Menu

Best place to find College Textbooks?

lovinmomma

Amazon. I have saved SO MUCH MONEY through amazon. You have to dig sometimes because occasionally books are listed under a different edition when they are the same (eg, international, or for a specific college).

Also, if your class specifies a brand-new edition, ask the teacher if it will be necessary to buy the new edition; it usually is not. For mathematics courses, you may need the new edition to have the correct problems, but that is not always the case.

And finally, right now there is a maximum amount of people selling books from this semester, so if your school has a for sale board, go look at it!

I like textbooks.com -- -- I have purchased 10-15 books from them last year (middle school texts, not college, but the same vendors sell both). The site has both current and older editions. Shipping has always been super fast and books have always been in better condition than what I expected. One thing I like about textbooks.com is that the site is very clear about editions -- it's easier (IMO) to find specific editions accurately labelled than it is on Amazon.

I have found that the end of the academic year (June) is a good time to buy -- lots of offerings + competitive prices. Later in the summer, the selection thins out. At least that has been my experience.

I tend to look up the books on Dealoz.com as they show who is offering what and at what price. However, the last time I looked Half.com wasn't on there (they used to be - not sure why it changed), so now I check both Dealoz (for all the other site comparisons) and Half.com.

Using an older edition has worked for some of the classes my guys have. It's worth it to ask the prof if it can work as it truly is the biggest savings (if possible). MY favorite professor to date has been one who was using the 5th edition of Intro to Theater when the full price edition was the 8th (and there weren't that many years of difference between the two). We were able to get the 5th edition in great condition for $1 + postage. When one thinks about it, how much can the "Intro" to Theater change?