Menu

Sensory box for 9 month old?

Tranquility7

Sensory box filled iwth rice for 9 month old?  

23 members have voted

1. 1. Can I fill a sensory box with rice for a 9 month old for supervised play?

• Yes, watching the child is no big deal.
    • Not for someone else's kid, but ok for your own if you want to.
    • No, that is insane, for your kid or anyone else's! What are you thinking?!

Is it insane to consider making a sensory box for a nine-month old that has rice in it? This is not for my child, but a Christmas present for another family. I wanted to make a sensory box using a small plastic container, rice, and scoops, funnels, spoons, toys, etc. in it.

I totally would have let my 9 month old play with it (*supervised*). But is this other mom going to think I'm nuts?

If she would think I'm nuts, is there something more appropriate to use as filler? Something bigger but still fun?

At that age I would not do rice in a traditional sensory bin. Make an I spy type bag for rice play at that age. Sensory items should be safe to eat at that age, so water, pudding, slime(cornstarch and water), if you want fill and pour, use dry cereal like rice krispies or cheerios, just buy the no name big bag and pour it into a bin. Safe to eat, and still sensory experience with fill/pour etc.

I don't think I would use rice. A few other ideas: shredded paper; Pom poms; cotton balls; packing peanuts.

I would use rice before using those with any young child. The choking hazard of either of those is way higher than with rice as they srink down and stick to surfaces like the windpipe.

Shredded paper is a huge hit with toddlers but again I would not use it with infants because is generally has ink on it and babes that put everything in their mouths do not need to injest the inks imo.

whoops missed the part about this being for someone else's child. In that case the I spy type bag or sensory bottles only. give a sensory experience with no mess.

Alternatively you can create a sensory bin of items to use for sensory play the parents chose. So a shoebox size bin with funnels, dry measuring cups, small sieve,little boats for the bathtub, toddler tweezers (lakeshore has ones we LOVE), little ladles and plastic ramikens are used her often for transferring activies etc. paint apron and a box of vanilla pudding for "fingerpainting",etc. All of that can be used on the parent's timetable as they feel ready to deal with the messes etc. And would last the child for years rather than a bin of rice that gets dumped in teh garbage in a month or so.

Is the mom into sensory activities at all? My sister is against them completely and my nephew hates to feel dirty so even at 4 he will not finger paint, or touch sand etc. She has never allowed sensory play so we didn't even know he was opposed to it until the preschool started sending home notes of concern about his avoidance of it. If you are not sure of her stance on it I would not send much mroe than bath type toys, or sand toys for the park. But a mom like me that thinks sensory play is very important and love doing it with the kids a great bin to play in would be very well received.

whoops missed the part about this being for someone else's child. In that case the I spy type bag or sensory bottles only. give a sensory experience with no mess.

Alternatively you can create a sensory bin of items to use for sensory play the parents chose. So a shoebox size bin with funnels, dry measuring cups, small sieve,little boats for the bathtub, toddler tweezers (lakeshore has ones we LOVE), little ladles and plastic ramikens are used her often for transferring activies etc. paint apron and a box of vanilla pudding for "fingerpainting",etc. All of that can be used on the parent's timetable as they feel ready to deal with the messes etc. And would last the child for years rather than a bin of rice that gets dumped in teh garbage in a month or so.

Is the mom into sensory activities at all? My sister is against them completely and my nephew hates to feel dirty so even at 4 he will not finger paint, or touch sand etc. She has never allowed sensory play so we didn't even know he was opposed to it until the preschool started sending home notes of concern about his avoidance of it. If you are not sure of her stance on it I would not send much mroe than bath type toys, or sand toys for the park. But a mom like me that thinks sensory play is very important and love doing it with the kids a great bin to play in would be very well received.

I feel so sorry for your nephew. That's the type of kid who should have had a ton of sensory play so he could desensitize.

OP, I'd do the bottles that others have suggested.