Menu

CC: What do you use for elementary level Bible study?

Sahamamama

I can't say we have a favorite, but we've just started Stick Figuring Through the Bible. We are using their "Birth of Jesus" mini-unit as an intro to the style, but plan on starting OT after Christmas. Anyway, I chose this b/c my kiddos love to draw, need something to keep themselves busy during a lesson, and I wanted more of a Bible survey, not devotional. For devotional, I have Long Story Short, but I haven't really been using it. :p

We tried Bible Study Guide for all Ages, but I just couldn't get into it. I prefer a chronological study & BSGFAA jumps around... but I did like the supplements you use with it (time line cards, Bible books cards, cd songs, etc). And I liked that it works on Bible drill and memory verses with each lesson. It's pretty popular here, from what I gather.

I can't say we have a favorite, but we've just started Stick Figuring Through the Bible. We are using their "Birth of Jesus" mini-unit as an intro to the style, but plan on starting OT after Christmas. Anyway, I chose this b/c my kiddos love to draw, need something to keep themselves busy during a lesson, and I wanted more of a Bible survey, not devotional. For devotional, I have Long Story Short, but I haven't really been using it. :p

We tried Bible Study Guide for all Ages, but I just couldn't get into it. I prefer a chronological study & BSGFAA jumps around... but I did like the supplements you use with it (time line cards, Bible books cards, cd songs, etc). And I liked that it works on Bible drill and memory verses with each lesson. It's pretty popular here, from what I gather.

Thanks, I like these! I think my daughters would enjoy them, too.

Any more ideas?

Wow, you're not kidding! Joseph, Daniel, Jesus' Early Life, Adam, Noah, Job, Review! :blink: That would drive me up a wall.

Well, I'll check THAT one off my list. :rolleyes:

I've SO enjoyed Apologia's Who Is God book and notebook for my two elementary aged children. I have used Kay Arthur's study books for kids in the past, but I thought they were a bit repetitive. My kids are taking to the style of Apologia and learning and being inquisitive. I think it's a gentle but slightly intensive (ha...what an oxymoron). Not too much, but just enough for them to take in. I think it'd be good to use in middle school too. HTH.

I've SO enjoyed Apologia's Who Is God book and notebook for my two elementary aged children. I have used Kay Arthur's study books for kids in the past, but I thought they were a bit repetitive. My kids are taking to the style of Apologia and learning and being inquisitive. I think it's a gentle but slightly intensive (ha...what an oxymoron). Not too much, but just enough for them to take in. I think it'd be good to use in middle school too. HTH.

Hey, I finally made it back here! Just spent the last two hours looking at the What We Believe series. :)

This looks great! It's going on the list. Thanks for the rec.

Reading the Bible -dh read the Children's Bible to our younger kids 2 years ago. We also had a graphic bible (b.f.- before fire) that ds 12 LOVED and memorized huge chuncks of. We've also memorized tons of scripture, including in Latin,we also try to "humanize" Biblical characters by watching good videos about Bible stories- St. John in Exile (fantastic), The Nativity, Ben Hur, etc., MP's Christian Studies- I do love the maps, memory and tech terms, included buy your kiddos might be a bit young for it, scripture set to song (CC had a couple gals who creating CD's on their own). We also talk about the Bible in our home, how it applies to life, etc, music such as Lingua Angelica- and studies of hymn wriers- we did a Fanny Cosby study years ago and we all still fell like she's an auntie, we subscribe to Biblical Archeology Today and dh is on BAR's web-site and other theology/Biblical scholarship sites- the kids are fascinated by it!

Back to add Arch books and Veggie Tales.

Reading the Bible -dh read the Children's Bible to our younger kids 2 years ago. We also had a graphic bible (b.f.- before fire) that ds 12 LOVED and memorized huge chuncks of. We've also memorized tons of scripture, including in Latin,we also try to "humanize" Biblical characters by watching good videos about Bible stories- St. John in Exile (fantastic), The Nativity, Ben Hur, etc., MP's Christian Studies- I do love the maps, memory and tech terms, included buy your kiddos might be a bit young for it, scripture set to song (CC had a couple gals who creating CD's on their own). We also talk about the Bible in our home, how it applies to life, etc, music such as Lingua Angelica- and studies of hymn wriers- we did a Fanny Cosby study years ago and we all still fell like she's an auntie, we subscribe to Biblical Archeology Today and dh is on BAR's web-site and other theology/Biblical scholarship sites- the kids are fascinated by it!

Back to add Arch books and Veggie Tales.

Thanks, Lioness --

We do most of these components: (1) We daily read a passage from our children's Bibles as a group, each person taking a turn with 2-3 verses (someone gave us FOUR identical children's Bibles -- nice!); (2) We read aloud Bible stories from the DK Children's Bible and from Egermeier's Story Bible; (3) We memorize Scripture, especially with Sing the Word & Hide 'Em in Your Heart CDs; (4) We tell Bible stories using felts, costumes (my drama queens), puppets, or sometimes our stuffed animals (LOL -- I'm still picturing Winnie the Pooh with a peg in his head -- he was Sisera, my daughter was the gleeful Jael); (5) We learn hymns (melody/harmony) and will someday add in the background stories (although we recently read a biography of Johann Sebastian Bach and we all bawled at the end when he died -- what a life!); (6) We read and/or listen to Christian biographies, mostly through Your Story Hour CDs (LOVE these); (7) We have started teaching our oldest (2nd grader) to use simple Bible study tools, such as a Bible atlas, a concordance for kids, a handbook, a Bible dictionary, and other stuff we have that's suitable for her level.

We have yet to add in videos or magazines. I like the recommendations! Thanks!

Thumbnail: "Jael" is delightfully hammering a tent peg through the head of a soundly sleeping "Sisera." Kindergarten (2010).

In Kindy I tried a few studies all at once: Studying God's Word A(?) by CLP, Big Truths for Little Kids by Susan Hunt, Leading Little Ones to God, and another study from monergism.com that I can't recall. Leading Little Ones to God is well done. This year we're using MFW CtG with the Children's Story Bible by Catherine Vos and the VP Old Testament Ancient Egypt Cards. It's everything I've wanted my children to learn. I highly recommend that story Bible. I have The Mighty Acts of God but it doesn't hold my girls' attention. It may be better suited for an older child? I've also purchased Little Thoughts for Big Thinkers: The Trinity and have to say the book may be small with a little kid on the front but the text is not the greatest for a young kid. I prefer the classic 3 in 1: A Picture of God. That's just how Bible study has worked for us. Hth

Thanks, Jaderbee!

We did Leading Little Ones when my oldest was in Pre-K (2009-10) and again when my twins were in Pre-K (2011-12). It was good, but we are ready to move to something different.

We are looking forward to using the Veritas Press materials when we study Ancients in 2-3 years. We might even use MFW Creation to Greeks at that time, too. In the meantime, we still want something for Bible study and/or doctrine, but not tied too tightly to our History study, if that makes sense.

I'll look into all the other materials you recommended, in bold above. Thanks for posting!