Menu

Christmas gift for hairdresser, etc???

mlktwins

I'm going to sound cheap, but I have a hair appt on the 21st. I feel like the appt is expensive enough (cut and color) and I tip pretty well. I don't usually go around the holiday -- I usually go right after Thanksgiving. Just didn't make it this year. Is it expected I bring some sort of gift for her? I've have been in the salon (a different one) where customers were dropping off wine, boxes of chocolates, etc. for their hairdressers.

If it is somewhat expected, any suggestions other than what I listed?

Thanks much!

My rule of thumb is just to tip double at the appointment preceding Christmas. I used to be really, really good friends with my manicurist (she came to my wedding and used to set me up with the sons of her older clients), and she used to get all kinds of little gifts from her clients. It was clear, however, that she really preferred, actually needed, the cash. I am not normally a fan of giving cash or gift cards, but when the relationship is primarily a business one that has become more personal, I am perfectly fine with giving my family's Christmas card and cash.

Terri

Cash, please! When I worked in salons, I was not paid well, and I actually paid taxes on my tips (many don't or they underreport) When I worked for an hourly wage- I made minimum. when I woked on commission, I also had many hours that I made zero.

So.... cash, or a general gift card, unless you know she LOVEs a specific store. Any amount of cash- I was happy to get a $5 bill.

The "WORLD'S GREAT EST HAIRDRESSER" mugs? Skip it, unless it also has a $20 in it. :coolgleamA: