Menu

I know, I know...switching math curriculum

speedmom4

I know common wisdom is to not switch math programs but I would like to know what others would do in my situation.

I have two boys. They are 10 and 13. Currently they are both doing TT. The 10 year-old is doing grade 6 and the 13 year-old is doing grade 7. My ten year-old is doing ok. He understands concepts very easily but is still struggling with math memorization of his facts. He uses mostly skip counting for multiplication and division. He gets frustrated at times because he makes simple mistakes because he doesn't have those facts memorized. But like I said the concepts are very easy for him to understand and he seems to be able to figure out new ways to solve problems. He seems just understands math quite well.

My older ds is the exact opposite. He has all his facts memorized but struggles to think out of the box. If a math problem has much variation he doesn't understand how to solve it. He has brain damage from a stoke at birth but is very smart. I think many of his issues stem from not enough repetition in TT.

My thoughts are to switch them both to CLE. I do not like curriculum hopping and only do it after much thought and research. My boys have been doing CLE for English for years and they do really well with their style. I feel like they explain things quite well and give ample opportunities to apply what was taught. I also feel that with CLE they will keep their work more organized. Currently they are using graph paper for TT but there is not much organization in how they write their problems down. I also like that CLE schedules flash card work and speed drills. That will help younger son SO much.

The downside is that they will both have to go back into CLE grade 4. They will not be happy with that but after looking at the diagnostic test I believe that is where they should be. My thoughts were that we would skip anything that they have mastered in TT and work through the summer to get back on grade level. I think if we work hard we should be ok by next year.

I've looked for supplements but honestly I want something that is a little more comprehensive for their needs and we can add in something like Singapore CWP later.

What do you think? Would you switch if you were in my shoes?

Thanks,

Elise in NC

I don't think this qualifies as curriculum hopping. That is when you jump around and don't stick with something even long enough to figure out if it is decent or not. Have you looked at Math Mammoth? It is inexpensive, and you could use it along side TT or on it's own. The good thing is it is mastery based. So if they know something, skip it. You can work in your own review by doing the cummulative reviews. It really is a solid program. There are enough problems and different approaches to the same topic that it allows for some flexibility. What I did to move through some things quicker was combine years. DS needed to move faster so I would take say fractions, and look at year 4 and 5 at the same time and mesh the two. Not saying that would be the best for you, just giving an idea about the flexibility. One year builds on the next, so you really can use what parts of what year you need.

I hope this makes sense. I really cannot comment on CLE math because I am not familiar with that.

I don't think this qualifies as curriculum hopping. That is when you jump around and don't stick with something even long enough to figure out if it is decent or not. Have you looked at Math Mammoth? It is inexpensive, and you could use it along side TT or on it's own. The good thing is it is mastery based. So if they know something, skip it. You can work in your own review by doing the cummulative reviews. It really is a solid program. There are enough problems and different approaches to the same topic that it allows for some flexibility. What I did to move through some things quicker was combine years. DS needed to move faster so I would take say fractions, and look at year 4 and 5 at the same time and mesh the two. Not saying that would be the best for you, just giving an idea about the flexibility. One year builds on the next, so you really can use what parts of what year you need.

I hope this makes sense. I really cannot comment on CLE math because I am not familiar with that.

Thank you!

I have looked at MM but found it a bit confusing. I couldn't figure out if I should buy a grade level or topic. I also felt it wouldn't solve my issues with TT at this point.

Elise in NC

CLE math is excellent, IMO, and way beyond TT (IME). Could you get the first LU and take your boys through that, just assigning extra work where needed?

That is helpful. I have already purchased CLE math grades 4 and 5. Hopefully it will be here by next week. I am anticipating that the boys will have to do lessons in most of the light units. Hopefully we will be able to skip some lessons and make up some ground.

Thank you,

Elise in NC

I agree with lisamarie — what you're talking about is not curriculum hopping. It seems like you have really thought this through, and have many valid reasons for making the switch, i.e.:

My boys have been doing CLE for English for years and they do really well with their style.

I feel like they explain things quite well and give ample opportunities to apply what was taught.

I also feel that with CLE they will keep their work more organized.

I also like that CLE schedules flash card work and speed drills. That will help younger son SO much.

The downside is that they will both have to go back into CLE grade 4. They will not be happy with that but after looking at the diagnostic test I believe that is where they should be. My thoughts were that we would skip anything that they have mastered in TT and work through the summer to get back on grade level. I think if we work hard we should be ok by next year.

I think this is a very good idea, and not really a downside in the long run. In most math programs, 4th grade is where the focus shifts to fractions/decimals/percent, etc. — the areas where conceptual understanding is so critical to success in higher math. It's been said many times on the HS board that the biggest struggle kids have with calculus is not understanding algebra, and the biggest problem kids have with algebra is not truly understanding fractions/decimals/percents/ratios. IMHO, going back to CLE4, and making sure those concepts are rock solid, will turn out to be an excellent decision and not a "downside" at all. (If it bothers the kids, you can explain that the "grade level" listed on curriculum often has as much to do with marketing as it does with content. ;) )

Jackie

I agree with lisamarie — what you're talking about is not curriculum hopping. It seems like you have really thought this through, and have many valid reasons for making the switch, i.e.:

I think this is a very good idea, and not really a downside in the long run. In most math programs, 4th grade is where the focus shifts to fractions/decimals/percent, etc. — the areas where conceptual understanding is so critical to success in higher math. It's been said many times on the HS board that the biggest struggle kids have with calculus is not understanding algebra, and the biggest problem kids have with algebra is not truly understanding fractions/decimals/percents/ratios. IMHO, going back to CLE4, and making sure those concepts are rock solid, will turn out to be an excellent decision and not a "downside" at all. (If it bothers the kids, you can explain that the "grade level" listed on curriculum often has as much to do with marketing as it does with content. ;) )

Jackie

Thank you! This is really confirmation for me. My younger ds especially wants to do well in math. He has big dreams of going to the Air Force Academy to become a pilot. I know that he will need to be strong math and getting that corrected now will help him accomplish his goal.

Thanks,

Elise in NC

We recently switched to CLE after trying Right Start, Singapore, and Math Mammoth. We tried RS in K and switched to Singapore somewhere in the middle of K and used it to the beginning of 1st grade and then switched over to MM. We finished MM for 1st grade and then we started CLE Math for 1st grade because I still didn't think my two sons were really having success with MM and I thought they were struggling with some of it. Not long after starting CLE Math, my sons both said they hated MM, which was a big surprise to me. I think they might not have realized how much they hated it until they tried something they really liked. CLE is working wonderfully and they have no issues whatsoever understanding it. And they enjoy it, which is worth a lot. Now they feel they are good at math.

When we first started CLE, I skipped over things that they already knew. Sometimes I would just cover a topic quickly to introduce new terminology or a new method or something. When we started seeing more of the things I knew they really needed reinforcement on, we started doing every problem and all of the speed drills and flash cards. Even though we had done tons of math before CLE, neither of my sons had their addition and subtraction facts down. They are now really getting them down cold. We are covering two lessons per day so we are moving along through it very quickly. But this time I know they are understanding the material and they are not struggling with it. That brings a lot of peace of mind.

I hope it works out for your sons too.

We recently switched to CLE after trying Right Start, Singapore, and Math Mammoth. We tried RS in K and switched to Singapore somewhere in the middle of K and used it to the beginning of 1st grade and then switched over to MM. We finished MM for 1st grade and then we started CLE Math for 1st grade because I still didn't think my two sons were really having success with MM and I thought they were struggling with some of it. Not long after starting CLE Math, my sons both said they hated MM, which was a big surprise to me. I think they might not have realized how much they hated it until they tried something they really liked. CLE is working wonderfully and they have no issues whatsoever understanding it. And they enjoy it, which is worth a lot. Now they feel they are good at math.

When we first started CLE, I skipped over things that they already knew. Sometimes I would just cover a topic quickly to introduce new terminology or a new method or something. When we started seeing more of the things I knew they really needed reinforcement on, we started doing every problem and all of the speed drills and flash cards. Even though we had done tons of math before CLE, neither of my sons had their addition and subtraction facts down. They are now really getting them down cold. We are covering two lessons per day so we are moving along through it very quickly. But this time I know they are understanding the material and they are not struggling with it. That brings a lot of peace of mind.

I hope it works out for your sons too.

This is exactly what I am hoping for. I keep reading that CLE is a great math program and I believe it will be a great fit for them both. Thanks so much for the encouragement!

Elise in NC

I am using TT 3 for my 2nd grader. She loves it, but it is not challenging her at all. I went ahead and bought MM and we have just begun 2A. MM really makes you think! I sit with her while she does her MM lesson, which takes about 15 minutes. Then I send her to do her TT lesson which is another 15-20 minutes. So far, so good. I really like how MM teaches mental math, and I like the simplicity of TT. I know I will stick with TT for the long haul, and combined with MM we will probably be able to skip TT 4 and go straight into TT 5th grade... That is how advanced MM. I'm not willing to part with TR because I know I'll need it when we get to higher level maths;)

I am using TT 3 for my 2nd grader. She loves it, but it is not challenging her at all. I went ahead and bought MM and we have just begun 2A. MM really makes you think! I sit with her while she does her MM lesson, which takes about 15 minutes. Then I send her to do her TT lesson which is another 15-20 minutes. So far, so good. I really like how MM teaches mental math, and I like the simplicity of TT. I know I will stick with TT for the long haul, and combined with MM we will probably be able to skip TT 4 and go straight into TT 5th grade... That is how advanced MM. I'm not willing to part with TR because I know I'll need it when we get to higher level maths;)

Looks like you have a great plan and its working well! Thanks for sharing.

I originally bought TT for my high schoolers and then began using it for my younger kids. I'm finding that at higher level math my kids need an instructor. My oldest did well with a combo of Saxon and TT but if she had had an actual teacher I think it would have been better. My younger dd is doing TT Algebra I right now and I am able to help her with it when she needs it. But next year I will have her do an online Geometry class. My plan with my boys is to help them through Algebra I and then move them into online classes as well.

God Bless,

Elise in NC

Looks like you have a great plan and its working well! Thanks for sharing.

I originally bought TT for my high schoolers and then began using it for my younger kids. I'm finding that at higher level math my kids need an instructor. My oldest did well with a combo of Saxon and TT but if she had had an actual teacher I think it would have been better. My younger dd is doing TT Algebra I right now and I am able to help her with it when she needs it. But next year I will have her do an online Geometry class. My plan with my boys is to help them through Algebra I and then move them into online classes as well.

Sounds like a great plan!

One option for going through lessons quicker is to do two lessons in one day, however, don't do one of the "We Remember" sections. For example, do lesson 1, the new concept, skip the "We Remember" and then do lesson 2 in it's entirety. I only do this if I feel they aren't needing that much extra review. Just a thought for you.

Good luck,

I just wanted to share that my son is doing TT 5, he's nine. We previously have been using Abeka. He has struggled with all his math facts and that is one thing I noticed TT does not have extra practice in. I discovered xtramath.org. I have him do it everyday. It only takes 5 min or so and drills him on math facts. It's free and easy to use. It starts with addition, then progresses to subtraction, division then multiplication. We have noticed such a difference in his performance since starting that. I highly recommend it.