Menu

beginning readers with NO or little pictures

mom24cuties

Does anyone know of any beginner readers like I see sam or bob books but without the pictures or very little pictures. My 5 year old is getting very distracted with all the pictures and doesn't want to read the book because he is paying more attention to the pictures. I am almost to the point of making my own readers with just words so he can focus on just the words.

TIA

I used to play a little game with my kids when they were beginning readers. I would write very silly sentences with words they could decode--like: "The fish ate the door"--if the child read the sentence, then I would draw the silly picture that went with it as a reward.

McGuffey's are great but the 1st book still has a lot of pictures.

http://books.google.com/books?id=5QYCAAAAYAAJ&printsec=frontcover&dq=THe+Original+Mcguffey's+Pictorial+Eclectic+Primer&hl=en&sa=X&ei=lgy9UK-lD6-60QGy7oCYCw&ved=0CD8Q6AEwAA#v=onepage&q&f=false

Maybe you could just type and print stories from first readers you think he'd be interested in.

Well, it does have SOME pictures, but if you don't mind old-fashioned, perhaps the Amish Pathway Readers? As I recall, there ARE pictures, but one only per page, and they are line drawings, not color. (sample page, here)

Another option: use what you have and like, but cover the pictures with post-it notes, and once the student reads the page, gets to "peek", or reveal the picture. Sort-of like an "open-the-door type of Advent calendar. ;)

Best of luck! Warmly, Lori D.

The "I Can Read It" series has a higher text to picture ratio than Bob and Sam, et. al. They are a great deal when you consider that one book ($10 each, but eligible for 4 for 3) contains 40-45 stories, each story having about as much text as ONE Bob book.

http://www.amazon.com/Can-Read-It-Book/dp/1887840494/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1354583721&sr=8-1&keywords=i+can+read+it+book+1