Menu

Primary Phonics (EPS) -- does anyone use this?

alisoncooks

I feel like I have used, purchased & returned, or extensively researched *every* phonics program on the market...

So how is it that Primary Phonics just recently popped up on my radar? Somehow I've missed it on my many CBD.com searches (and it doesn't show up on any of the phonics threads here that I can find -- well, it's mentioned on 1 thread as having good readers, I think).

Is the program just that bad?

(The program, in fact, looks pretty good! Apparently, it's from the same company that does ETC? But it corresponds with a series of readers and optional comprehension workbooks).

I'll confess, we've been in a rut lately. R&S Phonics worked fabulously well for us for a while, but since we weren't using the accompanying reading portion, we were lacking something. I also have OPGTR, but just can't get into the groove with it. (I have the pdf & plan on using it to make sure we cover all our bases....)

Primary Phonics looks like what we've been looking for (and I confess, I took advantage of the CBD free shipping code and ordered the first 3 levels). Anyone else use this program? Why isn't it ever mentioned here? :confused:

While I like most of EPS's phonics products, I did notice that it mentioned sight words in this one, which they usually do not stress in their programs.

I would make sure I teach any sight words phonetically, it only takes a few minutes more and can avoid a lot of problems later on:

http://www.thephonic...sightwords.html

(I haven't seen the program so I don't know how many sight words they teach or how they teach them.)

• 1 month later...

I know this is an old thread :) but I just wanted to say that I use, and love, Primary Phonics. They are very similar to the Explode the Code series by the same publisher, but more writing is required. I think that is likely one reason they are less popular. I actually like the writing aspect of them, though. With my dd we went straight through workbooks 1 and 2. She took off reading, and I didn't make her continue the workbooks. With ds I plan to go through workbook 6, but we are not doing every single page. He is reading well, and picks up the concepts quickly. Once he is able to read through the corresponding reader comfortably, I move on to the next section. There is plenty of review to reinforce what is being learned, but, if your child doesn't need all of the review, it is also easy to move on. The workbooks are very affordable. The readers start off slightly shorter, but the majority of them are 16 pages with one to three sentences on each page. We generally read to page 8 the first day and finish the reader the next day, but I'm moving towards having him complete the book in one sitting.

We use them and have used ETC in the past. I much prefer these over ETC. ETC was just so, I can't even think, just so um, simple, maybe. I don't see how those silly pictures, and sometimes obscure, connect with reading. It's been a about 4 years since I've used ETC, so can't remember exactly what I hated about it, but do remember trying it twice, and hating it both times.

Primary Phonics doesn't do sight words, except for those few that someone listed. There's not alot of writing at all. Mostly writing the words that are being practiced in reading, which we simply overcome by drawing lines from the word to the picture, instead of writing it. The readers map up nicely with the workbook.