Menu

Terre Haute or Evansville, IN?

Tiramisu

Dh & I lived in Evansville during one of our 17 transfers and also revisited it 2 years ago when oldest was looking at colleges. We really liked it except there isn't a lot of snow. Oldest attends Rose-Hulman in Terre Haute. Even with it's incredible academic standing, I think it loses a lot of students because of location! After being in/out of a lot of cities/states we've settled north of Indianapolis. Can you give me an idea of what you're looking for? I think the Super Bowl gave a true picture of the people and area. Hoosier Hospitality is alive and well.

Older dd was born in Evansville. Um, let's see, U of E is a good school and has some decent theater. USI is up and coming, and has some decent theater, too. The terrain is hilly, which is news if you're from northern Indiana, which is very flat. We lived on the west side, and parts of the west side of town look like St. Louis Hills -- same style of houses. I've only been back once since moving away about 15 years ago, but dh was over recently.

We moved to Evansville after living in New Hampshire. The contrast in the way people treat outsiders was about 180 degrees.

In contrast to E'ville's hills, this is my favorite Rose-Hulman/Terre Haute poster: https://alumni.rose-hulman.edu/store/view_product.asp?id=148605 Growing up in northern Indiana, we used to make fun of Terre Haute. Larry Bird went to ISU.

As Susann said, what other types of things do you want to know?

Also, Susann, why have I never run into you on the boards before? We have things to discuss!

I would choose Evansville over Terre Haute. But Terre Haute is closer to Indianapolis if you prefer to be nearer a large city. Either way, you will be driving to get to any "big city" things.

This, exactly. Evansville is probably a nicer place to live (disclaimer: I'm not all that familiar with Evansville despite living in Indiana my entire life) but it is further away from other cities. Evansville does boast a nice park system and bike trails. Terre Haute, on the other hand, is more industrial and is known for being, well, smelly! That being said, it is easy to get to Indianapolis from Terre Haute- plenty of shopping, museums, sporting events, etc. Bloomington, a quintessential college town, is also a relatively easy drive from Terre Haute.

Personally, although Evansville is "nicer," I'd probably choose somewhere near Terre Haute based purely upon location since access to both Bloomington and Indianapolis would rank high on my list of priorities. If you don't mind living in a rural area there is plenty of open space surrounding Terre Haute where you could live out in the country but have a short commute into Terre Haute. I probably wouldn't want to live in the actual city of Terre Haute though.

This, exactly. Evansville is probably a nicer place to live (disclaimer: I'm not all that familiar with Evansville despite living in Indiana my entire life) but it is further away from other cities. Evansville does boast a nice park system and bike trails. Terre Haute, on the other hand, is more industrial and is known for being, well, smelly! That being said, it is easy to get to Indianapolis from Terre Haute- plenty of shopping, museums, sporting events, etc. Bloomington, a quintessential college town, is also a relatively easy drive from Terre Haute.

Personally, although Evansville is "nicer," I'd probably choose somewhere near Terre Haute based purely upon location since access to both Bloomington and Indianapolis would rank high on my list of priorities. If you don't mind living in a rural area there is plenty of open space surrounding Terre Haute where you could live out in the country but have a short commute into Terre Haute. I probably wouldn't want to live in the actual city of Terre Haute though.

I agree with most, although I don't know that I would choose Terre Haute.

The roads from Evansville to anywhere else in Indiana really do stink. Plus it's in the central time zone, and most of the rest of Indiana is eastern time zone.

Louisville is a couple of hours east of Evansville, and I know other people went there for various stuff -- we never did, but we had relatives in northern Indiana and in St. Louis, so we tended to head other directions.

Thanks for all the information. Dd is looking at two colleges in Indiana; one is near Terre Haute, the other is UofE. I worry about the possibility of her going far from home but the environment seems like it would suit her. I think we should make a visit, but it would be tough right now.

Evansville has a small regional airport and driving to Louisville isn't difficult, but it is sort of cut off from the rest of the state. I'm not sure if many commerical flights go out of Terre Haute but as others have mentioned, you are an hour from Indianapolis. Indianapolis has an international airport.

UE is located in the center of town in Evansville. St. Mary of the Woods (I'm guessing since you didn't mention RH) is located outside of Terre Haute. So the SM kids come into town but don't actually live in town.

It would be possible to visit both locations in 1 very long day or easily in two- once you make it to Indiana. It is about a 3 hour drive from Evansville to TH, you might have a bit longer to reach SM.

I live near Terre haute so I can give you input on that area :) However am not familiar with Evansville. TravIS out of Evansville is getting better now that parts of I69 are opened!

Rose Hulman is a wonderful college and most of the professors I know homeschool, so very supportive in that area (I do know a couple that don't, but most do). We have an active homeschool community with a lot of support. We do have a lot to offer, but not nearly as much as the Indy area. Parts of Terre Haute smell, but not the areas I'm sure you'd be looking into moving to :)

If you do come to this area send me a message and I can make sure you have plenty of contact information!

What specifically are you wanting/looking for?

Ok I missed that it was for you DD college? I was thinking family transfer, doh!

What is she going to school for? I attended ISU, but if she could go to Rose I would find any way possible to send her. They have the best reputation with the highest job placement that I've heard of. It is a very nice campus.

I'm a UE grad. I loved the college and would re-live my college days again in a heartbeat. :). Very friendly people. It has grown in size since I graduated about 18 years ago. I visited a couple years ago and couldn't believe some of the changes.

I know nothing about Terre Haute, except that some people referred to it as "the arm pit of Indiana." I think it was said in jest by people who lived there or nearby. I have heard great things about Rose Hulman.

Is your DD considering going to Harlaxton as part of her experience? I went twice and would love to go back.

The theatre gives some incredible performances. The physical therapy program is very competitive. Three of my closest friends went through their program and all are doing very well.

We're at UE every week. They have a great Suzuki violin program that is very affordable. Overall, the town is kinda gross. But Newburgh is nice, and some of the surrounding areas. There is a good variety as far as shopping and groceries. It's accessible to KY and really cool natural sites like Shawnee, Cave In Rock, and a bunch of great caves. There are a few homeschooling groups-secular and Christian. They have a small, overpriced zoo and a really good children's museum. The weather is usual for the Midwest-some snow in winter (but not usually much), blistering heat and humidity that will steam you to death for half the year, tornado risks, etc. terre Haute has less as far as windbreaks in the winter and just slightly more snow, usually. Evansville has more hills, so the weather is more temperate.

Terre Haute does smell but has some nice concerts and restaurants.

Personally, I would go with Evansville because of its proximity to so much cool natural sites.

If St. Mary of the Woods is one of the options I have a family member that is a professor for piano, they have a wonderful music program, I also know the professor in charge of the trombones and brass instruments. I would honestly say SMWC is so much better, it is a gorgeous campus with wonderful students and teachers. It is an all female campus except for the male WED students that are around for a day and are mostly married, working adults. They have a very neat sustainable green house set up and do a lot of neat programs. It is further away from Terre Haute and near Illinois and like I said, laid back and beautiful campus. I enjoy how much Terre Haute has to offer with still being close to the city.

If St. Mary of the Woods is one of the options I have a family member that is a professor for piano, they have a wonderful music program, I also know the professor in charge of the trombones and brass instruments. I would honestly say SMWC is so much better, it is a gorgeous campus with wonderful students and teachers. It is an all female campus except for the male WED students that are around for a day and are mostly married, working adults. They have a very neat sustainable green house set up and do a lot of neat programs. It is further away from Terre Haute and near Illinois and like I said, laid back and beautiful campus. I enjoy how much Terre Haute has to offer with still being close to the city.

This information is very, very helpful. Thank you!

I have never lived in Terre Haute, but did live just west of Evansville for 5 years. (In Mt. Vernon....and yes, there is something west of Evansville in Indiana!). I think if you are looking at colleges (U of E and St. Mary's) the biggest question is probably if she wants to be at an all-girls school or co-ed. Both are good schools with many opportunities, but your dd's preference as to co-ed or not is going to make a big difference. When we moved to Mt. Vernon, we were told it was "centrally located" - about 2 - 3 hours from Nashville, TN, St. Louis, Louisville. And 4 to Indy....There is a small airport in Evansville that I loved flying out of - not many choices on where to go by air, but so much easier to get through security, didn't have to be there hours ahead, etc. Terre Haute is close enough to the Indy airport that I imagine the college would have a transport option there at breaks, etc. (Indy's airport is on the west side of the city). HTH's!

Ok I missed that it was for you DD college? I was thinking family transfer, doh!

What is she going to school for? I attended ISU, but if she could go to Rose I would find any way possible to send her. They have the best reputation with the highest job placement that I've heard of. It is a very nice campus.

Outside of reputation, we didn't know much about it before dd start there. It's everything they say it is. DD is in her happy place :laugh:

I grew up in Evansville and I now live in Terre Haute. I haven't been to Evansville since I graduated from high school in 1989, but the north side was a great place to grow up. The town had a rich German heritage and everyone (that I knew, anyway) lived the "work hard, play hard, home is the center of all things" philosophy that was welcoming and secure. I had soccer and softball coaches from U of E throughout middle school and high school, but never attended U of E or USI myself (when I was a kid, USI was Indiana State University-Evansville). Most of my family still lives there, and I've not heard any complaints about the city or its residents. I wish I could tell you more about it.

I have lived in Terre Haute for the past 9 years, and before that lived in one of the surrounding counties since 1991. There are four colleges within a 15-mile radius: Indiana State University, Ivy Tech, Saint-Mary-of-the-Woods, and Rose-Hulman Institute of Technology. I obtained my Bachelors in Psychology in 2008 and a Masters in Clinical Mental Health Counseling in 2010 from ISU. I love the campus, and I'm currently trying to get back there (as a counselor in the Career Center). Many people are employed in some capacity at one of the universities, and at the hospital where I work, everyone seems to be either teaching, guest lecturing, or taking in students for internships.

I have only seen the St. Mary's campus a few times over the years, but it's beautiful! They have a banquet hall that used to be open to the public for Sunday brunch...don't know if they still do that...they also rent it out for holiday parties and such. When my husband was a bricklayer he worked on the buildings that house the elderly nuns of their order that have come there to retire. A neighbor of mine down the street also frequents the campus, and loves to take kids to see the alpacas and sometimes volunteers at the White Violet Center for Eco-Justice. Mother Theodore Guerin was recently made a saint, and the school has increased in popularity since then. I work at a local hospital in the mental health unit, and we have interns from their music therapy program come in every week to have a group with the patients and encourage them to sing and play musical instruments from around the world--they really respond, and the women are confident, respectful, and really know their stuff. Generally, the students of St. Mary's are a confident bunch--you can almost tell a "Woodsie" by the way she carries herself.

RHIT is also a very highly respected school in the community, and if it's an engineering degree your child is after, there's no better place. I don't know a whole lot about the campus, but I have interacted with its students at times and they are very focused, and take their work seriously. They're definitely not your run-of-the-mill, state college kind of student.

I feel like I'm rambling...I hope that helps you. :)