Menu

propane vs. natural gas most expensive?

Jeannie in NJ

If I had the opportunity to go with natural gas I'd go with that. Usually it is metered and you don't have to worry about getting the tank filled.

Propane requires a huge tank in your yard so that is another con. Sometimes companies won't bring less than 100 gallons at a time so you have to come up with hundreds of dollars at one time to have it filled.

Propane Gas prices seemed to fluctuate quite wildly. We were on propane until May last year when we moved.

We ran the dryer, oven & stovetop as well as central heat on propane, however I have to say most of the heating was

done by an excellent woodstove (Jotul) and we used most of the propane for cooking.

We had a leak in the tank but the propane company can usually help you with that. Having propane in this area meant that we were off the beaten path and that also meant that the drivers did not always make it out to our place, especially in winter during ice and snow.

If you have a choice of going with natural gas, I think it's just plain easier even though I don't know if it is cheaper.

In our area it is much cheaper to have Natural Gas than propane. You could always ask for heating bills for places you are considering.

Right now our budget amount for natural gas is $25/month. Last year it was $78 so reality is that is it likelyabout $50-60/month as we had a mild winter last year. That is for a 1900 sq ft house plus finished basement for heat, hot water, and gas stove.

This year Natural Gas is definitely cheaper. Other years, it could be the other way around.

We have propane because we are in an area where you can't get anything else. We have two tanks on the side of our house, they aren't that big (about 5 feet high and 2 feet in diameter) and we are on automatic delivery and a monthly payment plan. The payment plan gives us a guaranteed rate (won't go up, could go down) and the automatic delivery usually keeps us from running out. We've never had a problem getting a very quick delivery on the rare occasions we have run out. Our payment is currently around $250 a month, we get a fill-up monthly from November through April/May, and then every two months from May/June through October. Our hot water, heat and stove are propane, we have a very small but very drafty house.