Menu

Dumb question. College Algebra?

It starts fairly basic and moves very quickly.

I would guess whether it goes past your Algebra II

background would depends upon what that included.

You couldn't do it with no algebra background.

Here is a link to Thinkwell's: http://www.thinkwell.com/instructor/product/collegealgebra

This page has Lial's Table of Contents: http://www.pearsonhighered.com/educator/product/Essentials-of-College-Algebra/9780321664990.page

I've been researching dd's freshman college classes the past couple of weeks and in the description of the "College Algebra" it states:

The goal of mathematics is to expand students’ understanding of

mathematics beyond the entry-level requirements for college and to extend

their knowledge of mathematics through relevant mathematical modeling

with applications, problem solving, critical thinking skills, and the use of

appropriate technologies.

I'm taking that to mean that it is beyond Alg. 2

It is higher than regular Algebra.

I've been researching dd's freshman college classes the past couple of weeks and in the description of the "College Algebra" it states:

I'm taking that to mean that it is beyond Alg. 2

It starts fairly basic and moves very quickly.

I would guess whether it goes past your Algebra II

background would depends upon what that included.

You couldn't do it with no algebra background.

Here is a link to Thinkwell's: http://www.thinkwell.../collegealgebra

This page has Lial's Table of Contents: http://www.pearsonhi...0321664990.page

My understanding from friends who have had kids take college algebra is that it is algebra 3. But this was several years ago so I could be wrong.

I guess that settles it. Thanks, everyone!

College Algebra is sometimes a college credit course and sometimes a remedial college math class (same content, just varies by the difference in the college with higher levels in college and/or major tending to consider it remedial). It is essentially similar to a Pre-Calc course, but goes back and reviews basic Alg before moving quickly on to higher level Alg concepts. Personally, I consider it a good "review" class for students who need it.

It would not be a good substitute for Alg 1 or Alg 2.

Talk about confusing. What if the course is titled Intro to Algebra?

Generally algebra 1.

Most cc math departments will also have a flowchart showing how the prereq courses go and which course leads to the next.

General rule...

Basic math or introductory math or prealgebra.

Introduction or beginning algebra (solving linear equations, operations with polynomials, graphing lines, factoring)

Intermediate algebra (systems of equations, quadratic equations, rationals, maybe exponents and logs, functions)

College algebra (depending on school, this is the first one that you may get transfer credit for...inverses, rational roots theorem, exponents and logs)

Trig

Calculus

A precalc course will often include college algebra and trig together.

Then why does our cc have College Algebra then Trig then Precalc then Calc????? I'm confused.

You'd have to look at a flowchart or topics covered to see what the differences are. Trig is different from algebra and is often covered elsewhere - for us - the basic stuff is in Geometry and the more advanced Trig is in Pre-Calc. In our school and in local ccs, Pre-Calc comes before College Alg. College Alg can also be skipped entirely and usually is unless the student needs review. My GUESS is since ccs see students coming in who may have gone a few years without doing any algebra (but had them at one point), they feel it is better to review the Alg first, then move on to Trig and Pre-Calc types of topics. It's not a bad idea at that point.

In any case, at many colleges, all of the above are considered high school level courses - esp if one is in a math heavy major.

Then why does our cc have College Algebra then Trig then Precalc then Calc????? I'm confused.

I'm sure this varies, but at the cc my son attended, College Algebra is recognized as satisfying college level core requirements for math and is recommended for those intending to pursue a major which does not require either applied calculus or calculus for STEM majors.

At our local CC, college algebra is the pre-requisite for applied calculus track, while trig & precalc are the two pre-requisites for the more rigorous calculus track. If students need calculus for a STEM field, they take trig/precalc first. If students just need applied calculus for business/health science/etc., they take college algebra first.

There's business calculus that doesn't use trig. College algebra will let you then take bus. calc.

Traditional calculus does require a knowledge of trig, so you'd do college algebra - trig - calc I

Some schools have both college algebra, trig, and precalc.

At those schools, typically precalc is equivalent to college algebra AND trig.

The precalc course is for those students who just need to brush up before calculus.

Weaker students would take college algebra, trig, then calc 1.

So the precalc course is there for more options for the students (accelerated work for those who can, otherwise take two courses).

Again, this will vary from school to school, and most math departments will have more info listed. Also, look at prereqs in course catalog. That's where ours would state the difference between the courses.

There's business calculus that doesn't use trig. College algebra will let you then take bus. calc.

Traditional calculus does require a knowledge of trig, so you'd do college algebra - trig - calc I

Some schools have both college algebra, trig, and precalc.

At those schools, typically precalc is equivalent to college algebra AND trig.

The precalc course is for those students who just need to brush up before calculus.

Weaker students would take college algebra, trig, then calc 1.

So the precalc course is there for more options for the students (accelerated work for those who can, otherwise take two courses).

Again, this will vary from school to school, and most math departments will have more info listed. Also, look at prereqs in course catalog. That's where ours would state the difference between the courses.

I looked at ds' first catalog from cc and the options you describe are similar to those for Central NM CC. My son struggled with math in his early years and was out of sync for quite awhile. Toward the end of high school things started falling into place to the point that he'd have no problem being ready for college so long as he didn't intend to pursue a STEM major. But that's exactly the decision he made late in the game. He, wisely IMO, decided to take a conservative approach and ended up taking all three: CA, Trig, and Pre-calc. In cc he saw record enrollments combined with budget cuts and schedule cutbacks, so students who weren't well grounded in algebra faltered once they started calculus/physics/engineering courses found themselves in a difficult situation.