eat the cookies that we made with the rest of the dough. (The recipe in the AG is not very tasty, according to the kids. If you are going to be eating it, pick a tastier recipe.)

I read about three tutorials before attempting the icing (recipe on this link halved) or assembly.

I am not a kitchen goddess, so this attempt was purely for the kids' benefit.