Menu

What is Your Favorite Christmas Cookie Recipe?

TCoppock

The all-time favorite cookie here are these gingerbread men:

http://www.bettycrocker.com/recipes/gingerbread-cookies/92eccbd8-33d2-4f05-a09e-ea6722d67786

My personal favorites are these bars (but I make them without the nuts)

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/magic-cookie-bars-ii/detail.aspx?src=lp4163_l3&adkeyvalues=holiday,cookiecountdown

And this recipe is one that friend makes - http://allrecipes.com/recipe/christmas-casserole-cookies-i/detail.aspx

I don't have a favorite Christmas cookie (although lemon cookies and chocolate dipped cardamom shortbread are up there), but we have 2 kinds of candy we can't live without at the holidays.

Something like a buckeye (chocolate dipped peanut butter date candy)

Almond Roca

Everyone makes the peanut butter one, and my brother specializes in the roca. Both lead to obsessive eating.

I love spritz cookies. My mother use to make them for us. I've been searching for a metal spritzer without luck. A bit OT but if anyone know where I can find a nice one I would be so grateful.

Mirro still makes the metal ones; at least they did several years ago. They aren't particularly nice, but it looks exactly like what my grandma had. They usually have them at the big box stores. I have a plastic pampered chef one that works great too; I have probably had it for ten years. Granted, I only use it for Cbristmas and Easter.

Shortbreads. This is very similar to the recipe I use (a secret I am reluctantly sworn not to divulge), though I don't use this presentation, preferring medallions a bit less than an 1.5 inches in diameter.

This is one of my favorites:

Chocolate Crinkle Cookies

1/2

cup vegetable oil

oz unsweetened baking chocolate, melted, cooled

cups granulated sugar

teaspoons vanilla

eggs

cups all-purpose flour

teaspoons baking powder

1/2

teaspoon salt

1/2

cup powdered sugar

In large bowl, mix oil, chocolate, granulated sugar and vanilla. Stir in eggs, one at a time. Stir in flour, baking powder and salt. Cover; refrigerate at least 3 hours.

Heat oven to 350°F. Grease cookie sheet with shortening or cooking spray.

Drop dough by teaspoonfuls into powdered sugar; roll around to coat and shape into balls. Place about 2 inches apart on cookie sheets.

Bake 10 to 12 minutes or until almost no imprint remains when touched lightly in center. Immediately remove from cookie sheets to cooling racks.

Wow that c/p horribly. Here is a link:

http://www.bettycrocker.com/recipes/chocolate-crinkles/941e22b3-9a48-4fb1-bdb0-27479e76d484#?st=6&term=chocolate crinkle cookies&ps=9&pi=9#?st=6&term=chocolate crinkle cookies&ps=9&pi=9

I make cookies for family every year. At thanksgiving I take their top 3 favorites and make my list for the year from that plus a few new ones I want to try.My most requested cookie is Chocolate Covered Cornflakes. Doesn't sound that fascinating but it's loved by all, old and young alike. They are kind of like the chocolate covered chinese noodles except no one around here likes chinese noodles.

Get a block of chocolate (make sure it's real chocolate and not the yucky almond bark stuff), melt it and stir in cornflakes until you can't anymore. Flakes should probably be about 3/4 coated with chocolate. Spoon blobs onto wax paper and store in a cool place until hardened. My dad likes salted mixed nuts added to his and everyone else likes theirs plain.

I do love these but it amazes me that my family waits for me to make these for them every year because even the non-bakers among them could make these.

I have others that are popular too but I don't have time to find a link to a similar recipe right now.