Menu

Should I Take This Exercise Class?

Jean in Newcastle

Current Exercise Routine: Monday - 1 hour kickboxing "boot camp" (ie. a mix of kickboxing and boot camp type exercises); Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday and Saturday - 1 hour Zumba. (I work out really hard in Zumba and have sweat pouring off of me. I say this because it is certainly possible to not move much in there.)

Current Health - fibromyalgia - daily achiness with occasional flares. Overweight - and despite all the exercise and food tracking on Sparkspeople I am not losing weight (metabolic syndrome).

I have two trainer friends who are pressuring me (nicely) to do strength training one night a week for an hour. I'm scared to death of the idea. But I'm not sure if I should be. I talked to my chiropractor today and he said that as long as I didn't go over 3 pound weights I'd "probably" be ok. But my arms ache just when I use them with no weight in Zumba and in the boxing part of kickboxing. My friends think that the strength training will help strengthen them so that won't happen. They also say that it will help me lose weight. I'm really prone to stuff like tendonitis and costochonritis (inflammation of the cartilage in the chest).

What do you think? Should I take a strength training class or should I stick to Zumba?

I have no advice, just wanted to let you know I am in a similar quandry. About ten years ago (maybe more), one doctor told me I had fibro. He had no real advice except to walk enthusiastically for several miles per day. I do, but can't say it's changed any symptoms. We moved, I changed physicians, and not one (except the original) has been willing to verify a fibro diagnosis. I have many symptoms, as well as some, but not all, of the symptoms of Meniere's. I also have chronic, neverending shoulder/neck muscle spasms. All that is to say, one doctor advises me to weight train, but another suggests doing nothing that will aggravate the shoulders/neck (which would be, um, pretty much everything). I've done PT which definitely did aggravate the spasms, but haven't yet dared the weights. I'll be watching with interest to see what advice you receive. I didn't mean to hijack...just to commisserate. :grouphug: to you; I know from reading that you have gone through/are going through so much with pain, etc.

I think your answer depends on what you wish to get out of the experience.

I agree with what your trainers are saying, and think weights are a great way to jumpstart weight loss and strengthen your body.

But I'd want you to lose 2-3 of the zumba classes, with or without the weights class. I think your body needs more rest between workouts.

I think your answer depends on what you wish to get out of the experience.

I agree with what your trainers are saying, and think weights are a great way to jumpstart weight loss and strengthen your body.

But I'd want you to lose 2-3 of the zumba classes, with or without the weights class. I think your body needs more rest between workouts.

I would agree with that.

You may see some weight loss simply because you change up the way you're moving your body. There would definitely be toning.

I would also encourage you to use lighter weights. Get a set of 1 or 2# to bring with you, if the lightest ones there are 3# (which is the case for us). And do not push yourself to do every rep. Just like Zumba, it's easy to get caught up in the class and go for doing everything. You'll want to see how you feel afterward, to gauge how much you want to push yourself.

Also, know that you're going to feel it. Even when I was teaching strength training 4x/week, I'd feel it when I took someone else's class, or rolled out a new routine. A colleague who's been teaching for almost 30 years says the same.

I'm saying all this so you won't feel discouraged, not because I want to warn you off. People new to classes feel like they should be able to walk through the door and do everything. No one expects that. But you should expect to feel it for a couple days after.

I am curious, do your arms hurt during class or after? Is a three pound weight heavy for you?

I guess my thoughts are that a three pound weight isn't heavy enough to build strength unless your strength levels are very low. I think initially with a very low weight you may gain a little but you will have to up the weight as time goes on to make it matter. You will also need to change up your routine periodically. The people that are advising you, are they personal trainers or fitness instructors? Are they going to help you in the weight room?

As far as taking so many Zumba classes goes - on one hand, especially if you typically don't enjoy exercise, do what you love because it gets you to exercise and makes you feel wonderful - on the other hand, our bodies adapt to what we do and while you are working very hard in Zumba, I am sure working progressively harder over time, it isn't as big a stress on your body (which is what you want to increase your fitness) as something new/different would be. Basically, there is a big benefit to switching up your routines about every two weeks but if that is not possible then do what you love.

You only have one body Jean, take care of it and listen to it. I don't care how much you weigh, with a workout schedule like that you are one fit mama.

I am curious, do your arms hurt during class or after? Is a three pound weight heavy for you?

I guess my thoughts are that a three pound weight isn't heavy enough to build strength unless your strength levels are very low. I think initially with a very low weight you may gain a little but you will have to up the weight as time goes on to make it matter. You will also need to change up your routine periodically. The people that are advising you, are they personal trainers or fitness instructors? Are they going to help you in the weight room?

As far as taking so many Zumba classes goes - on one hand, especially if you typically don't enjoy exercise, do what you love because it gets you to exercise and makes you feel wonderful - on the other hand, our bodies adapt to what we do and while you are working very hard in Zumba, I am sure working progressively harder over time, it isn't as big a stress on your body (which is what you want to increase your fitness) as something new/different would be. Basically, there is a big benefit to switching up your routines about every two weeks but if that is not possible then do what you love.

You only have one body Jean, take care of it and listen to it. I don't care how much you weigh, with a workout schedule like that you are one fit mama.

My arms hurt during and after class. Some routines (or songs in Zumba) which are more arm intensive make them just burn. My arms are my weakest part of my body and they are very weak. When I started this exercise journey a little more than 3 years ago, I was a semi-invalid and spent 80% of my day and 100% of my nights in my armchair. If I went grocery shopping it would take me 3 days to recover from bringing the bags of groceries in. I'm so much farther than that now but my arms are still achy every single day.

The friends who are advising me are fitness instructors. Both of them teach strength classes as well as other classes. (One was my kickboxing instructor and one does Zumba.) They are very big on form but they show the whole class, not necessarily each person because the classes are pretty large. They really care about me and check in regularly to see how I'm doing.

I love Zumba. It truly is my happy place. I started out 3 years ago, mostly walking in place for many of the songs because I couldn't do many of the moves. Now I'm doing 90% of the songs (toward the end of the hour I'm pooped) and am now doing moves that I used to have to modify. I understand about your body getting used to certain moves but I thought that wouldn't apply to Zumba because we do different songs in a different line-up each time? (There is some repetition of songs but we don't do the exact same routine for every hour.) On very bad pain days I've had to leave Zumba because tears have started to run down my face because of the pain. On very good pain days the joy of dancing with friends makes the pain fade into the background.

Listening to my body is very hard. The reason I was a semi-invalid 3 years ago was because I "listened to my body" and stopped moving because it hurt to move. That made my body start to solidify, and for it to get even more painful to move etc. until there I was - living in an armchair. I've had fibro for over 20 years now so I've had time to try different approaches - and this is where I am now. I try to ignore my body and act "normal" despite the pain because nothing is going to take the pain away and I'm not going to waste any more of my life. (I have lower pain days and higher pain days but I always have some kind of "white noise" of pain there.) It hurts to push my body but I don't know how else to undo what those years of sitting did to my bones and muscles. But what's esp. hard is finding good medical or fitness advice because everyone's advice is for someone who has a "normal" body. My chiropractor has actually been my best resource because he's worked on putting me back together for over 10 years and knows how inflamed and immobile my body can get. But - some of this is out of his expertise so he can only help so much.

I'm not sure if I'm a fit mama, but I am a determined one. My mom always said that I was as "stubborn as a donkey" and I suppose that has been a blessing in this situation. My dh tells me that I should have more rest days. Right now I have Wed. and Sunday off. I don't know. I love the routine of going and my dd loves going too and would hate it if I took more days off. I was hoping that with time my body would get used to moving that much and wouldn't need as much rest? I do have some 1 pound weights at home. That's a good idea to take it with me as MyCrazyHouse recommended.

I think it would be good to try it, especially with your friends teaching it so they can help you go at a pace (and weight) that is appropriate for you. I would sub it for one of your Zumba days, though, not do it in addition. And I agree with pp, take 1 and 2# weights to start with, as most gyms and studios don't have weights that light.

I'm kind of in the same boat as you. The past year I've been doing Zumba and pilates to help ease my pain and get somewhat physically fit.

It's been suggested to me several times to try light weights, but like you, my arms just ache and ache after and during.

Many years ago, pre-marriage and babies, I taught yoga. Practiced it since I was young. Now I cannot under any circumstances even take a yoga class. My arms just can't do it. During the songs in Zumba that focus on arms I stand in the back and walk in place. I have slowly reached a point where I can at least stay in a plank position for 30 seconds, but that's all I've been able to accomplish so far.

It's not that I don't have strength, it just hurts so much. I've been to PT and they insist that I just need to gain more strength due to weakness. I saw a personal trainer and he insisted that I had the strength but was afraid to use it. I can't get them to understand that it just hurts badly.

Whether strength training is the right thing to do or not is something I'm not sure about. My gut instinct is to not do it, but that just could be because I'm scared of dealing with a flare-up or making things worse. I have read that doing strength training is essential to losing weight though. More muscle mass increases your resting metabolism.

If you decide to go for it, please post back on how it goes for you!

Sleepymommy, I am so impressed that you can do a plank! I have tried and that is when I get hurt. I've had people try to get to take yoga too (different people than the ones trying to get me to do strength training) I have the same fear as you do - of being in terrible pain. I'm still on the fence. Part of my decision will depend on whether I can find my 1 pound weights.

Jean and Sleepymommy,

I can't imagine living with pain every day and if I did I can't imagine having the strength to exercise let alone do every day tasks. I am so proud of the both of you for trying to increase your fitness levels despite the pain, you two are pretty awesome in my book. I wish the medical community had more answers for people with chronic pain and most importantly I wish they had a way to provide you with relief.

Jean, I say try the class and if you like it great, if you hate it or if it provides you with an increase in your pain levels then forget about it. Strength is important but your sanity and your ability to live as comfortably as possible is more important IMO.

As far as increases in muscle mass increasing your metabolism and therefore burning more calories throughout the day I just read convincing evidence that it is a myth in the book Ultimate Fitness. Basically it said you would have to gain more muscle than humanly possible for it to make a difference. I would provide you with a quote but I am already in bed and the book is downstairs, if you want me to I can look it up tomorrow.

Sleepymommy, I am so impressed that you can do a plank! I have tried and that is when I get hurt. I've had people try to get to take yoga too (different people than the ones trying to get me to do strength training) I have the same fear as you do - of being in terrible pain. I'm still on the fence. Part of my decision will depend on whether I can find my 1 pound weights.

I think this is a good decision. As I said on another thread, I am the trainer at my facility who is assigned the "medically complex" clients because I'm comfortable in that area.

Listening to your body IS important. The thing is, you are the only one who can realistically decide whether you're traveling outside of your "normal" pain zone because of a routine. (It makes me sad to type that. No one should live in a "normal pain" zone. :( ) You will have a different scale of difficulty than someone else, depending on what sort of day you're having, and you will most definitely have a longer, and more pronounced, recovery period.

I regularly encourage clients with pain syndromes to explore gentle yoga. I also make sure that they understand that all yoga classes are not gentle. Even those billed simply as "yoga" can be very athletic and not right for someone with pain, flexibility or balance issues, etc. OTOH, we have a just plain yoga class that is very gentle, so further investigation is definitely necessary, as is vetting the instructor directly for their ability/willingness to provide modifications. (as is true in any class)

Don't worry about the weight. Many of the best strength training exercises are body weight based, and strength training classes focus on tiring muscles through repetition, not building them with heavy weight (a whole different paradigm than lifting). Your arms are the weakest part of your body. That is perfectly normal. Women tend to (relative for our size) have much stronger legs than men, but we are not known for our upper body strength. As a point of reference, I max out at 200 lbs (plus my own body weight, so somewhere in the neighborhood of 350 total) for squats (because I need to get a weight belt to stabilize my back), but I can. not. break 100 on the bench. And it drives me CRAZY. But I can also get to the point of complete jelly legs and the edge of throwing up from crazy body weight squats. (not that I recommend anyone take my personal, somewhat loony, approach. just sayin')

I think, ultimately, you will be just fine. You ARE in tune with your body, you are willing to challenge yourself, you are willing to back off when you get to the over-challenged place, and you have instructors who are there to lead and support you. cheerleader.gif

Listening to your body IS important. The thing is, you are the only one who can realistically decide whether you're traveling outside of your "normal" pain zone because of a routine. (It makes me sad to type that. No one should live in a "normal pain" zone. :( ) You will have a different scale of difficulty than someone else, depending on what sort of day you're having, and you will most definitely have a longer, and more pronounced, recovery period.

I regularly encourage clients with pain syndromes to explore gentle yoga. I also make sure that they understand that all yoga classes are not gentle. Even those billed simply as "yoga" can be very athletic and not right for someone with pain, flexibility or balance issues, etc. OTOH, we have a just plain yoga class that is very gentle, so further investigation is definitely necessary, as is vetting the instructor directly for their ability/willingness to provide modifications. (as is true in any class)

I think, ultimately, you will be just fine. You ARE in tune with your body, you are willing to challenge yourself, you are willing to back off when you get to the over-challenged place, and you have instructors who are there to lead and support you. cheerleader.gif

Thank you so much. I didn't do the strength class last night. I never did find my weights and I just wasn't feeling comfortable with it. Part of that is because I'm in the middle of a flare right now anyway and am a bit out side of my normal pain zone to begin with (and yes, that describes it perfectly).

Part of the reason I've been resistant to yoga is because I can't even do the stretching that we do in regular classes because my body is so tight. When I'm really bad, I can't even touch my toes and am instead straining to touch my knees! I guess I have this vision of me sitting around in yoga class not being able to do any of the moves.

Ah, but that is the beauty of yoga. You do not push stretches beyond the sticking point. And there are props to fill the gap between you and what you're reaching for (like the floor).

In our gentle yoga classes, the majority of the poses are seated. I've subbed a couple of times and there was one regular in there who has some mobility issues so she uses a folding chair (along with the mat, blanket, blocks, wedges, etc. She sits in the chair for seated poses, then uses it to get down on the floor, as a prop to lean on for down dog and such (she puts her arms on the seat)... She is stretching within *her* range of motion.

If your range of motion only takes you to hands on knees in a forward bend, then that's your stretch point. The goal at the end of class is to stretch the muscles you've used. There's nothing inherently beneficial in touching the floor; you just want to stretch your hamstrings.

I'm sort of glad you couldn't find your weights for this class. Better you should find them and try the class next week when you're at a more reasonable level than get caught up in pushing to explore something new and jump in when your body just isn't in a place to do that. Sometimes, those things happen because we're missing the message that the timing just isn't right. ;)