Menu

1st OB appointment at 14 weeks? What do you think?

AndyJoy

Hey ladies, I'm about 7 weeks pregnant and just called my OB to schedule my first appointment. Unfortunately, I live in a small town with two really overbooked OBs. The first available appointment was 7 weeks from now! I talked to a nurse and asked about getting an ultrasound before then for my peace of mind, so they did book one for later this week. This is kind of freaking me out a bit. I've had two miscarriages at the 11/12 week mark, so waiting that long to even have one visit with the doctor is bothering me. Not that there is necessarily anything they could do, but it feels weird, IYKWIM? What do you think? Is there anything else I should ask about before 14 weeks?

ETA: What about bloodwork? Is there anything that should be checked earlier?

Was there a cause determined for your previous losses? If low progesterone or hypothyroid are possible for you, you might want to get those levels checked. And as the previous poster mentioned, genetic screening happens earlier than 14 weeks. I hope your pregnancy goes smoothly!

I'm not planning to do genetic screening.

The standard around here is to wait until 3 miscarriages to check for causes. Several of my friends have told me our insurance will pay for the tests after 2 and they insisted and got them done. I just had my annual exam last month and mentioned this to my dr., and she said to schedule another appointment for that. Then I got pregnant, I discovered how booked up they are! I wonder if I should ask to get this checked without an appointment?

I'd push for at least blood tests to check progesterone and thyroid. Thyroid TSH should be under 2 throughout your pregnancy. Mine was at 3.5 when I got pregnant last time, which we discovered right away because I asked for testing. My doctor upped my medication dosage and it dropped to 1.5 within 6 weeks. Hypothyroid can cause miscarriage among other problems. There may be other conditions that can be caught with a simple blood test. Do you have a family doctor who can run labs for you?

For bloodwork, etc, a GP can do that for you.

I've been told that in this city, an OB won't see you til about 20 wks. I'm going to go to a walk in clinic this wk, b/c I haven't been able to find a GP yet, and get a referral as well as an appt for a dating u/s.

Guest inoubliable

Thanks for the help, ladies! I had my ultrasound today and everything looks good so far. I'm measuring at just over 7 weeks and the heartbeat was a good solid 157. They agreed to check my progesterone levels, so I had the blood drawn for that.

Congrats! :)