Menu

Can I somehow use an iPhone as a dumb phone?

2squared

I don't think so but I may be wrong. AT&T requires a data plan if you have an iPhone, period. You might be able to work around it by buying the iPhone outright rather than at the subsidized price with a contract, but I'd believe when you take it in to activate it the workers will try everything to get you a data plan because it's their job.

Is it possible to use an iPhone as a dumb phone? Our only cell provider in this area is Verizon. If it is possible, how would I go about doing it or learning how do it?

I don't own an iPhone now, and I have a dumb phone plan (but no contract) with Verizon.

Thanks!

I don't think you can use a smartphone as just a phone. I think all the phone companies require you to have a data plan just to have the thing useable.

No, you can't. I had an IPhone and I dropped in the toilet. Then I got a plain non-smart phone with no data plan to save money on my plan since my phone was broke anyway. I hated my dumb phone and bought a used IPhone since my DSD told me I could use my Sim card in it and use it as a dumb phone. It worked for a while. Then one day I got a text message from ATT saying "We see you are enjoying your IPhone, so we added a data package to your plan". Ugh-busted!

I have n iPhone with Verizon. You do have to buy the data plan, which for me was only $10 a month. We have texting blocked by Verizon. I use very little data, and even my cell phone is rarely used so it doesn't cost that much.

With an iPhone, you have to buy the data plan.

But you can turn off internet, youtube, iTunes and the whole mess if you need to.

We are NOT happy with our son's having an iPhone because Apple is adamantly opposed to parental control. We will be getting him a Window 8 phone which allows us to set times he can and cannot be on the phone, which will allow us to open up some of these things we have shut down (but paid for) for the past 1.8 years. Scowl.

Here are the ways to set up parental controls on an iPhone - http://support.apple.com/kb/ht4213

Is it possible to use an iPhone as a dumb phone? Our only cell provider in this area is Verizon. If it is possible, how would I go about doing it or learning how do it?

I don't own an iPhone now, and I have a dumb phone plan (but no contract) with Verizon.

Thanks!

I don't get it. Why would you want to buy an iphone and just use it strictly as a phone? There are plenty of cheap (or even free with contract) phones for that.

I don't get it. Why would you want to buy an iphone and just use it strictly as a phone? There are plenty of cheap (or even free with contract) phones for that.

I have a cheap dumb phone already. The price is right, particularly since my phone needs are very limited.

I would prefer to have an iPod Touch that I can use to make phone calls. That way I get the cool features - apps, camera, texting - without the expensive data plan. I don't want to search the internet when I'm not home. I do want, however, to have access to my electronic calendar, grocery lists, to-dos, etc. I would like to compose emails while I am out & about, but I don't have a need to send them immediately. I could buy an iPod Touch for this, but then I would be carrying two devices instead of one. I was just hoping for the best of both worlds.

So, I guess I will continue to be without a smart phone. It's a luxury, and while I want one, I am not willing to pay Verizon's data fees.

I have a cheap dumb phone already. The price is right, particularly since my phone needs are very limited.

I would prefer to have an iPod Touch that I can use to make phone calls. That way I get the cool features - apps, camera, texting - without the expensive data plan. I don't want to search the internet when I'm not home. I do want, however, to have access to my electronic calendar, grocery lists, to-dos, etc. I would like to compose emails while I am out & about, but I don't have a need to send them immediately. I could buy an iPod Touch for this, but then I would be carrying two devices instead of one. I was just hoping for the best of both worlds.

So, I guess I will continue to be without a smart phone. It's a luxury, and while I want one, I am not willing to pay Verizon's data fees.

Ah, I see. You can get a used iPhone 3GS for about $100 and use it as an iPod touch without putting in a sim card or activating a data plan. You would have to carry two devices, but it's a cheaper option than buying the iPod touch.

There is an app called Textplus that allows you to make calls and text without any plan, but only covered by wi-fi. My dh's tablet has this because he texts on it sometimes and we've confirmed that it does work as a phone (a giant 7" phone :laugh: , and he laughed at my Galaxy Note). The phone bit is free if calling other devices with the same app, otherwise it's something like $1 for 40 minutes and $20 for 1,000. We're seriously considering something like this when our contracts run out since I don't usually make calls when I'm out, but if I did, it would be easy to find a hotspot. I'm not sure if you can carry your current number over, but I know you can use the same number on numerous devices.