Menu

Looking for a board for discussing financial planning

kalanamak

I wish we had a financial board right here. There always seem to be posts about finances.

Good luck finding something!

Elise in NC

Could you (or the OP) start a social group? It's not quite as fast and furious as the forums, but it's an option.

Could you (or the OP) start a social group? It's not quite as fast and furious as the forums, but it's an option.

Honestly? I'd like to be much more anonymous on a financial board.

I'm looking for ROMEOs (Retired old men eating out) behind the keyboard. You know these guys. Wise to the ways of the world with time on their hands. :smilielol5:

By the way, if you'd like a male-ish version of this board, try the non-poker subboards on 2+2 poker forums. Here is a quote on a history thread -- they were discussing The Story of Us:

"But, I think they are putting a liberal slant on history. Maybe it is for the better, but I don't think it is 100% accurate history. for example, they implied that Cortez only beat the Tenochtitlan due to the smallpox that cut 1/2 their forces."

And the reply went along the lines of trashing that liberal smallpox.

(The board will also teach you there are more poker players online than homeschoolers ....)

The best thing we did for financial planning is to pay a financial planner. We were at the stage when we needed to make some decisions. We were lucky that the financial planner was recommended and used by several people we respected including my parents. It cost us a lot, but it will put us on the right path. So times free websites just doesn't cut it. Good luck on your quest.

The best thing we did for financial planning is to pay a financial planner. We were at the stage when we needed to make some decisions. We were lucky that the financial planner was recommended and used by several people we respected including my parents. It cost us a lot, but it will put us on the right path. So times free websites just doesn't cut it. Good luck on your quest.

My goal is more along the lines of feeling the hearbeat of other investors, and learn what I don't know. Every time someone tosses up a term or ratio or whathaveyou I've never heard of, I look it up. I don't want advice, I want to learn.

I have no notion what your family's employment situation is, but more and more sizable companies are getting in classes not just in retirement prep, but early- and mid-career financial matters as well for their employees. The company I worked for called it "Financial Fitness", and offered early career, mid career, and late career 9retirement prep) courses as in-house personnel training. Employees were encouraged to take the courses as part of their career development. You might consider asking, in case your family's employer(s) offer any such class.

They asked in each class I took whether the information I received was timely or if we needed to have heard it earlier. Many attending spoke up to say they wished they had heard it earlier, as part of college. I spoke up to say I thought it needed to be taught in high school, as not everyone goes straight into full-time college. Because of this I plan to teach both of my kids good basic personal and family finances. I'm on the hunt for a course, expecting to find something perhaps at the community college.

I have no notion what your family's employment situation is, but more and more sizable companies are getting in classes not just in retirement prep, but early- and mid-career financial matters as well for their employees. The company I worked for called it "Financial Fitness", and offered early career, mid career, and late career 9retirement prep) courses as in-house personnel training. Employees were encouraged to take the courses as part of their career development. You might consider asking, in case your family's employer(s) offer any such class.

They asked in each class I took whether the information I received was timely or if we needed to have heard it earlier. Many attending spoke up to say they wished they had heard it earlier, as part of college. I spoke up to say I thought it needed to be taught in high school, as not everyone goes straight into full-time college. Because of this I plan to teach both of my kids good basic personal and family finances. I'm on the hunt for a course, expecting to find something perhaps at the community college.

No such luck. The classes are for people who have trouble reading 4 syllable words.

I read that you have to be careful in the CC classes, because some schools hire someone who will work for peanuts because his/her goal is to get new clients.

I started with Personal Finance for Dummys back in the 90s, moved onto his other books (Investing for D, Mutual Funds for D, Personal Finance for Seniors for D) and then moved into Swedroe and others. I didn't have more than 200 dollars in savings until I was 34 (and not a stick of furniture until I was 33 ... slept on the floor, kept my clothes in cardboard boxes), and while I think learning this young is helpful, I couldn't have done much with investing until I was in my 40s.