Menu

nm

Guest inoubliable

A friend taught me to knit in 2005, and I taught myself to crochet the next year. A knitted blanket will take you an insanely long time; I would start with a scarf for a first project. Before that, I would just knit little practice rectangles. It takes a while to learn, and to get your tension even. Don't despair if it doesn't click right away!!! It took me a few days to even start getting the hang of it, and longer to master techniques.

Knittinghelp.com has great how-to videos, from beginning to not-so-beginning. Ravelry.com has TONS of resources, from patterns to forums to tracking your own yarn and completed projects. You have to join but it's free, and VERY well-organized.

I would ask around for a friend or relative who might help you get started. I'd start with worsted weight yarn (the most common weight) and size 7 or 8 straight needles. (meaning, not circulars with the flexible cord between them, and not double-pointed, which are pointy on both ends) The ONLY things you will need are yarn and a pair of needles, to begin. There are other tools--stitch markers, cable needles, etc--but you don't need those now.

Check out the web sites I listed above; I found them extremely helpful. Happy knitting!

Wow, Santa came early to your house! LOL

There are lots of great videos and tutorials on youtube and knittinghelp.com that might help you get started. But I agree with the above poster-- the best thing is to have someone show you. Yarn stores are great for that and may even have a group that meets regularly. Also, get yourself over to Ravelry and sign up! (It's free) Lots of great pattern ideas there.

Dishcloths make great first projects-- cotton yarn is pleasant to work with, stays put on the needles, and the dishcloths don't take too long to knit up (I was too impatient even for scarves ;))

ETA: Oops, we posted at the same time. Yes, Ravelry is definitely worth it! And yes, needles (at least the wooden ones) are usuallly marked.

Thank you!! I found ravelry.com while I was googling but I hesitated in creating an account with them since I just wasn't sure what they were about. I'll go do that now. Do the needles have their size stamped on them? I'm hoping to pick some up at a thrift store and it would be helpful if they said the size on them already. If I can't find them there, I'm going to try to use a 40% off coupon at Hobby Lobby to get some. Is there a good brand that I should look into?

There are fancy schmancy more expensive wooden (and other types) of knitting needles, but most of mine are Clover I think, and work just fine. They are bamboo. Yes, the size is usually stamped on the end of the needle or on the side.

I would look at the skeins with the paper and find out what kind you have. Main kinds are baby or 4 ply, dk or sports weight, aran or worsted weight, chunky. That will help with what size needles are best.

Basically baby is a 3, dk a 5, aran a 7, and chunky 9. That is super basic but maybe helpful. Other sizes depend on what you are doing and how you knit. Straight needles are easiest and the end should say. If it has an mm after number it is the european sizing and different. Should be able to convert online. The basic rule is the thicker the yarn the thicker the needles.

Have fun. I love free yarn.

Kids Knitting by Melanie Falick is a good how-to guide. As to what needles to look for check your yarn label first--it should give a suggested needle size. If it doesn't have a label you can try the wraps-per-inch method to figure out what size needle to try.

It would be best to start with knitting rectangles as a pp suggested so you can get comfortable with knitting and purling, casting on and off. The decide which type of project to make.

Good luck! Youtube is your friend. So is knittinghelp.com. And the Lion Brand website has a lot of helps too. Or post questions here and we'll do our best to help.

I would consider crochet instead of knitting. I can do both, but crochet is more easily corrected if you have to rip some out. You only have to have one loop on the hook, instead of with knitting you carry the whole lenth at one time on the needles.

Just a thought.

I would consider crochet instead of knitting. I can do both, but crochet is more easily corrected if you have to rip some out. You only have to have one loop on the hook, instead of with knitting you carry the whole lenth at one time on the needles.

Just a thought.

Oops...somehow my response got cut into two posts. See post below.

It depends. If I drop a stitch while knitting, I can go back and correct it without taking any stitches off my needles, even if it is a few rows back. With crochet I have to rip back to wherever the mistake is.

OP, check out local yarn stores for knitting/crochet groups that might meet at the store. Or, if they don't have one, they may have classes or just a helpful employee.