Menu

This makes me nervous

Plink

I received this e- mail recently

"Are you an unabashed advocate of homeschooling?

Do you feel that traditional schooling is a waste of time?

Are your kids prime examples of the power of alternative

learning methods?

A major television production company is searching for parents

who are strong proponents of homeschooling and other

untraditional learning structures. We are seeking families that

are genuine, unique, and dynamic for an unscripted television

series now in development.

If interested, please email (snip)"

Gah! They are intentionally searching out the extreme homeschool-zelot. I have a feeling this isn't going to turn out well.

What do you think?

I agree. This will not turn out well, at all! T.V. companies need to back off and let us fly "under the radar" as much as possible. Unfortunately, there are some zealots out there who will not agree with that, then everybody and their dog will be asking questions like "Do you REALLY do/say/believe..........like so and so on t.v.?"

This drives me crazy. There are those of us trying to convince loved ones that homeschooling is the proper choice for educating our kids. If all the media talks about are the loonies or just focuses on extremists, how does that help my case? I would love a healthy, non-extreme homeschooling family to be presented sometimes. I suppose they don't make good ratings though. But really, please give me a non-overtly religious 3-4 kid family that's in 4H or scouts or baseball or whatever and does everyday mainstream things that also happens to homeschool I could point my husband toward!

It's a shame they can't make a good "day in the life" show about non-extreme hs families. Something that lets the non-hs community see the real ups and downs so they get a real picture of hsing. Something that would make people realize that hs is a real option and we are not ruining our kids.

Agreed. I'm the first to admit I like some reality tv, but I do feel bad for the normal people who get lumped in with the fringe weirdos. There must be so many pageant moms, dance moms, commercial fishers, pawn shop owners, and even pregnant teens who are sick to death of everyone thinking they're like the nutbunnies on television.

But, sorry, professional kitchen workers...you'll have to pry Top Chef out of my cold, dead hands.

I am unapologetic about homeschooling, but no way in heck would I sign up for a show like that.

Yeah, that pretty much sums it up for me too.

I've always felt sorry for kids on reality TV shows. Momma may want to be on the show, but the kids don't have a choice. Poor things.

Belaqua - I prefer MasterChef to TopChef, but I agree that they are the elite of reality shows.

Are you an unabashed advocate of homeschooling? Yes

Do you feel that traditional schooling is a waste of time? For us, yes

Are your kids prime examples of the power of alternative

learning methods? Sure. They aren't necessarily poster children for homeschooling but I think they've done better than they would have if they had been in a B & M school.

But these are the questions they should really ask and my answers.

Are you an unabashed fan of reality shows? No

Do you think that reality shows are a waste of time? Yes

Are your kids prime examples of the kind found on reality shows? No